Sat 17th Sept: SL: St Helens v Salford Red Devils KO 13:00 (Sky & Channel 4)

Who will win?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Salford Red Devils

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/09/22 at 12:00

Just now, 7723 said:

I think it is for the shoulder to the head on a Salford player he was tackling. 

Are we on about the same incident? Welsby had the ball when Ackers made a woeful attempt at a tackle and Taylor attempted a decapitation (not for the first time today). 

I think there was doubt that he would have scored, but i do think there needs to be more of a benefit of doubt on penalty tries. Union probably go too far the other way.  

Great coverage from C4 too.  Loved what they have done and gone about things.  

• Like 2

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Time after time we take what should have been a shining example of how sport should be played and we cover it in so much Referee controversy that it ridicules the contest.

The Ref had just watched Bennison race through from nowhere to ground a ball right at the dead ball line. Why then does he seem to think it’s impossible for Lafai to do the same but for the professional foul?

so now everyone is talking about Salford being robbed and the result being a travesty

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Indeed.  I prefer RU's approach on this. 

Makinson fouled over the try line as a Salford player was hoping to score.  The bebefot of the doubt shouldn't go to Saints. 

If a defender is stupid enough to blatantly stop an attacker from attempting to ground the ball it should be a PT for me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

No team actually is in SL Tommy, the standard has been dropping year on year for a good while.

I don't disagree. I think the 3-peat Saints would have been humbled by their NRL equivalents in WCCs if they had happened.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Are we on about the same incident? Welsby had the ball when Ackers made a woeful attempt at a tackle and Taylor attempted a decapitation (not for the first time today). 

No, its the one where Welsby clearly makes contact with his shoulder to the Salford players head. 

• Confused 1

Patwigaw

2 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I think there was doubt that he would have scored, but i do think there needs to be more of a benefit of doubt on penalty tries. Union probably go too far the other way.  

There’s always doubt, but I’d have given a penalty try for that tbh. Not sure it would have necessarily changed the result but it would have made more trouble for cardio wards in hospitals across the northwest. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, hullste said:

Yet another Saints v Leeds Grand Final. 

Wasn't the last one 11 years ago?

We've had 2 Saints v Wigan GFs since then, and 2 prior to that also. Hardly a difference whether it was Saints v Leeds or v Wigan.

Hell, there's even been a final involving Leeds v Salford since the last time Saints played Leeds in one!

• Like 3
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 minute ago, Stuff Smith said:

100% agree.

Did anyone opt to watch this on Sky?

My channel 4 coverage started buffering just before Brearley’s try, so had to watch the last 20 minutes on Sky. It was dire. We know how bad Wilkin, Baz and Terry are, but I think that JJB is the worst of the lot.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I don't think we should be afraid of punishing foul play. 

A foul in football like this (a goal scoring opportunity)  would be a red card,  in RU it would be a penalty try,  in RL (where awarding a try is less of a huge impact)  we bottle it and give the most lenient punishment. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I don't think we should be afraid of punishing foul play. 

A foul in football like this (a goal scoring opportunity)  would be a red card,  in RU it would be a penalty try,  in RL (where awarding a try is less of a huge impact)  we bottle it and give the most lenient punishment. 

If you go with the football analogy, bringing a player down in the area when he has an open goal would only be a penalty, not a goal though.

4 minutes ago, Roy Haggerty said:

There’s always doubt, but I’d have given a penalty try for that tbh. Not sure it would have necessarily changed the result but it would have made more trouble for cardio wards in hospitals across the northwest. 

Yeah, but you’re Kurt Haggerty’s dad so that makes you biased!

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

Comfortable for the most part. Salford come and tried to match Saints’ intensity and wanted to put big shot after big shot on but it’s not worked and in attack the struggled to get out of their own half and Saints looked comfortable. 

Then sheer stupidity happened. There’s no defending Morgan Knowles. It’s not naive or accidental. It’s stupid and idiotic. It was plainly obvious he’d been penalised today and quite possibly next week, if we get there, too. To get out of that period only conceding one try was a bit of a win in the end. 

A lot of head holding and injury feigning from Salford. It’s embarrassing and Tyler Dupree needs a game ban for feigning a crusher tackle. 

Keep up the intensity in defence and Saints win by a few scores. 

Arrogant to the end.👏👏👏

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

People often used words like 'certain'  or 'definitely'  around Video Refs.  Tomkins on C4 has just said 100% certainty.  

There is no such clause contained. 

The laws simply state that a penalty try is awarded if "in the refs opinion a try would have been scored..." 

We need to stop adding other words to set the bar higher. Now in this instance the refs opinion was it wouldn't,  so fair enough,  but we probably need a discussion as to whether penalty tries are a thing in RL. 

Beat me to it, Dave. I don't where this myth about the referee being certain comes from. The laws of the game are as per your quote.

• Thanks 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.