Wed 14th-Sun 18th Sept: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

11 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

In all honesty as we were watching Batley last weekend with one eye on proceedings at London-Barrow, it was a pretty common consensus that you’d have to fancy whichever team finished fourth given the respective home advantages, but fair play it was obviously some result and clearly the bookies were of a similar viewpoint (hope you cashed in on Batley at 19/10!)

OK, yes the home advantage can count but not for Halifax yesterday. Plus Batley have a better away record than at home, just same as I mentioned on another thread where everyone were backing Barrows 'home advantage'.

SIGNATURE

6 minutes ago, BatleyFanAndy said:

OK, yes the home advantage can count but not for Halifax yesterday. Plus Batley have a better away record than at home, just same as I mentioned on another thread where everyone were backing Barrows 'home advantage'.

Ironically we have won away at Batley and York but beaten by you twice and York at home so it is a funny one. 

Probably the biggest win for us is that we had 3600 in the ground with the majority having no work tomorrow hence will have sold a lot of beer and food which helps but obviously would have preferred the win.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BatleyFanAndy said:

There's another away game next week for you that is more important than any that has gone on before this season best of luck with that, and so has not to seem that Batley is my preferred winner best of luck also to Fev, no disrespect to York I hope that it is a hard close game at Leigh but realistically I can only see one winner even moreso with the aforementioned home advantage, so I welcome whoever takes the spoils at POR next Sunday.

11 minutes ago, RSN said:

Ironically we have won away at Batley and York but beaten by you twice and York at home so it is a funny one. 

Probably the biggest win for us is that we had 3600 in the ground with the majority having no work tomorrow hence will have sold a lot of beer and food which helps but obviously would have preferred the win.

Good attendance that , well done , keep up the good work , always enjoyed visits to Barrow 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RSN said:

The trick is getting all of them speccies back in RSN, when Leigh got promoted in 2016 Mr Beaumont opened the gates free to all and the attendance was 10,556, in SL the next season there was an average 'home attendance'of approx 5,500 so that is about 5,000 miserable bhuggers who couldn't be bothered after.

Thank you for all your concern. The Ox is totally fine this morning although I do have a sore head. 🤣

Fair play to York I thought they were the better team and for us it was just one of those days where everything we tried seemed to go further to us losing the game rather than winning it. I thought the Tangata no try summed up our game, it was literally harder for him not to score than it was for him to score. Ive said during the week that my big fear about playing a full team against Fev last week was that it could effect us this week and I think that played a part and turned out to be a big mistake as York looked quicker in every aspect of the game.

As it is its another good season in the bank and I think we are closer to Fev than we were last season and have put a little bit of distance between ourselves and the chasers in the normal season and hopefully we can build on that next season after keeping most of the squad together. On a personal level my amateur team has a big semi final next week and I were worried that unless we got the late kick off I would have to miss it and the pee up afterwards so every cloud and all that. 😁

• Like 2

Just for context here , as I understand it , the last time Leigh won a play off game ( not counting the 8 s ) was the 2004 GF against Haven 🤔 

I forgot the 2014 season , when we did win the GF against Fev at Headingley 

Edited by GUBRATS
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Just for context here , as I understand it , the last time Leigh won a play off game ( not counting the 8 s ) was the 2004 GF against Haven 🤔

Won the 2014 play offs, but no promotion at stake then. But you're right, not a great record in the play offs overall.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

The trick is getting all of them speccies back in RSN, when Leigh got promoted in 2016 Mr Beaumont opened the gates free to all and the attendance was 10,556, in SL the next season there was an average 'home attendance'of approx 5,500 so that is about 5,000 miserable bhuggers who couldn't be bothered after.

We have averaged 2500 this year to be fair with a good chunk of that season tickets which weren't eligible for this game. 

I suspect we will be in a pretty strong position next year. 12/17 who played yesterday all came through amateur clubs in the local area. With averaging 2500 this year and looking a strong club I suspect we will be able to compete with the likes of Fax/Batley/Widnes/Bradford this year and sign some seasoned championship/lower SL players whilst coming up we didn't. We have already signed Ben Evans from Bradford and Greg Worthington is heavily rumoured from Fax as it was referenced on a podcast he had signed. 

The best bit about it is we aren't relying on it via one person putting money in to build our squad. We won the comp in 09 with one person putting a large amount of money in and it nearly bust us when he was removed. Growing crowds organically and having steady income streams is definitely the best long term solution. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, This Sporting Strife said:

I think it's a distinct possibility that York can pull of the 'game of the century' and beat Leigh. 

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

A one off game , anything can happen 

I am usually the wary one, but I will go with the opinion of Karl Pryce last night in previewing this game when he said "even if Leigh have an off day they will not lose this game" 

Anyone know what odds the bookies are giving?

15 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I am usually the wary one, but I will go with the opinion of Karl Pryce last night in previewing this game when he said "even if Leigh have an off day they will not lose this game" 

Anyone know what odds the bookies are giving?

Leigh were 1/7 to win the GF with Sky bet prior to this weekends games.

Edit. 1/9 now, Fev 5/1 and Batley/York both 40-1

Edited by LeytherRob
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BatleyFanAndy said:

I said on a previous thread, places 3-6 were up for grabs and any team might beat any other. As for Batley, our slope does us no favours, or hasn't this past couple of seasons. 

Yesterday was the result of CL managing the squad over the fast 5-6 weeks. We have been patchy over the last month or so, but managed to get our strongest team out for our biggest game so far.

• Like 1