Wed 14th-Sun 18th Sept: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

1 hour ago, roversspud said:

You WERE close to us after 60 minutes on Sunday on your own patch and still didn't beat us.

We chased the game from the middle of the first half, that's not the close that I would be looking for. Id be hoping for 4-6 points in it all the way through the game before hitting the 60 minute mark. As I mentioned before Fev blew us off the park for 20 minutes in the first half and that ultimatley was enough to win them the game despite the tiredness that Brian Mc described in his interview afterwards. For any team barring Leigh, the danger with Fev is that they are too big and strong early on and capable of taking the game away from you. Its a massive ask to chase a game against such a good side.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, This Sporting Strife said:

Barrow to beat Batley. And contrary to all, I feel that York will beat Halifax comfortably. 

At the risk of getting egg on my facing or jinxing anything, what is your thinking behind this? My big worry is we may be tired after the Fev game and be a bit lethargic and we end up in a bit of an arm wrestle but Ive not seen anything in our first two games that suggest York can win this one let alone win comfortably. Its a one off game though and anything can happen.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gaz Martin said:

I personally think that last week result for both Barrow and Batley to determine which team has the home advantage will determine this week result. 

Barrow home, Barrow win. 

Most Batley fan's I've spoken to are happy with the away draw as the Bulldogs away form is far superior than home 😏 

Edited by BatleyFanAndy
  • Like 1

SIGNATURE

38 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

At the risk of getting egg on my facing or jinxing anything, what is your thinking behind this? My big worry is we may be tired after the Fev game and be a bit lethargic and we end up in a bit of an arm wrestle but Ive not seen anything in our first two games that suggest York can win this one let alone win comfortably. Its a one off game though and anything can happen.

York served up 2 of their worst performances against fax earlier in the season, hoping 3rd time lucky , one crack at it , I'm sure both sides will be up for it 😀😀😀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, georgeb1 said:

York served up 2 of their worst performances against fax earlier in the season, hoping 3rd time lucky , one crack at it , I'm sure both sides will be up for it 😀😀😀

Hi George, must ask the question could the 'worst performances' possibly be because they have faced a better team in Fax, York have not took a point of the top 3 clubs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi George, must ask the question could the 'worst performances' possibly be because they have faced a better team in Fax, York have not took a point of the top 3 clubs.

Not really , they just played poorly against fax .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gaz Martin said:

To be fair you beat us at Craven Park. Just hope now that your last game against Leigh has taken a bit out of the tank.

I think it'll be a tough game for us. We pretty much have what we have now through injuries. I'm not sure our first or second choice hooker will be back. Luke Blake retired in 2016 and made a come back for us and he's been great but we miss the strike of Leak and Kaye. As fast and strong as Greg Johnson is, he's only just back from injury and his match fitness isn't there. Our two first choice centres are out injured. These are the disadvantages of a small squad but this small squad has some real quality when fit. 

On that 'underdog' Bulldog spirit alone I'll say Barrow 16-17 Bulldogs. Afterall we have form in beating the favourites in the big matches.....ask Fev and Leigh 😉 

Edited by BatleyFanAndy
  • Like 1

SIGNATURE

22 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

Discuss this week's Betfred Championship games here.

WEDNESDAY 14th SEPTEMBER
Sheffield Eagles v Dewsbury Rams KO 19:30

SUNDAY 18th SEPTEMBER
Barrow Raiders v Batley Bulldogs KO 15:00 
Halifax Panthers v York City Knights KO 17:30 (Premier Sports)

Barrow 24-18 Batley

Halifax 28-24 York

19 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

It's based on the York V Workington game. I know Workington are struggling but there was something in the York passing game that reminded me of a few other times over the years that James Ford's teams have suddenly clicked and started performing. And it's always when the backs become fluid.  Without going into too much detail, I feel that James has a tendency to overthink the role of the pack and undercook the backs, but that his best teams are when the backs take the baton. And that happened on Sunday for the first time in ages.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Rockingchair said:

As regards the fax-fev fatigue debate at the end of the game a few fax lads sat down because they’d lost a close game not necessarily because of fatigue, the only one who actually laid down was joey leulie who had a foot/ ankle injury . The fatigue/ slowness I observed was the interchange when cuthbertson and Lockwood came on vs fairbank and gwaze , fax’s interchange seemed more successful.

