Outside Leeds & St Helens Is Anyone Interested in Another Sts V Rhinos Grand Final

OMEGA

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

As I said on the "Salford Vs Huddersfield GF Best for the game" thread, it is far better that we have 3 institutions to keep Super League honest.

Wishing them away doesn't make Super League any better. Its up to Warrington, Hull FC, Catalans, Cas etc to overtake them - and yes I can see the limitations placed on that.

If it had been Salford V Wigan , you would have been more interested than if it had been Saints v Wigan , 100% guaranteed and you know it 

5 minutes ago, north yorks trinity said:

I suspect most people who are feeling disappointed with a Leeds v Saints final aren't actually saying they have zero interest in watching two excellent teams contest a high intensity match of RL, just zero interest in who wins, which I suspect most would agree reduces the anticipation significantly. Also, with an upcoming world cup it feels far from the biggest game of the year.

The OP is very much positioning that view with the attention seeking thread. 

As I said,  people have different preferences on who they'd have liked to see,  but these two got there. 

I personally find it jarring that after 4 excellent playoffs,  the response in RL land is complaints that Leeds have qualified from where they did,  and complaints about Saints and Leeds playing again for the 2nd time in 12 years. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

If it had been Salford V Wigan , you would have been more interested than if it had been Saints v Wigan , 100% guaranteed and you know it 

I'm not sure that's necessarily true. 

I expect many people would prefer to see 1st v 2nd at OT as the purest GF. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Dave T said:

As I said,  people have different preferences on who they'd have liked to see,  but these two got there. 

I personally find it jarring that after 4 excellent playoffs,  the response in RL land is complaints that Leeds have qualified from where they did,  and complaints about Saints and Leeds playing again for the 2nd time in 12 years. 

I just want a different winner Dave , for the good of the sport , simple as 

• Like 1

Just now, GUBRATS said:

I just want a different winner Dave , for the good of the sport , simple as 

I'm sure many do ( I want that to be my team tbh!),  but Salford,  Hudds and Cats got knocked out.  I can still want a new winner and enjoy next weeks GF very much. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Having read some of the rubbish you've posted I have no interest whatsoever in your opinion of me or anybody else 👍

It’s a shame you’ve decided to resort to abusing someone for them having an opinion. I suppose not following the opinion you’re pushing on someone might do that. 

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

More like a discussion seeking thread

It was more a comment on the usual suspects that have reached the GF over the last 25 years

Sts, Leeds, Wigan, Warrington with a sprinkle of Bradford early on

As I said, Keep your knickers on, people are talking about it

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm not sure that's necessarily true. 

I expect many people would prefer to see 1st v 2nd at OT as the purest GF. 

Is that what you'd prefer ? 

Would you have a ' favourite ' in that situation ? , If it was a Salford v Wigan/Saints/Leeds final would you have a preferred winner ? , Be honest , tell the truth 😉

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Nah, they were losers who weren't good enough to get there. Why would that be of more interest?

In all seriousness it doesn't make a difference to me who is there if my team aren't in it. I find an angle sometimes but it isn't something that defines my enjoyment of the match. In fact, the reason I like the Grand Final is that it has sorted the wheat from the chaff, you have to have earned your place to be there.

If Salford were there, it would be because they are deserve to be there more than St Helens. They would create the best test to determine the Winner. They aren't though, so I want to see the team that is better than them.

The reason Salford etc want to be there is precisely because that position is very hard earned, not gifted. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm sure many do ( I want that to be my team tbh!),  but Salford,  Hudds and Cats got knocked out.  I can still want a new winner and enjoy next weeks GF very much. 

And you agree it would be good for the sport ? 

I’m going to really show my hatred of Rugby League now and be really negative!

Equally, I’d love to see a smaller nation like Fiji or Tonga capture the imagination of the wider public and reach the Final of the World Cup instead of two of the three usual suspects Australia, New Zealand and England!

Edited by OMEGA

2 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Equally, I’d love to see a smaller nation like Fiji or Tonga capture the imagination of the wider public and reach the Final of the World Cup instead of two of the three usual suspects Australia, New Zealand and England!

Equally, I'd like to see a driver for one of the smaller teams win the F1 championship, but decades of the same drivers winning year after year haven't held that sport back. Likewise, I don't think people were bored or seeing Usain Bolt win the 100m - they actually tuned in to see him win.  

The idea that RL is suffering because Wakefield can't get to Old Trafford really doesn't hold up to any objective scrutiny.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

I’m going to really show my hatred of Rugby League now and be really negative!

I was thinking that. It would have been great if Tonga got to the WC final last time. They weren't good enough to beat England though. 

If you win you want to have earned it by playing, and beating, the best. If they are good enough they will, if they aren't they won't. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Equally, I'd like to see a driver for one of the smaller teams win the F1 championship, but decades of the same drivers winning year after year haven't held that sport back. Likewise, I don't think people were bored or seeing Usain Bolt win the 100m - they actually tuned in to see him win.  

The idea that RL is suffering because Wakefield can't get to Old Trafford really doesn't hold up to any objective scrutiny.

Who said the sport was suffering and who specifically  mentioned Wakefield

Why don’t you go on an F1 forum and tell them about your proclivities 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Who said the sport was suffering and who specifically  mentioned Wakefield

Why don’t you go on an F1 forum and tell them about your proclivities 

The point is that people talk as if variety of winners is essential for a successful sport that can appeal to new fans, when there's no evidence to back that up. 

I mention Wakefield because in the last 10 years or so, every SL club bar them and Toulouse has either won something (SL, CC, LLS), and/or made it to a major final. RL doesn't have a massive problem with teams not being able to compete to win things.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Nah, they were losers who weren't good enough to get there. Why would that be of more interest?

In all seriousness it doesn't make a difference to me who is there if my team aren't in it. I find an angle sometimes but it isn't something that defines my enjoyment of the match. In fact, the reason I like the Grand Final is that it has sorted the wheat from the chaff, you have to have earned your place to be there.

If Salford were there, it would be because they are deserve to be there more than St Helens. They would create the best test to determine the Winner. They aren't though, so I want to see the team that is better than them.

The reason Salford etc want to be there is precisely because that position is very hard earned, not gifted. 

Then you'd prefer FPTP , that rewards the best over the season , this is a league not a cup , give them the trophy now , promote Leigh now as Keighley have been , sorted 

Plus I don't believe you , you're telling lies 😉 , either that or you are the unfeeling robot I thought you were 😀

3 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

This.