The Redcliffe Dolphins

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Friend of mine who lives near Brisbane (*) is at the Lions-Melbourne game today and has just put up some photos which means I can play an exciting game of counting empty seats at an AFL game.

Going on the capacity of the Gabba and her somewhat shaky photos - beer has been consumed - I'm going to say there's about 20,000 at the AFL game (tops) versus whatever at the looking-much-fuller NRL derby.

(* - in Australian terms. It's probably a 17 hour drive past some spiders that can kill you, or something. But she says it's near.)

I used to live within walking distance of the Gabba. It’s a nice stadium but when the Brazilian soccer fans started to jump up and down at the Olympic soccer match I attended there, I could clearly see the upper stands bend and flex.

The police and security rushed in to tell them all to stop dancing and jumping.

I’ve been reluctant to return ever since.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Copa said:

I used to live within walking distance of the Gabba. It’s a nice stadium but when the Brazilian soccer fans started to jump up and down at the Olympic soccer match I attended there, I could clearly see the upper stands bend and flex.

The police and security rushed in to tell them all to stop dancing and jumping.

I’ve been reluctant to return ever since.

Did they have issues with the wiring?

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

@gingerjon     "The lights go out at The Gabba in the fourth quarter of an AFL game between Brisbane and Melbourne on FS2. Play is currently delayed."

1 hour ago, Copa said:

the Gabba. It’s a nice stadium but when the Brazilian soccer fans started to jump up and down at the Olympic soccer match I attended there, I could clearly see the upper stands bend and flex.

You might say (or even sing) " Lights go out, walls come tumbling down".

Edited by The Rocket
  • Haha 3

On 23/03/2023 at 20:40, DlEHARD said:

Now AFL cant benefit so easily from the 2nd Brisbane club vacuum. Less news territory for them to have.

Some people saying the Loins` corporates have taken a hit at tonight`s game as well. The Dolphins are back at Suncorp in three weeks time against Souths, that could be 40k + as well.

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Friend of mine who lives near Brisbane (*) is at the Lions-Melbourne game today and has just put up some photos which means I can play an exciting game of counting empty seats at an AFL game.

Going on the capacity of the Gabba and her somewhat shaky photos - beer has been consumed - I'm going to say there's about 20,000 at the AFL game (tops) versus whatever at the looking-much-fuller NRL derby.

(* - in Australian terms. It's probably a 17 hour drive past some spiders that can kill you, or something. But she says it's near.)

No doubt that Vicky Kicky house will inflate the crowd numbers and would have given out 1,000 of freebies

• Like 1

Another solid performance by the Dolphins against a good Brisbane side, and with a lot of injury issues to deal with in the game. They're far from the bottom-dwellers the usual News Limited dinosaurs (who all hate Bennett anyway) predicted in the pre-season. Great for the game. 

• Like 5

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Was at the game last night,what a great occasion that was matched by an exciting game,thought the Dolphins were going to snatch it until the Broncos ran in those 2 quality late tries to take out a deserved win.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Was at the game last night,what a great occasion that was matched by an exciting game,thought the Dolphins were going to snatch it until the Broncos ran in those 2 quality late tries to take out a deserved win.

Atmosphere would have been booming all 80 minutes with plenty of red and gold in the stands?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

What a fantastic game and a fantastic atmosphere.

Although RL is probably Australias national Sport, absolutely no reason why Super League couldn't take snippets of this moving forward and growing our game in the UK and France !

• Like 2

I want to compare/contrast the Dolphins and Leopards.

This might be the closest ever comparison between SL and NRL clubs.

Like Leigh, the Dolphins are really a promoted side from the grade below. Both with a controversial rebrand right before they started the year in the top flight.

Both considered the Little Brothers of their nearest rivals. 

new rise.jpg

30 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I want to compare/contrast the Dolphins and Leopards.

This might be the closest ever comparison between SL and NRL clubs.

Like Leigh, the Dolphins are really a promoted side from the grade below. Both with a controversial rebrand right before they started the year in the top flight.

Both considered the Little Brothers of their nearest rivals. 

There are definite similarities. Do you think the Leopards are doing comparatively well to the Dolphins.

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

There are definite similarities. Do you think the Leopards are doing comparatively well to the Dolphins.

I think both are probably performing better than anyone predicted on the field. But off it is where there is a big difference. 

There's only so much a population like Leigh can support.

new rise.jpg

41 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I think both are probably performing better than anyone predicted on the field. But off it is where there is a big difference. 

There's only so much a population like Leigh can support.

Absolutely. Expecting 50k crowd at Leigh is impossible, but, are they successfully working to the same principles? What is the Leigh avg home attendance for this season?

7 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Atmosphere would have been booming all 80 minutes with plenty of red and gold in the stands?

Yeah,pretty good atmosphere,in fact all 3 NRL games I’ve attended on this trip have been good,lots of Dolphins fans in my section of the ground & big numbers in the bars on Caxton Street.

• Like 3

Wow it was amazing to see over 50k. The Brisbane Derby is back better than ever. 

I love the term Battle of Brisbane.

Dolphins really unlucky to have so many key injuries and suspensions. But they nearly got away with it.

I think everyone is delighted with what the new team has brough to rugby league in QLD and especially Brissie. 

I agree that the next home game at Lang Park against the Bunnies could be 35-40k. It'll be eye opening. The Dolphins keep winning fans.

• Like 3

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

I think some money men, sponsors and broadcasters must be eye off a team from Brisbane's south following the Dolphins Model. South Brisbane, Logan, Ipswich and Toowoomba.

• Like 1

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

I think people outside of Australia or maybe even just Qld probably don't get that the Dolphins have really broken into the mainstream.

I live 3 hours away from Redcliffe. I've had more than half a dozen random conversations about the Dolphins since the season began. A lot were about the fictional Dolphins number 1 fan: Dwayne Bennett.

You can tell it is being marketed by a team of paid professionals, likely a 3rd party marketing business.

This is the stuff Super League need to be doing.

• Like 3

new rise.jpg

12 hours ago, Midlands hobo said:

Jets

The jets have been a disaster since the  Walkers left in 2019.

Bottom of the QRL and leaking 50 points a game.

The city is an economic basket case and struggles as it tries to cope with the outcome of ‘mismanagement’ (an understatement….if you want to interview the previous mayor you have to check out visiting times at HMP).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

The city is an economic basket case and struggles as it tries to cope with the outcome of ‘mismanagement’ (an understatement….if you want to interview the previous mayor you have to check out visiting times at HMP).

Good to see Aussie politicians going back to their roots.

• Haha 1