Sat 17th Sept: SL: St Helens v Salford Red Devils KO 13:00 (Sky & Channel 4)

Who will win?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Salford Red Devils

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/09/22 at 12:00

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

All I can say is that given my refereeing experience I would have given a penalty try 

That's fair enough and as I say, I would been happy to see it given..

I do think it is one where the ref on field is best to make the call as he has a sense of how fast the ball and players are moving that you don't get as well on tv

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Indeed.  I prefer RU's approach on this. 

Makinson fouled over the try line as a Salford player was hoping to score.  The bebefot of the doubt shouldn't go to Saints. 

Interesting, I never knew that. It is an approach that should be investigated for sure.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Totally agree and no leniency because he would be selected for England.

Yes , and we don’t need illdisciplined lock forwards who do silly things . Luckily we have Victor Radley instead .

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Thank the Lord that ended. A markable difference in performance between the first and second half in both teams there. As comfortable as it should have been for Saints after that first half, the second was a hard slog. 

Kendall couldn’t have been in a better position for the penalty try “controversy” and I’m not sure what the video ref would have ascertained that Kendall couldn’t/wouldn’t have seen. 

Salford get the off-season to learn the rest of the dance moves to the YMCA. They’ve nailed the Y whenever one of their own players was tackled. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Indeed.  I prefer RU's approach on this. 

Makinson fouled over the try line as a Salford player was hoping to score.  The bebefot of the doubt shouldn't go to Saints. 

The referee has to be certain he will score to award a penalty try, couldn't be so sent him to the sin bin and awarded a penalty. Under the current rules he couldn't have done anything else. I'm a Saint's fan and don't agree with it but thems the rules, can't just change them in a semi final. 

Yet another Saints v Leeds Grand Final. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

I have been shot down on this site for saying player's put their head into the contact area and the tackler should not be penalised, but people tell me I am wrong, so someone please tell me why Welsby got away with the head contact in that tackle.

Because it was an accidental head contact.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

So we’ve got Saints v Leeds again. Not sure who I want to lose the most.

Another Leeds Saints final, might cancel sky sports this weekend instead of waiting till next Sunday.

3 minutes ago, hullste said:

The referee has to be certain he will score to award a penalty try, couldn't be so sent him to the sin bin and awarded a penalty. Under the current rules he couldn't have done anything else. I'm a Saint's fan and don't agree with it but thems the rules, can't just change them in a semi final. 

Yet another Saints v Leeds Grand Final. 

People often used words like 'certain'  or 'definitely'  around Video Refs.  Tomkins on C4 has just said 100% certainty.  

There is no such clause contained. 

The laws simply state that a penalty try is awarded if "in the refs opinion a try would have been scored..." 

We need to stop adding other words to set the bar higher. Now in this instance the refs opinion was it wouldn't,  so fair enough,  but we probably need a discussion as to whether penalty tries are a thing in RL. 

Trying to listen that, when you should be there, full of COVID was "difficult."

Well done Salford. Almost there in the end.

That was our 4th semi final in seven years for the club that doesn't bring anything to the Game.

Going to get some serious rest as I am utterly shattered, come back in the next few days, watch it again, listen to my mates you aren't diseased and went, read some of the comments on here and draw my own thoughts.

Edited by idrewthehaggis
  • Like 2

Just now, dkw said:

It's 10 seasons since saints v Leeds was the final.

Its still the same old boring though. I’ve not really got too much interest in the final to be honest. Maybe I would have had a bit more had Salford got there to possibly see a new name on the trophy.

Just now, Jughead said:

Am I right in saying that people want Welsby banned for Ackers’ terrible attempt at tackling technique? 

I think it is for the shoulder to the head on a Salford player he was tackling.