Outside Leeds & St Helens Is Anyone Interested in Another Sts V Rhinos Grand Final

OMEGA

2 minutes ago, Jughead said:

No, you’re putting words into peoples mouths.

I have no influence over games, I just enjoy good games of rugby, which we’ve been blessed to be treated to over many of the finals over the past 5-10 years and see no reason to moan for moaning’s sake. 

Said the St Helens fan 

4 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Just because I might enjoy watching a new club in the GF doesn't mean that I won't enjoy the St Helens/Leeds final. It should be a good game

So you're happy to see the ' plebs ' get a day out as long as they don't actually win ? , Sounds about right 

5 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Says the Leigh fan, who play in the Championship play-offs every year. You as abusive about them being in them as much as two teams playing against each other in a final for the first time in eleven years?

We didn't last year , or in 2020 , or in 2018 , or in 2017 , so that's once in the last five seasons ? 

😉

Edited by GUBRATS

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

We didn't last year , or in 2020 , or in 2018 , or in 2017 , so that's once in the last five seasons ? 

😉

If one final in eleven years has sent you into such an abusive tirade, one in five must mean it’s best to stay well out of your way. 

• Haha 1

No, but I want to. Sadly I'll be on a flight to Cyprus for 10 days in the sun spent in a 5*, adult only, all inclusive hotel with spa. 

Would like to see Leeds win it, if for no other reason than to pay homage to Rob Burrow. He has never given up the fight and, to a lesser degree, they have regained their spirit and got back in the fight.

4 hours ago, Jughead said:

So, Leeds winning 4 of 5 = fine. Saints win 4 of 4 = games gone. 

actually, leeds won in 2007., 2008, 2009, 2011, and 2012 which i make 5 out of 6 which is an even more impressive 5 out of 6. although of course the last two they won from 5th which is even more impressive given there long run to the challenge cup finals in 2011 and 2012

Edited by paul hicks

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Part of being a successful business in sporting terms is increasing your customer base by winning trophy's 

indeed, so most of the clubs are not successful in that case so if you need to win a trophy to be successful then you're saying you can't be successful as a business.

seems to me hull kr have increased their business of late is that not success.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

For Salford hopefully an increase in interest in Salford , in the wider sport a different narrative ( plenty on here like that word 😉 ) in the Media , the underdog Salford winning the RL title for the first time in ? , 

And how would that benefit the sport, do you genuinely think there would be a sudden influx of fans because Salford won the GF? It would barely even be noticed by the media, and I doubt it would have ay impact on a non RL fan either. 

I would love to see different teams play the final every season, 10 teams with a genuine chance of winning the trophies each season, but I just dont see much impact on the sport if someone other than Saints/Wigan/Leeds win the Gf.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dkw said:

And how would that benefit the sport, do you genuinely think there would be a sudden influx of fans because Salford won the GF? It would barely even be noticed by the media, and I doubt it would have ay impact on a non RL fan either. 

I would love to see different teams play the final every season, 10 teams with a genuine chance of winning the trophies each season, but I just dont see much impact on the sport if someone other than Saints/Wigan/Leeds win the Gf.

Take football out of the equation because we all know about football (whether we follow it or not) because it is reported on and talked about absolutely every where.

Who actually knows how many different teams have won the RU title? The cricket one? Care to guess how many netball champions there have been?

I could probably sit and work it out but I seriously doubt anyone is going to really care.

Same with the casual viewer, and potential casual viewer, of RL.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

The difference is Leicester WON , so you're happy to see the ' plebs ' get a day out as long as they don't actually win ? , Sounds about right 

So you're happy to see the ' plebs ' get a day out as long as they don't actually win ? , Sounds about right 

You are really not coming across great in this thread.  You have taken positive comments and tried to turn them into some bizarre and completely unconnected negative.

Edited by Dunbar

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Take football out of the equation because we all know about football (whether we follow it or not) because it is reported on and talked about absolutely every where.

Who actually knows how many different teams have won the RU title? The cricket one? Care to guess how many netball champions there have been?

I could probably sit and work it out but I seriously doubt anyone is going to really care.

This does rather pose an interesting question about the validity of making decisions to try and spread out the trophies. Things like salary caps,  drafts etc. Why not just let the three or four richest clubs crack on and dominate? 

I suppose there needs to be an element of competition that creates uncertainty -  even though it will be Saints or Leeds winning again this year,  Leeds are a surprise in the Final,  and Saints really had it tough with a battle going to the Wire versus Salford. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This does rather pose an interesting question about the validity of making decisions to try and spread out the trophies. Things like salary caps,  drafts etc. Why not just let the three or four richest clubs crack on and dominate? 

I suppose there needs to be an element of competition that creates uncertainty -  even though it will be Saints or Leeds winning again this year,  Leeds are a surprise in the Final,  and Saints really had it tough with a battle going to the Wire versus Salford. 

We're all getting very excited about a World Cup.

One country has won eight out of the last nine World Cups.

All I'm really saying is that it's necessarily that that makes something compelling or a reason why people might develop an interest in a sport or a club.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

What are you talking about?!!! The question from the OP was does anyone from outside of St Helens or Leeds have any interest in the GF. I'm not a fan of either but still am interested to watch which is what I said. 

I'm interested whoever plays as I'm an RL fan and the GF is usually a good game and event.

Who are the plebs and when did I say I don't want them to win? 

Edited by JM2010
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

We're all getting very excited about a World Cup.

One country has won eight out of the last nine World Cups.

All I'm really saying is that it's necessarily that that makes something compelling or a reason why people might develop an interest in a sport or a club.

To be clear,  I agree with you. I think the value of new winners is overstated. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Stop pretending you're ' holier than thou ' then , you're just like the rest of us , happy for various scenario's as long as your team are part of it 

So now I'm holier than thou for saying I support my team but don't care who is there if my team aren't there?

4 hours ago, Jughead said:

If one final in eleven years has sent you into such an abusive tirade, one in five must mean it’s best to stay well out of your way. 

You were wrong in your assesment , oops never mind I'll try to cover my Harris , I'll stick you on ignore 

3 hours ago, paul hicks said:

indeed, so most of the clubs are not successful in that case so if you need to win a trophy to be successful then you're saying you can't be successful as a business.

seems to me hull kr have increased their business of late is that not success.

No you don't ' need to ' but it helps , do you agree with that assumption ?

2 hours ago, dkw said:

That is your opinion , which is fine , I disagree , not a problem 

2 hours ago, dkw said:

Why did you only quote part of my post ? 

Are you seriously so bitter that you can no longer ' hope ' ? 

3 hours ago, paul hicks said:

actually, leeds won in 2007., 2008, 2009, 2011, and 2012 which i make 5 out of 6 which is an even more impressive 5 out of 6. although of course the last two they won from 5th which is even more impressive given there long run to the challenge cup finals in 2011 and 2012

Which is also even more depressing 

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

But it gives us a narrative ( that word again ) , it's up to us as a sport to make use of it

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

You are really not coming across great in this thread.  You have taken positive comments and tried to turn them into some bizarre and completely unconnected negative.

Not a problem , I post what I ' feel ' , if other posters including yourself don't really ' get ' what I'm saying , no problem 

• Like 1