Outside Leeds & St Helens Is Anyone Interested in Another Sts V Rhinos Grand Final

OMEGA

Whilst Rugby League is absolutely jam packed with the negative, sour fanbase it has, it’s always going to be where it is. How sad that some have the energy they do to slate the game as much as they do, I often think that if even half that energy was positive, we’d be a far richer sport.

It’s been ten years since Saints met Leeds in a final and for reference, they haven’t met in a Challenge Cup Final for fifty years and met once, in 1975, in the Premiership final so five major finals in forty-seven years is an average of one final every nine and a half years.

I’m a Saints fan, so yeah, I care, obviously. That said, it’s an easy sell from a marketing perspective. I went to all four Saints v Leeds finals (they’ve almost all merged into one big horror show in my mind) and we deserved to lose nearly all of them, if memory serves, and the Saints angle is finally getting one over Leeds. The Leeds angle is easy. They won three in a row themselves, which Saints have matched, whilst none of the Leeds players will have played in any final against Saints, they won’t want that record broken. We’ve also got an in form Leeds side, picked up at their lowest ebb in a generation or two, against a Saints side who’ve won the league leaders shield and been one of the best sides in the competition all year. 

But Rugby League, hey? It’s nothing without negativity. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Whilst Rugby League is absolutely jam packed with the negative, sour fanbase it has, it’s always going to be where it is. How sad that some have the energy they do to slate the game as much as they do, I often think that if even half that energy was positive, we’d be a far richer sport.

It’s been ten years since Saints met Leeds in a final and for reference, they haven’t met in a Challenge Cup Final for fifty years and met once, in 1975, in the Premiership final so five major finals in forty-seven years is an average of one final every nine and a half years.

I’m a Saints fan, so yeah, I care, obviously. That said, it’s an easy sell from a marketing perspective. I went to all four Saints v Leeds finals (they’ve almost all merged into one big horror show in my mind) and we deserved to lose nearly all of them, if memory serves, and the Saints angle is finally getting one over Leeds. The Leeds angle is easy. They won three in a row themselves, which Saints have matched, whilst none of the Leeds players will have played in any final against Saints, they won’t want that record broken. We’ve also got an in form Leeds side, picked up at their lowest ebb in a generation or two, against a Saints side who’ve won the league leaders shield and been one of the best sides in the competition all year. 

44 years since last Saints v Leeds CCF in 1978-one of the best finals ever.

will draw interest from people who may well support an underdog scrapping into the grand final from 5th.  certainly, better than yet another saints v wigan game yet again.

should be interesting to see who people support as its the much hated by other Yorkshire clubs leeds rhinos v the arrogant saints who according to some of their supporters would not lose a game all season.

I'm all for an underdog .

50 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Don’t forget it’s the ‘marching’ derby too!

I honestly don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t be interested, apart from some Wigan and Salford fans of course. Quite obviously two completely different teams to any that played previous finals..

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Of course I'm interested. 

I have been watching Super League (alongside lots of other Rugby League) all year.  Why would I suddenly not be interested in seeing who wins it?

• Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Go one. Give it a go. When was the last time there was a Saints v Leeds GF?

when was the last time saints won a leeds v saints' grand final . it's not often saints' fans have a chance of seeing a first is it.

must have been heart-breaking to lose to leeds in 4 grand finals during their run of the 5 in a row grand final defeat.

do they still have the bridesmaids' dresses in their kit bags .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

I honestly don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t be interested, apart from some Wigan and Salford fans of course. Quite obviously two completely different teams to any that played previous finals..

I was hoping for the opposite result in both semi-finals (plus a Canberra win in the NRL payoffs - it's not been a great weekend).

But of course I'll be watching Leeds and St Helens in the GF.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Stuff Smith said:

Would Saints v Wigan have been more interesting?

No.

Unequivocally. Four in a row or a double in the coaches maiden year whilst not even scratching the surface or the Derby would be Football or rugby Union’s dream final? Ours? “Nah, we dunt wunt sents un wiggin playing in’t final, why dunt new teams win it?”  

14 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Unequivocally. Four in a row or a double in the coaches maiden year whilst not even scratching the surface or the Derby would be Football or rugby Union’s dream final? Ours? “Nah, we dunt wunt sents un wiggin playing in’t final, why dunt new teams win it?”  

As a neutral, no. Sorry, no.

Wigan v Saints? Leeds v Saints?

Usual suspects. Therefore equivalent.

We're not football or RU.

Edited by Stuff Smith
  • Thanks 1