Outside Leeds & St Helens Is Anyone Interested in Another Sts V Rhinos Grand Final

OMEGA

4 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Is that what you'd prefer ? 

Would you have a ' favourite ' in that situation ? , If it was a Salford v Wigan/Saints/Leeds final would you have a preferred winner ? , Be honest , tell the truth 😉

Id prefer my team got there (and won). 

Outside of that,  I generally support the underdogs in most games. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Id prefer my team got there (and won). 

Outside of that,  I generally support the underdogs in most games. 

Me too and I suspect a lot of others also feel that way. I wonder why. I don't think it's about wanting to reward mediocrity nor about not wanting to appreciate excellence. I suspect it's just that a lack of predictability is one of the elements that makes sport exciting. Which sort of goes to the core of this thread I think. Please don't think this is me having a go at anyone by the way, just attempting a bit of amateur philosophy!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, north yorks trinity said:

Me too and I suspect a lot of others also feel that way. I wonder why. I don't think it's about wanting to reward mediocrity nor about not wanting to appreciate excellence. I suspect it's just that a lack of predictability is one of the elements that makes sport exciting. Which sort of goes to the core of this thread I think. Please don't think this is me having a go at anyone by the way, just attempting a bit of amateur philosophy!

I think it's part of what makes sport fun.  Heroes and villains,  supporting underdogs is fun.  It's hard to find an attachment for many sporting events,  and it is more fun when you do have an attachment,  so seeing a surprise result,  or the hot favourites not getting their way is part of the fun. 

• Like 1

To be honest unless it was Salford, then I will say no.

I stopped going to Grand Finals largely as seeing the same three teams lost it's uniqueness. plus the behaviour of some of the supporters left alot not to be desired. Really feels like the Villagers getting overwhelmed in the Big City. 

This year's final has all the portents for a thug fest. Whilst I think these teams have some fantastic players, the evidence is that we see a continuation of Bentley wind up and Welsby head shots. And inept referees. 

I will finish by saying it's not other fans that is the problem, but success apathy of the three biggies.

Edited by idrewthehaggis
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

So, Leeds winning 4 of 5 = fine. Saints win 4 of 4 = games gone. 

Any team that wins any league 4 times in a row or gets to 4 finals is not a good look for that league.

Leeds haven't been to a final in 5 years and have only a Challenge cup win in between so them winning wouldn't be bad. But you can't tell me that Super League is better or looks good with the same team winning the last 3, just like it wasn't when Leeds won 5 around 2010 with Saints making 4 of those finals.

5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I really would appreciate if you stopped telling me my own thoughts, especially when they are objectively untrue. It really does clutter threads unnecessarily.

Stop pretending you're ' holier than thou ' then , you're just like the rest of us , happy for various scenario's as long as your team are part of it 

5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Exactly. This year alone, 6 different clubs were within 80 minutes of the Cup or Grand Final. Half the league!

Perhaps 12 clubs is too small a number to have in serious contention. Perhaps some fans don't like that between the 3 of them, Leeds, Wigan and Saints act as Gatekeepers for the Super League trophy each season. 

6 out of a possible 8 , WOW ! , Sounds better the way you said it doesn't it ? 😉

14 minutes ago, The Lad said:

Any team that wins any league 4 times in a row or gets to 4 finals is not a good look for that league.

Leeds haven't been to a final in 5 years and have only a Challenge cup win in between so them winning wouldn't be bad. But you can't tell me that Super League is better or looks good with the same team winning the last 3, just like it wasn't when Leeds won 5 around 2010 with Saints making 4 of those finals.

What I will say is we’re in a bit of a halcyon period for finals (IMO), not that the negative crowd would like that, and while I hope for a certain result on Saturday I also want that run of good finals and variations to who appears at them to continue.

4 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Maybe not for you but what about potential viewers who only have a passing interest in RL?

I'm in that category with football and would probably watch Man City vs Liverpool in a final but wouldn't if it was Wolves vs Brentford or something similar.

Saints are the best club side and Leeds are the form team and a big club. There's also a lot of history between the two clubs. It should hold a lot of interest for a lot of people 

Did you enjoy the Leicester City title run in ? 

And the Cup win a couple of years back after losing previously ?

Edited by GUBRATS

4 hours ago, paul hicks said:

they need to get themselves up to cap.

you get up to cap by been a successful business instead of just been the local club.

Part of being a successful business in sporting terms is increasing your customer base by winning trophy's 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

And the Cup win a couple of years back after losing previously ?

It’s okay to like more than one thing, isn’t it? 

I enjoyed Salford’s run to the final in 2019 and up to yesterday, I enjoyed Catalans run to the league leaders shield last year. Equally, Saints v Wigan in 2020 and some of the Saints v Leeds, Wigan v Leeds and Wigan v Warrington finals have been excellent, too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, north yorks trinity said:

Which is why I'm accusing people of lying , would a Leeds fan really prefer Saints or Wigan to win a trophy than a Salford or Huddersfield ? 

Not a cat in hell's chance , just as it would work the other way 

10 minutes ago, dkw said:

So what exactly would these benefits be if say Salford won the Grand Final?

For Salford hopefully an increase in interest in Salford , in the wider sport a different narrative ( plenty on here like that word 😉 ) in the Media , the underdog Salford winning the RL title for the first time in ? , For the fans of other clubs who haven't tasted ' champers ' for decades to have a tiny bit more belief because of it , for the fans of Workington to be able to dream that they might do it again , I recall the fans at Haven back in 82 " bloody hell , it's not that special , Town won it a couple of years back " , genuine quote that as well 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jughead said:

It’s okay to like more than one thing, isn’t it? 

I enjoyed Salford’s run to the final in 2019 and up to yesterday, I enjoyed Catalans run to the league leaders shield last year. Equally, Saints v Wigan in 2020 and some of the Saints v Leeds, Wigan v Leeds and Wigan v Warrington finals have been excellent, too. 

The difference is Leicester WON , so you're happy to see the ' plebs ' get a day out as long as they don't actually win ? , Sounds about right 

23 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

And the Cup win a couple of years back after losing previously

Just because I might enjoy watching a new club in the GF doesn't mean that I won't enjoy the St Helens/Leeds final. It should be a good game

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

The difference is Leicester WON , so you're happy to see the ' plebs ' get a day out as long as they don't actually win ? , Sounds about right 

No, you’re putting words into peoples mouths.

I have no influence over games, I just enjoy good games of rugby, which we’ve been blessed to be treated to over many of the finals over the past 5-10 years and see no reason to moan for moaning’s sake.