I certainly agree that Gwaze had a cracking game and was easily Fax's most effective player.

Whilst neither Cuthbertson nor Lockwood were especially effective I don't think that led to the fatigue/slowness you describe. Cuthbo came on after 25 minutes when Fev were leading 18-12 and went off after about 47 minutes when Fev were leading 24-12 and still dominating in terms of yardage, and Lockwood went off after 60 minutes.

If there was a turning point it came around the 50th minute when Hardcastle had to go off and Moors switched to his edge back row position, Rovers continued to dominate for a few more minutes but then after 22 sets where Fax had only made 50 metres once they then went for 60m, 59m, 56m, 48m, 68m and 70m on their next six sets.

So if you're a Fax fan you'll think if was Fev tiring, if you're a Fev fan you'll just think our intensity dropped in what was after all a dead rubber and point out that after those six big yardage sets from Fax we held them out for four consecutive sets inside our 20m when the chips were really down, and then held them comfortably in the set that followed the 79th minute try, when Fax should really have been going all out.

Probably a bit of both in truth. We'll see a week on Sunday, if York don't cause an upset this weekend.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I certainly agree that Gwaze had a cracking game and was easily Fax's most effective player.

Whilst neither Cuthbertson nor Lockwood were especially effective I don't think that led to the fatigue/slowness you describe. Cuthbo came on after 25 minutes when Fev were leading 18-12 and went off after about 47 minutes when Fev were leading 24-12 and still dominating in terms of yardage, and Lockwood went off after 60 minutes.

If there was a turning point it came around the 50th minute when Hardcastle had to go off and Moors switched to his edge back row position, Rovers continued to dominate for a few more minutes but then after 22 sets where Fax had only made 50 metres once they then went for 60m, 59m, 56m, 48m, 68m and 70m on their next six sets.

So if you're a Fax fan you'll think if was Fev tiring, if you're a Fev fan you'll just think our intensity dropped in what was after all a dead rubber and point out that after those six big yardage sets from Fax we held them out for four consecutive sets inside our 20m when the chips were really down, and then held them comfortably in the set that followed the 79th minute try, when Fax should really have been going all out.

Probably a bit of both in truth. We'll see a week on Sunday, if York don't cause an upset this weekend.

I suppose all games are watched subjectively and are therefore open to interpretation which is what opinions are all about . Like you say we may see in a week if we’re good enough to get through York . 

I'm heading down to the Halifax-York game tomorrow and looking forward to it. I hope Halifax win but they would do well to concentrate on this game rather than start thinking about a potential match up with Fev the week after.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

22 hours ago, Just Browny said:

I'm heading down to the Halifax-York game tomorrow and looking forward to it. I hope Halifax win but they would do well to concentrate on this game rather than start thinking about a potential match up with Fev the week after.

I don't think there's any doubt about Fax getting ahead of theirselves. Today will be the last game of the season for one of Fax/York. We need to make sure that is not us. Up The Fax❗🏉

2 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

Good luck to Barrow, Batley and York for todays games

Nothing in the Fax direction then, it must be like a little Island for you in Bradford Bully, t'other day you wanted Leeds to the East to fail, now Fax to the South West, how about Keighley in the North West, or even Huddersfield to the South do you dislike them all?☹

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Nothing in the Fax direction then, it must be like a little Island for you in Bradford Bully, t'other day you wanted Leeds to the East to fail, now Fax to the South West, how about Keighley in the North West, or even Huddersfield to the South do you dislike them all?☹

You know how local rivalries work right?

• Like 2