Outside Leeds & St Helens Is Anyone Interested in Another Sts V Rhinos Grand Final

OMEGA

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I wish those RL fans who don't like RL would just go away and not like RL quietly instead of telling us all how much they don't like RL. 

It's a pathetic badge if honor thing isn't it, a battle to dislike something the most. So weird.

• Like 2

Just now, dkw said:

It's a pathetic badge if honor thing isn't it, a battle to dislike something the most. So weird.

Particularly as it's a game between two of our biggest clubs,  following an absolutely superb playoff series with four absolutely compelling battles. 

I'm not sure how anyone can be negative right now -  apart from the disappointed losers of the semis naturally. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Particularly as it's a game between two of our biggest clubs,  following an absolutely superb playoff series with four absolutely compelling battles. 

I'm not sure how anyone can be negative right now -  apart from the disappointed losers of the semis naturally. 

To be fair it's always disappointing to lose one's semi....

• Haha 7

10 minutes ago, dkw said:

Surely that's dependent on which direction it goes from there?

Edited by Dunbar
  • Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

17 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Thank you for that! I am disappointed about the game because I think we made some self inflicted errors. However, what i would say - and I have said this over the years in other contexts, honestly - is that I follow our game from the first game, and watching an entertaining team with interesting stories and great potential for the 6/7 months prior to the GF gives me more fun than watching a team bumping along for months and then emerging at the end. I have seen great, entertaining Wigan teams fall short and dull dull Wigan teams (late era Mr Wane, I am looking at you) prevail. Give me the first any day. So, from my perspective, I am delighted with our year, because it has exciting week after week after week and there is the promise of more to come next year.

I would not swap places with a Leeds fan, even if they win next week, as for much of the year they have been poor to watch. I am not sure I would even swap places with a Saints fan, given that they seem to have ground out largely joyless process driven victories a lot of weeks. There were many times when Wigan were better than Saints when it was clearly more fun watching Saints play. Not this year, in my opinion. As for Salford, I can imagine how righteously indignant they feel at the moment having been robbed of another GF appearance (I haven’t watched the game yet, but I am sure that’s what happened), but their style of play has been sublime week after week for month after month. And I hope they’ve got a lot of joy from that. 

I will watch the game - the worst game of rugby league is better than anything in any other sport - but with interest rather than a sense of particular excitement. That feeling is particularly so this year, as the main event of the year for me hasn’t even started yet. 

Edited by Exiled Wiganer
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Thank you for that! I am disappointed about the game because I think we made some self inflicted errors. However, what i would say - and I have said this over the years in other contexts, honestly - is that I follow our game from the first game, and watching an entertaining team with interesting stories and great potential for the 6/7 months prior to the GF gives me more fun than watching a team bumping along for months and then emerging at the end. I have seen great, entertaining Wigan fall short and dull dull Wigan teams (late era Mr Wane, I am looking at you) prevail. So, from my perspective, I am delighted with our year, because it has exciting week after week after week and there is the promise of more to come next year.

I would not swap places with a Leeds fan, even if they win next week, as for much of the year they have been poor to watch. I am not sure I would even swap places with a Saints fan, given that they seem to have ground out largely joyless process driven victories a lot of weeks. There were many times when Wigan were better than Saints when it was clearly more fun watching Saints play. As for Salford, I can imagine how righteously indignant they feel at the moment having been robbed of another GF appearance, but their style of play has been sublime week after week for month after month. 

I will watch the game - the worst game of rugby league is better than anything in any other sport - but with interest rather than a sense of particular excitement. That feeling is particularly so this year, as the main event of the year for me hasn’t even started yet. 

I think we see the sport similarly EW,  although in being a Wigan fan I think you come to the wrong conclusion!  😉

For me it's all about entertainment,  and I 100% agree with your opening para on this. 

And 100% agree on the WC. 

15 minutes ago, dkw said:

The cricket seems to be filled with adverts about this very subject.

As a regular cricket watcher, I take that personally.

• Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

19 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm not sure how anyone can be negative right now 

I mean, you have met rugby league fans before, right?

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

It's not the fault of Saints or Leeds or Wigan that nobody else has managed to win SL in nearly 2 decades. I enjoy the occasion that it is and hope for a great game with the correct winners at the final whistle.

The first 12 Premierships saw only Blackburn get between Arsenal and United. That didn't damage that league or sport in any way. Same way Wigan Winning the Challenge cup for nearly or Liverpool's dominance of the old 1st division 75-85, sport is sometimes like that, but it just seems to impact the fans of RL more than others.

16 minutes ago, Londonbornirishbred said:

It's not the fault of Saints or Leeds or Wigan that nobody else has managed to win SL in nearly 2 decades. I enjoy the occasion that it is and hope for a great game with the correct winners at the final whistle.

The first 12 Premierships saw only Blackburn get between Arsenal and United. That didn't damage that league or sport in any way. Same way Wigan Winning the Challenge cup for nearly or Liverpool's dominance of the old 1st division 75-85, sport is sometimes like that, but it just seems to impact the fans of RL more than others.

You say long term dominance doesn't damage the sports , but it does , the fans of the clubs that don't get a win become dissolutioned , the fans of the clubs that do win get complacent , it's just that football has so many ,it doesn't show up the same 

I'm not quite sure why anyone equates someone expressing disappointment that Saints and Leeds are in the GF with someone who doesn't like RL. I love RL but there's two reasons why I'm disappointed. One is precisely because I do love the game and can see that less predictability would spread the excitement more widely. The other is more from a selfish point of view that I get so  much more from a game when I care who wins. I can usually make a case for one team over another even when I'm technically a neutral, but in this case, while I'll enjoy the game and admire the skills on show, I really couldn't give a rats bottom who wins, given that two of my favourite teams (in  no particular order) are Anyone But Saints and Anyone But Leeds. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1