The Game Caller

gazza77

21 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Think there's Gingerjon, John M and may be Futtocks that remembers Mick's mumblings whilst in Benidorm. The funniest thread ever. I'm sure it was me And Gingerjon was on at the time.

His coming out as a lifelong (and tear-stained, everything was always tear-stained) Everton* fan was the weirdest.

(* I think it was Everton, may have been another mid-ranking Premier League team miles from Bradford but think it was Everton. Also the Seahawks in the NFL. His passions were evenly shared amongst them all at the time.)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

How many of you have actually met Mick? How many have talked with him?

I have. More than once. He lives and breathes for RL in general and Bradford Bulls in particular. If he lets his passion cloud his judgement, he is not alone here. If you don't like his style of commentary, don't listen to it. Better still  listen and decide which bits to take on board and which to ignore. Don't try and close down someone with a passion for RL in his veins.

Met him in Edinburgh years ago, outside a pub in Rose St, I think it was.  Passion is not enough, though, but one had to acknowledge his determination, staying power and self belief. In reporting and commentating, as in every other endeavour everyone has to start from somewhere on the road to maturity.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

How many of you have actually met Mick? How many have talked with him?

I have. More than once. He lives and breathes for RL in general and Bradford Bulls in particular. If he lets his passion cloud his judgement, he is not alone here. If you don't like his style of commentary, don't listen to it. Better still  listen and decide which bits to take on board and which to ignore. Don't try and close down someone with a passion for RL in his veins.

I think you are mistaken in believing that people are commenting on him for his commentary work. 

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

His coming out as a lifelong (and tear-stained, everything was always tear-stained) Everton* fan was the weirdest.

(* I think it was Everton, may have been another mid-ranking Premier League team miles from Bradford but think it was Everton. Also the Seahawks in the NFL. His passions were evenly shared amongst them all at the time.)

Yep the Seahawks too. You do remember that night though. I'm sure it was you funny as sin and there was only three of us replying.

All due respect though he's not everybody's cup of tea, but from saying on here he was doing hospital radio and asking people's opinion and then getting a bulls gig amongst others. Fair play to him.

• Like 2

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Fair play to the lad ,visited Odsal early this year to watch the Hurricanes in a pre season hit out on a wet and sh***y Saturday afternoon , when the majority of staff at the Bulls seemed to at their most un - customer friendly to visiting supporters ,( a handful that had travelled up from Birmingham )   Mick was the one that got off his a*** , gave me directions , information and  a vaguely cheery welcome ..

Don't always agree with his commentary or his view point but a least he supports his club throughout ..

Edited by Rach
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, gingerjon said:

There are quite a few Everton fans in Bradford. When Bradford Park Avenue were  voted out of the Football League, Bradford City were commonly rumoured not to have voted in favour of re-electing them. No Avenue fan was going to switch to City, so they sought either Leeds or another club. BPA were always a Catholic team (wore and wear green) and so many fans switched to supporting one of the two top Catholic teams ... Manchester United or Everton.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Just now, bobbruce said:

He used his own name. 

Did come back as The Game Caller as well.

And may have had another name as well at one point. Not sure.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

There are quite a few Everton fans in Bradford. When Bradford Park Avenue were  voted out of the Football League, Bradford City were commonly rumoured not to have voted in favour of re-electing them. No Avenue fan was going to switch to City, so they sought either Leeds or another club. BPA were always a Catholic team (wore and wear green) and so many fans switched to supporting one of the two top Catholic teams ... Manchester United or Everton.

Everton were founded by Methodists.

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Did come back as The Game Caller as well.

And may have had another name as well at one point. Not sure.

Tommy the C5t?

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

1 hour ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

Everton were founded by Methodists.

Maybe, but they've been seen as the Catholic team in Liverpool for generations.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/video/2021/feb/22/priest-celebrates-evertons-merseyside-derby-victory-during-service-video

On 17/09/2022 at 13:42, RigbyLuger said:

He's not a journalist, that's the problem!

What is a journalist these days.

When say Martyn, John , Aaron or even Gary became journalists, they would either start brewing tea in the news desk office and then graduated to doing the soft stories like Alf and Gladys' diamond wedding anniversary.

The couple said: "Give and take" was the key to their romance. 

Then after dealing with the daily Police press notices, club reporter Martyn and John would  gain page lead and then their own names attached to articles. 

Council slammed for inaction by Martyn Sadler-our political corespondent.

If they were luckily the Newspaper would pay, but more recently aspiring journos would go to college and complete their NCTJ qualification and then go into the media that way. The reminder might be lads who joined the sports pages, did the niche Games and worked their way thanks to their own unique knowledge.

Different times. Alot of the time it is on line click bait. Over dramatic, silly, contra dictionary headlines to draw you in, endure the advertising and read the minuscule of news presented. 

Anyone with the skills/money to host a website can be this kind of "journalist" rather than a properly trained NCTJ with a an ability to do shorthand rapidly. Many are journalists only in their own heads and are just better resourced versions of us forumistas.

I think we all know which typo the Game Caller is. 

He ain't no Brian Glanville or Dave Hadfield. I doubt he would want to be. He is new breed. Its your opinion whether you like him or not.

We all in some way read the click bait, so in another way it works very well. The communication and the message is heard afar. Fair dos. 

Plus I doubt he is in the NUJ as well.😀

Edited by idrewthehaggis

On 17/09/2022 at 21:36, Ragingbull said:

That gut is exactly why hes had the season hes had.  So much for a captain setting an example.

I agree with this.

You can go into any gym anywhere in the country and find people who work full time in better shape than this... and they aren't getting paid to be in shape.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I agree with this.

You can go into any gym anywhere in the country and find people who work full time in better shape than this... and they aren't getting paid to be in shape.

I was going to say something like this. He just doesn't look like a professional RL player to me in the slightest.

1 minute ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

Except they haven't. Complete myth. 

Yeah,right. Tell that to that priest and his congregation. I bet they'll say "Oh, thanks for that. We never knew. Obviously, we'll switch allegiance to Liverpool immediately."

Have you ever lived in the North of England, post University?

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

I was going to say something like this. He just doesn't look like a professional RL player to me in the slightest.

Definitely.  Being part time (if he is) doesn't cut it.

Just as an example (not showing off!) I trained about 20 hours a week for my Iron Man triathlon while working a full time job that also included a 140 mile round trip commute.

There are amateur sports people up and down the country able to get into better shape than this.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Yeah,right. Tell that to that priest and his congregation. I bet they'll say "Oh, thanks for that. We never knew. Obviously, we'll switch allegiance to Liverpool immediately."

Have you ever lived in the North of England, post University?

Born and brought up in Liverpool. family mixed Protestant and Catholic. Supporters of both LFC and EFC on both sides of family. Played for Blue Union FC in Liverpool Sunday Premier League (Everton supporters Club) with plenty of Non-Catholics. Its just not a thing. People like you may 'see' what they want but its not real.

• Like 2