Sean Long to leave Leeds

He went to the Rah Rah's for the money, he's made no secret about that move. His first stint at Saints was a disaster largely because Cunningham gave him the job of defensive coach and not the attacking coach.

I'm sure if he came back to saints and given a proper role more aligned with his skill set he would go well. The fans would certainly welcome him back with open arms.

• Like 2

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

58 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

He went to the Rah Rah's for the money, he's made no secret about that move. His first stint at Saints was a disaster largely because Cunningham gave him the job of defensive coach and not the attacking coach.

I'm sure if he came back to saints and given a proper role more aligned with his skill set he would go well. The fans would certainly welcome him back with open arms.

His skillset as a player and his skillset as a coach are not necessarily the same thing. 

• Like 3

With Jamie Jones-Buchanan taking up a D&I role and Long leaving it seems that Smith sees a bit of a shakeup in his staff is the way forward for next year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, Nothus said:

Take a look at Leeds' attack when Long was there with Agar. Why would any club employ him as attacking coach after that?

In 2020 they won the Challenge Cup and in 2021 were the fourth highest scoring side in the comp averaging 23.16 pts per game. 

smith is bringing in his own assistants although i would think will keep chev walker. he was not in a position to change his coaching team when he came in but now, he holds the cards to make the changes

i expect to see Long go to hull kr  were he should gel nicely with their new coach who likes to have halfbacks as assistants 

5 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

smith is bringing in his own assistants although i would think will keep chev walker. he was not in a position to change his coaching team when he came in but now, he holds the cards to make the changes

i expect to see Long go to hull kr  were he should gel nicely with their new coach who likes to have halfbacks as assistants 

Funnily enough I believe Saints sounded McGuire out about coming over as Wellens assistant. Which he turned down saying it was too far to travel. So Saints are definitely after an assistant coach and I know a couple of their players who are hoping it is Long.  

Edited by bobbruce
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

So does Powell and that's worked out well at Wolves

9 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Funnily enough I believe Saints sounded McGuire out about coming over as Wellens assistant. Which he turned down saying it was too far to travel. So Saints are definitely after an assistant coach and I know a couple of their players who are hoping it is Long.  

you could be right but on the other hand how do you know that Long will be against relocating to hull. After all he lives at least during the week in east leeds where he can often be seen shopping in LIDI before poping into his place a few mins away. fair play to the guy he is always willing to stop and chat about rugby league. even to silly old buggers like me.

Danny McGuire seems to manage the commute from leeds to hull quite nicely every day by the way

Edited by paul hicks

2 hours ago, paul hicks said:

you could be right but on the other hand how do you know that Long will be against relocating to hull. After all he lives at least during the week in east leeds where he can often be seen shopping in LIDI before pooing into his place a few mins away. fair play to the guy he is always willing to stop and chat about rugby league. even to silly old buggers like me.

Danny McGuire seems to manage the commute from leeds to hull quite nicely every day by the way

Hasn't he taken the advice not to do it on your own doorstep? 😛

• Like 1

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

6 hours ago, latchford albion said:

Hasn't he taken the advice not to do it on your own doorstep? 😛

indeed, but it's his own doorstep although really as he lives in a flat perhaps it's a shared one.  he calls it an apartment, but you know what them posh plastic scousers are like

yes, i should have said popping

• Like 1

16 hours ago, paul hicks said:

difference is Long would be willing to relocate just as he has done to Leeds. mind you living in hull err ok maybe a fair way out say Leeds. he could car share with Danny McGuire.

Would you want to share a car with Longy? I've seen smarter dressed people going through dustbins 😉

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Nothus said:

Take a look at Leeds' attack when Long was there with Agar. Why would any club employ him as attacking coach after that?

Just to add to winning the Challenge Cup in 2020 and finishing with the 4th highest points scored in 2021, you can add getting to a Grand Final in 2022 for Long’s time at Leeds. 

22 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Long has come a long way since his playing days. 

No pun intended

On 16/09/2022 at 17:07, EastLondonMike said:

Has Briers been replaced at Wigan? Could be an option.

Thankfully Leuluai is taking Briers' place. The last time Long was on the Wigan coaching staff it's fair to say he didn't make a great impression. I think it was 3 months he lasted before a diplomatically worded statement was released.