Powell: Stay fully focused

Warriors News

• Sam Powell says Wigan have to ‘stay fully focused’ as they prepare to face Leeds Rhinos in the Play-Off Semi Final.
  • Powell: “We’ve just got to go out, nail our game plan and leave nothing out there.”
  • Hear more from Sam Powell ahead of Friday’s game HERE.

Sam Powell offered his thoughts ahead of Friday’s Betfred Super League Play-Off Semi Final.

Powell returns to the squad this week after being sidelined for a number of weeks with a foot injury: “It was very frustrating to get injured at such a crucial time but I’m grateful that I’m back in contention and have been able to train with the lads again for the past couple of the weeks and the foot feels great.

Just being able to have the extra three training sessions has been big for me, the timescale was a bit longer than I wanted. I was hoping to get a little bit of Rugby in, maybe the Catalans game but it didn’t make sense to push it and if I’d have done further damage it would’ve put me out for the year.”

Ahead of Friday’s game, Powell said: “It’s a massive game for us, I don’t think we could have prepared much better for it as a team, we’re missing Faz [Liam Farrell] which is big but we have a great set of lads and I don’t think we’ll leave much out there.”

👊 Two days to go…

🆚 @leedsrhinos
🏆 @SuperLeague Play-Off Semi Final
🏡 @DWStadium
🗓 Friday 16th September
⏱ 8pm K.O.
#⃣ #SLWIGLEE
🎟 Tickets: https://t.co/UZP3m6Z60T
ℹ Info: https://t.co/mQgrALolcw #WWRL pic.twitter.com/z3nlgCDXK7

— Wigan Warriors 🍒⚪ (@WiganWarriorsRL) September 14, 2022

He added: “They’ve got some good combinations going and they’re playing some good rugby. They beat us [in our last meeting] which is a bit of motivation for us, we’ve just got to go out, nail our game plan and leave nothing out there.”

If selected, Powell will make his 250th appearance for the Club. On the milestone he said: “It’s a great personal goal and one that myself and my family are really proud of. It’s thanks to the Coaches that I have had in the past and the players that I’ve played with, it’s gone really quick and I can’t wait for Friday.

“Highlights – debut, trophy wins. The Grand Finals, World Club Challenges, it’s all been great, I just hope that there’s a few more yet.”

Finally, Powell commented that he hopes the team do the fans proud as they prepare to play at the DW Stadium for the final time in 2022: “They’ve been great [the fans], I think from the beginning of the year when we started the integration with the Community there’s been a real good buy-in, the buzz around the place on fan day is awesome, my kids love coming to game day. I just hope the fans turn up in numbers on Friday and that we can do them proud.”

The post Powell: Stay fully focused appeared first on Wigan Warriors Blog.

View the full article