Fri 16th Sept: SL: Wigan Warriors v Leeds Rhinos KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/09/22 at 19:00

24 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I imagine at that point in the game with Leeds looking like Winners, Leeds would have done all that they could to make sure he either passed the test or did not take the test knowing he would miss the grand final. The way he were on the field there isn't any chance he passed the test without some other goings on.

Doesn't an independent doctor not aligned with any club do the testing, if not then Salford certainly missed a trick last week.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dkw said:

Leeds have completely made a mockery of this kind of opinion, they came into the playoffs hot and firing, and that's carried them through to the final.

Eh? That doesn't make sense. It is precisely the system that allows them to do that.

23 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Under our system in SL/Championship it would not be right to crown the "League Leaders" as Champions due to the extra fixture of the Magic/Bash weekends, theoretically that one fixture could win or lose the crown for a club, if it was a straight home and away season of games then there would be no need for a play off system.

Wasn't the Premiership a trophy that originated when every team did not play every other one due to having one big league, then carried on because it was a money spinner at the end of the season?

Well Magic is a different debate and wasn't in place when the play offs were introduced. I personally don't think Magic should dictate a league system. A league system should dictate if whether we have Magic and what form that should take.

Cracking performance by Leeds. Superbly coached, but superbly executed. And that’s after a hard trip to Catalans. I hope they can lift themselves again next week. 

For us, Peet has made few mistakes, but playing Powell was a massive one. There are at least 20 better hookers in SL, including 2 at Wigan. I am not saying we would have won, but with O’Neill our attack would have been a lot better. Fingers crossed Peet susses that.

This has been a far far far more enjoyable year than I dreamt it would be, and with the right recruitment (and as importantly retention) we will go well again next year. For week after week, month after month we have played fantastic rugby. 

Edited by Exiled Wiganer
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, dkw said:

it helps having French and Field in the team and allowing them a free run to play off the cuff though.

That is the luxury that Mr Lam did not have and one that Matty Peet should give a huge thank you to Mr Lam for bringing them to the Wigan club.

Also there is no lack if expansive football from the team that Mr Lam presently coaches.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, dkw said:

I don't mind admitting I thought they had made a mistake with that coaching team announced at the start of the season, I was very wrong.

15 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

A lot of people were.

Same goes for Rohan Smith! Both show it's not necessarily about being a big name.

• Like 1

I've just watched the post-match stuff as I missed it last night,  and I must admit,  Sky did a cracking job.  They got right in among the players,  great honest interviews with the coaches,  focus on a couple of players,  the great video screen review feature,  videos of the players celebrating in the changing rooms. It all captured the highs and lows of top sport. 

I'd love to see them getting in closer to the players and fans week in week out,  they are our biggest assets. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

Well Magic is a different debate and wasn't in place when the play offs were introduced. I personally don't think Magic should dictate a league system. A league system should dictate if whether we have Magic and what form that should take.

Yes but it the principle of having the extra figure, that can skew-whiff the league ladder.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

That is the luxury that Mr Lam did not have and one that Matty Peet should give a huge thank you to Mr Lam for bringing them to the Wigan club.

Also there is no lack if expansive football from the team that Mr Lam presently coaches.

Have you not heard any interview with Wigan players this season, such as the one with Leuluai last night, where they credit Peet and lavishly praise all the improvements he has made? It is also noticeably different that similar interviews when Lam was there. It is very clear that Lam did a poor job at Wigan and that the players thought so too. No amount of revisionism on your part, just because Lam is now at Leigh, will change that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RayCee said:

I was about to give you an uptick (on this site the equivalent of a Paul Hollywood handshake..well maybe not) except for the minor premier comment. To me, collecting the most points over a long, bruising season is an achievement that shouldn't be minimised. I view the word 'minor' as an insult for the effort required to win the league. 

The finals is another competition worthy of the end to the season. However, if Saints win the GF, they will do so with just two victories. They won 21 in taking the league title. 

i think leeds know it's been a bruising season with the horrors of injuries they have had but just as in another bruising sport boxing it's not so much a case of needing to win every game but a knockout in the final round is just as important. if saints or Salford get that knockout the grand final and go on to win it then they deserve to be champions just as leeds would if they win.  you don't go into a competition and 9 months later change the rules. 

saints took the foot off the pedal at the end of July and have been costing and it could come back to bite them.

• Like 1

Is there a definitive announcement on Sezer? I've heard about four different conflicting reports about whether he'll be able to play in the GF.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, paul hicks said:

i think leeds know it's been a bruising season with the horrors of injuries they have had but just as in another bruising sport boxing it's not so much a case of needing to win every game but a knockout in the final round is just as important. if saints or Salford get that knockout the grand final and go on to win it then they deserve to be champions just as leeds would if they win.  you don't go into a competition and 9 months later change the rules. 

saints took the foot off the pedal at the end of July and have been costing and it could come back to bite them.

Boxing is a different scenario. In a boxing match the rounds make up only one fight. 

The rounds in SL make up one league competition. The finals are a reset with the points accrued during the season no longer valid. It's a new competition.

Form during the season determines where you finish in the league. Form going into the finals can produce a different result. That what makes the finals interesting in their own right. 

Edited by RayCee

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

20 hours ago, Bod said:

Leeds or Salford potential Champions. Laughable system that gets worse every year.

If you are still having a recurring nightmare after more than 10 years you really should seek help 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK