The Redcliffe Dolphins

9 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Talks of mergers and relocations are wide of the mark. Mergers have proven themselves to be fatal.

The Dragons are a basket case, with the Illawarra name almost lost, yet being the obvious permanent future for the club now the merger has happened.

Wests have an even bigger identity crisis and still neglect their obvious lifeline to the south west of Campbelltown to preserve an ageing Balmain brigade.

Northern Eagles… say nothing more.

Relocations of Sydney clubs is equally ludicrous. The clubs are established entities that each have at minimum 100k supporters of varying fandom. The key is to turn more of the “got the shirt” brigade into consistent live consumers.

In saying all that, if you had a fresh canvass, you wouldn’t have that many Sydney clubs in a new competition. So why on earth are people keen on diluting Bris/SE Qld even further once the Dolphins have arrived. 

And lastly, Northern Dolphins is not one for the purists, but, the name captures north of Brisbane, up to Sunshine Coast.

No to Northern Dolphins..... after Northern Eagles I'm allergic to that name. The choices for the club name should be either:

1. Brisbane Dolphins (If you can have two Manchester soccer clubs in a soccer mad city, why not two Brisbane clubs in a RL mad city) 

2. North Brisbane Dolphins 

3. Moreton Bay Dolphins

21 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Talks of mergers and relocations are wide of the mark. Mergers have proven themselves to be fatal.

The Dragons are a basket case, with the Illawarra name almost lost, yet being the obvious permanent future for the club now the merger has happened.

Wests have an even bigger identity crisis and still neglect their obvious lifeline to the south west of Campbelltown to preserve an ageing Balmain brigade.

Northern Eagles… say nothing more.

Relocations of Sydney clubs is equally ludicrous. The clubs are established entities that each have at minimum 100k supporters of varying fandom. The key is to turn more of the “got the shirt” brigade into consistent live consumers.

In saying all that, if you had a fresh canvass, you wouldn’t have that many Sydney clubs in a new competition. So why on earth are people keen on diluting Bris/SE Qld even further once the Dolphins have arrived. 

And lastly, Northern Dolphins is not one for the purists, but, the name captures north of Brisbane, up to Sunshine Coast.

Good post with plenty of very valid points. As you say with a blank canvas you would do things different but I don't think 9 clubs covering a densely populated area of 5+ million is that crazy. In England we have plenty of cities with populations of circa 500,000 with 2 big Football teams. It's not particularly an issue for me.

The NRL should look to add to the clubs it has, not dilute the strength. The main issue I would have is that Sydney sides are such a high percentage with 9 out of 16, soon to be 17. Get that up to 9 out of 20 or 22 and better cover the country and its less of an issue for me.

5 hours ago, The Daddy said:

No to Northern Dolphins..... after Northern Eagles I'm allergic to that name. The choices for the club name should be either:

1. Brisbane Dolphins (If you can have two Manchester soccer clubs in a soccer mad city, why not two Brisbane clubs in a RL mad city) 

3. Moreton Bay Dolphins

Problem with 1 and 2 is Redcliffe is not part of Brisbane. It is 40 km north of Brisbane. So a bit like renaming Liverpool to be West Manchester.

Owners know they cannot use the Brisbane name for that reason but the population of Redcliffe at the last (2016) census was less than 50,000 so they dont want to tie themselves to that name either. The result….a club with no location (in their name)

The Townsville based club chose to use the North Queensland name to avoid limiting their supporter base to a relatively small city (roughly 4 times size of redcliffe).

6 hours ago, The Daddy said:

3. Moreton Bay Dolphins

Redcliffe is miles away from Brisbane so affixing the name Brisbane to the dolphins is ridiculous.

They need to be known as either the moreton bay dolphins or East coat dolphins.

On 16/09/2022 at 18:56, The Future is League said:

Where would the Brisbane Jets and Brisbane Firehawks play out of?

Suncorp stadium would be my guess but there’s also the QEII stadium which was the former home of the broncos.

Also a stadium might be built in either Logan or Ipswich.

1 hour ago, Anita Bath said:

Problem with 1 and 2 is Redcliffe is not part of Brisbane. It is 40 km north of Brisbane. So a bit like renaming Liverpool to be West Manchester.

Owners know they cannot use the Brisbane name for that reason but the population of Redcliffe at the last (2016) census was less than 50,000 so they dont want to tie themselves to that name either. The result….a club with no location (in their name)

The Townsville based club chose to use the North Queensland name to avoid limiting their supporter base to a relatively small city (roughly 4 times size of redcliffe).

They play the vast majority of their home games in Brisbane, which qualifies them to be called Brisbane. Yes, the clubs roots are Redcliffe and their administration is based out of there but they literally play in Brisbane. There's nothing complex about it

Edited by The Daddy
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

They play the vast majority of their home games in Brisbane, which qualifies them to be called Brisbane. Yes, the clubs roots are Redcliffe and their administration is based out of there but they literally play in Brisbane. There's nothing complex about it

I guess time will tell whether the people of Brisbane will take to a team based and with roots&history outside of the city.

Likewise for the fans in both Redcliffe and moreton bay.

Having said all that I don’t think the Aussie fans are as hung up about names and locations of their sporting teams as we are in the UK.

I guess if the dolphins are winning more than they are losing and are relatively successful it will be less of an issue but if they are struggling on the field and getting tonked most weekends like the titans then that’s another story as their crowds could mirror those of the crushers in their 3rd and final season.

4 minutes ago, Tosh said:

Having said all that I don’t think the Aussie fans are as hung up about names and locations of their sporting teams as we are in the UK.

I guess if the dolphins are winning more than they are losing and are relatively successful it will be less of an issue but if they are struggling on the field and getting tonked most weekends like the titans then that’s another story as their crowds could mirror those of the crushers in their 3rd and final season.

From what I'm told the Crushers crowds were actually quite decent

22 minutes ago, Tosh said:

I guess time will tell whether the people of Brisbane will take to a team based and with roots&history outside of the city.

Likewise for the fans in both Redcliffe and moreton bay.

Apparently there are plenty of people in Brisbane that hate the Broncos and want an alternative

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Agreed, but that doesnt explain why they havent adopted Brisbane as part of their name. They seem to be caught betwixt and between ( not wanting to be identified as Brisbane but at the same time wanting to be seen as something broader than Redcliffe)

I suppose in 50 years time they might turn out to be as successful as Arsenal (although unlike Leigh, the location without a station, there is a station called Arsenal but no location….go for it dolphins!)

6 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Agreed, but that doesnt explain why they havent adopted Brisbane as part of their name. They seem to be caught betwixt and between ( not wanting to be identified as Brisbane but at the same time wanting to be seen as something broader than Redcliffe)

I suppose in 50 years time they might turn out to be as successful as Arsenal (although unlike Leigh, the location without a station, there is a station called Arsenal but no location….go for it dolphins!)

It wouldn’t be RL without it being complexed and simple.

As well as being in the GF of the state-wide mens-open competition the Hostplus Cup, the Dolphins are into the final of the State`s u20`s competition as well. There`s a real buzz around the Dolphins.

Jacob Laban's double propels Dolphins into colts grand final | Warriors

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

As well as being in the GF of the state-wide mens-open competition the Hostplus Cup, the Dolphins are into the final of the State`s u20`s competition as well. There`s a real buzz around the Dolphins.

Jacob Laban's double propels Dolphins into colts grand final | Warriors

Isn’t there around a dozen contracted warriors playing for the dolphins senior side and u20’s?

Eitherway they are mixed in with some exciting talent in both teams.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

13 hours ago, Tosh said:

Redcliffe is miles away from Brisbane so affixing the name Brisbane to the dolphins is ridiculous.

Penrith and Bondi are 65k apart, whilst Mona Vale to Campbelltown is 77k and  all are part of Sydney.

Moreton Bay is part of Brisbane Metro and the Dolphins are more than suitable to don the North Brisbane name.

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Or the Brisbane name 

Not a fan of two teams called Brisbane alone. What is the point of having a geographic location in your club name if it is not going to suitably differentiate your club from another? They may as well be called the Dolphins.

37 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Penrith and Bondi are 65k apart, whilst Mona Vale to Campbelltown is 77k and  all are part of Sydney.

Moreton Bay is part of Brisbane Metro and the Dolphins are more than suitable to don the North Brisbane name.

Sure but the panthers are the Penrith panthers and not Sydney panthers.

1 minute ago, Tosh said:

What’s wrong with being called the Moreton bay dolphins?

I think it’s a great catchy name and the region currently has a population of 500k with forecasts of 700k by 2040.

That name immediately limits the club appeal and reach.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

That name immediately limits the club appeal and reach.

500k is more than a big enough immediate market for the dolphins.

Manchester has roughly the same population and is home to 2 of the world’s biggest football clubs that pack out their stadiums of 76k&55k respectively every other week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

Brisbane metro is a regional transit system. Redcliffe does not fall under Brisbane City Council. It is part of Moreton Bay council.