2 up from the champ in 2023?

15 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Not said that. Clubs shouldnt be in control. They should have a casting vite as it were but not in control. We seem a leader shy sport. I feel someone should take control and drag our sport by the preverbials. We have no confidence in our selves. Clubs shouldnt lead a sport.

two points. the first been the last strong leader we had was Maurice Lindley and even then, nobody was happy.

the other point is would we ever a agree on who that someone should be. I sense a great deal of infighting trying to find that person and even after when many disagree on who it should be.

now here is a for instance. i would nominate Gary Hetherington for the post as he has guided leeds from bankruptcy to perhaps the richest club in the game while expanding all the forms or rugby league within his club and having the biggest community outreach programme in the league. add that to the largest social media presence and the ability to find money making opportunities well that looks a few good reasons to me.now add to that he was a player for a lot of years and a coach then went on to found a club in Sheffield.

now who could possibly disagree with having him as leader needed. well other than fans of every other club in the league of course and many owners of other clubs who would not want to lose any of their power. that my friend is why it will never happen. small, minded owners and equally small, minded fans.

and your choice would be ?.

1 hour ago, paul hicks said:

two points. the first been the last strong leader we had was Maurice Lindley and even then, nobody was happy.

the other point is would we ever a agree on who that someone should be. I sense a great deal of infighting trying to find that person and even after when many disagree on who it should be.

now here is a for instance. i would nominate Gary Hetherington for the post as he has guided leeds from bankruptcy to perhaps the richest club in the game while expanding all the forms or rugby league within his club and having the biggest community outreach programme in the league. add that to the largest social media presence and the ability to find money making opportunities well that looks a few good reasons to me.now add to that he was a player for a lot of years and a coach then went on to found a club in Sheffield.

now who could possibly disagree with having him as leader needed. well other than fans of every other club in the league of course and many owners of other clubs who would not want to lose any of their power. that my friend is why it will never happen. small, minded owners and equally small, minded fans.

and your choice would be ?.

Tbh that's a good shout.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

If it is a 14 team Superleague, there would be no need of a magic weekend. With the intensity of the play-off matches both here and Australia, could we not emulate the 8 team system in Oz? Here the 7th place club South Sydney have already beaten 2 higher clubs in front of 40,000 crowds and play a humdinger of a semi final against Penrith next week. The interest has been immense as it should be for the play offs. Hopefully it can be replicated here.

23 hours ago, paul hicks said:

Lindsay wasn't a strong leader. He had a huge pot of money to 'entice'  clubs to his view,  and he still couldn't get them to buy into his vision.  He made concessions left right and centre. 

I think Lewis was our strongest leader,  as he had a credible vision that he had clubs buy into. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Lindsay wasn't a strong leader. He had a huge pot of money to 'entice'  clubs to his view,  and he still couldn't get them to buy into his vision.  He made concessions left right and centre. 

I think Lewis was our strongest leader,  as he had a credible vision that he had clubs buy into. 

Why did he pack it in?

5 hours ago, Cheadle Leyther said:

If it is a 14 team Superleague, there would be no need of a magic weekend. With the intensity of the play-off matches both here and Australia, could we not emulate the 8 team system in Oz? Here the 7th place club South Sydney have already beaten 2 higher clubs in front of 40,000 crowds and play a humdinger of a semi final against Penrith next week. The interest has been immense as it should be for the play offs. Hopefully it can be replicated here.

I’m not sure of why one extra game makes Magic Weekend obsolete?

Could we emulate the NRL play-offs? In terms of quality, no. In terms of entertainment, quite possibly. 

Lewis was at the RFL for 10 years,  that's more than long enough. Possibly the one thing he can be criticised for,  depending on your view,  was that his succession plan was Wood as CEO which he had put in place a few years before he left. 

I recall speaking to him once and was critical of Wood.  He put up a very staunch defence of him and sung his praises.  I suppose you would expect that,  but he did seem to rate Wood as very able. 

• Like 2

On 17/09/2022 at 09:33, Dave T said:

The saddest thing imo about club RL is that we are further than ever away from a World Club Championship. 

This is the natural next step,  mirroring RU and Football with their international club tournaments. 

It felt like we were maybe working towards something with the 3 game series' a few years back,  and then it all became too difficult and we gave up. I'd move heaven and earth to try and create a plan that sees English,  French,  Aussie,  Kiwi teams playing off. 

What Kiwi teams apart from the Warriors? 

I think the gap in NRL teams to the rest is now so much wider than it has possibly ever been, the intensity of the respective play offs here and down under is testament to that.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I think the gap in NRL teams to the rest is now so much wider than it has possibly ever been, the intensity of the respective play offs here and down under is testament to that.

I think he meant teams as in English,French ,Aussie and Kiwi teams. As in 4 teams one from each nation not multiple Kiwi teams. 

On 17/09/2022 at 13:30, Damien said:

I love summer rugby but there have been negative unforeseen consequences. One of the huge perceived benefits was meant to be both hemispheres playing at the same time and this allowing for more international club and country games. This has just never materialised and it seems to have made these issues worse, not better.

It was discussed at the time when Mo Lindsay hatched his Summer Rugby Idea that it would kill the International game as in no more proper tours to and from the Southern Hemisphere, having been on the '92 tour we had planned to go on the '96 one but that got scuppered and it has never recovered, what joy it was seeing GB playing in Tests and club games over there and welcoming the Aussie and Kiwi sides in tests and to our clubs over here.

21 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

That may be the case,  but this is where things like this can be a real driver of change.  If we can get added investment for this tournament,  which saw a raising of the cap,  then we could afford stronger teams. 

And we know it can happen -  we used to sign more talent from the NRL,  and beat them pretty regular. Money talks. 

If a willing partner wanted to come in and pay £xm per year,  it could be on the proviso that that money is purely spent on playing talent. 

21 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I think he meant teams as in English,French ,Aussie and Kiwi teams. As in 4 teams one from each nation not multiple Kiwi teams. 

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

That is what I was alluding to Bob, so it would be two NRL teams or a club from the Kiwi domestic League system.

I think the detail can be worked through.  I'd like an 8 team comp,  4 from here,  4 from there.