The Game Caller

gazza77

Just now, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

Born and brought up in Liverpool. family mixed Protestant and Catholic. Supporters of both LFC and EFC on both sides of family. Played for Blue Union FC in Liverpool Sunday Premier League (Everton supporters Club) with plenty of Non-Catholics. Its just not a thing. People like you may 'see' what they want but its not real.

Fair enough.

• Like 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

6 minutes ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

Except they haven't. Complete myth. 

Yup. It is nonsense. There were lots of Catholics supporting Everton because Liverpool had a large Irish Catholic population. In the same way, Liverpool had lots of Catholics supporting Liverpool because Liverpool had a large Irish Catholic population.

If it held any truth at all then the signing of Kenny Dalglish and the subsequent Liverpool-Celtic ties would have ended it anyway.

For most of their history Bradford didn't wear green either so that's a somewhat irrelevant point as well.

Either way, the tear stained drunk who used to populate this board with his endless sobbing was a proud Everton fan, alongside a devotion to the Seahawks and a furious bias towards Bradford Bulls.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

Born and brought up in Liverpool. family mixed Protestant and Catholic. Supporters of both LFC and EFC on both sides of family. Played for Blue Union FC in Liverpool Sunday Premier League (Everton supporters Club) with plenty of Non-Catholics. Its just not a thing. People like you may 'see' what they want but its not real.

It's a perception people have but I've never seen any evidence produced in support of it. I've read previously the origin might be the number of Irish Catholic players Everton had in the 1950's. However it still can be true people were drawn to Everton because they perceived them to be the Catholic club.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

3 minutes ago, Dave W said:

I don't take Gledhill seriously as a journalist but he's obviously a big fan of the Bulls and I don't like to see players taking the p*** out of their own fans. 

I think you have to assume they know each other at some level. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave W said:

I don't take Gledhill seriously as a journalist but he's obviously a big fan of the Bulls and I don't like to see players taking the p*** out of their own fans. 

He asked Gledhill and Gledhill said yes at the Player of Year awards, I believe. He did ask I know that for sure. 

• Like 1

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

47 minutes ago, This Sporting Strife said:

I like the game caller. A lot of people do.  His filmed podcasts are very funny and thoughtful. He's a colourful entertainer and an excellent commentator in the mould of Eddie Waring. He should be on sky or premier sports. The Steve Crossley thing was just a joke. 

Hi Mick. 

• Like 1