Outside Leeds & St Helens Is Anyone Interested in Another Sts V Rhinos Grand Final

OMEGA

17 hours ago, Jughead said:

Says the Leigh fan, who play in the Championship play-offs every year. You as abusive about them being in them as much as two teams playing against each other in a final for the first time in eleven years?

I said I wouldn't reply , but it has just occured to me , the last Championship play off win for Leigh discounting the middle 8 s was beating Haven in the 2004 GF 

My mistake , I forgot the 2014 GF win against Fev at Headingley 

Edited by GUBRATS

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

I said I wouldn't reply , but it has just occured to me , the last Championship play off win for Leigh discounting the middle 8 s was beating Haven in the 2004 GF 

Thanks for replying to my other user name 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019 and 2022 in the play-offs for Leigh Locomotive. What were you saying about the same teams in the same positions again? Or does it only count if it’s Super League and not the team you support?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jughead said:

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019 and 2022 in the play-offs for Leigh Locomotive. What were you saying about the same teams in the same positions again? Or does it only count if it’s Super League and not the team you support?

All through this I've referred to teams winning , not competing in a play off , you've included the middle 8 s in this , in the last twenty years off the top of my head , Leigh,Fev,Sheffield,Fax,HKR,CAS,Salford,Toulouse,Toronto, Barrow and London have won the NL1/championship GF or the MPG , in that time we've had 3 SL GF winners 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

All through this I've referred to teams winning , not competing in a play off , you've included the middle 8 s in this , in the last twenty years off the top of my head , Leigh,Fev,Sheffield,Fax,HKR,CAS,Salford,Toulouse,Toronto, Barrow and London have won the NL1/championship GF or the MPG , in that time we've had 3 SL GF winners 

You haven’t. You moaned about Saints v Leeds finals. I’m not sure how much sport you’ve watched but if the final is between St Helens and Leeds Rhinos, one team has to lose. Unfortunately, it’s been Saints every time. So back to the question, is it different because it’s Leigh and competing in the play-offs almost every single year? 

1 minute ago, Jughead said:

You haven’t. You moaned about Saints v Leeds finals. I’m not sure how much sport you’ve watched but if the final is between St Helens and Leeds Rhinos, one team has to lose. Unfortunately, it’s been Saints every time. So back to the question, is it different because it’s Leigh and competing in the play-offs almost every single year? 

Yes a Saints v Leeds final BECAUSE they are 2 of the only 3 clubs currently in SL who have won it before , and in the last 2 decades 

As I've just posted in that time we've had almost a dozen winners of the second tier GF/MPG 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Yes a Saints v Leeds final BECAUSE they are 2 of the only 3 clubs currently in SL who have won it before , and in the last 2 decades 

As I've just posted in that time we've had almost a dozen winners of the second tier GF/MPG 

Well, yeah, teams who win the second tier, for the most part of history of the summer game, cannot retain the title. 

Clutching at straws. 

Well, yeah, teams who win the second tier, for the most part of history of the summer game, cannot retain the title. 

Clutching at straws. 

6 of those teams are currently still in the Championship 

5 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

As an outsider, watching less SL these days than I once had, but as a neutral all the same, another title for Leeds or St Helens is not anything I get excited by.

It certainly isn’t the matchup that has me a certainty to stay up to watch live.

No live RL for you until next year if Parra get beat at the weekend, then. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Jughead said:

No live RL for you until next year if Parra get beat at the weekend, then. 

Please, you are comparing a Penrith/Souths v Cowboys GF where any of those three teams could win just their second title in decades or in fact history history, to a final matchup of St Helens v Leeds, the two clubs that have won 12 of the last 16 titles. That’s 75% in case you need the help.

What a nonsense comparison to make.

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Please, you are comparing a Penrith/Souths v Cowboys GF where any of those three teams could win just their second title in decades or in fact history history, to a final matchup of St Helens v Leeds, the two clubs that have won 12 of the last 16 titles.

What a nonsense comparison to make.

But three of the four have won the showpiece in the last seven finals. Penrith have been in the last two finals, it was Penrith v Souths last year, the Cowboys were in 2015 and 2017. Where’s the feet stamping and slagging the game off because the same teams make the finals here?

It’s nonsense to write off the Super League Grand Final. St Helens could create history within Super League, Leeds the only other side to achieve such a feat, are the ones who could see their “three-peat” achievement topped. Saints lost four Grand Finals to Leeds, can they actually get over the line against an old foe? Kristian Woolf could leave the club on Saturday with a hat trick of wins, whilst he’s up against Rohan Smith who cut his teeth in the Queensland Cup, too. Konrad Hurrell is going up against his former club, as is James Bentley. Can Saints win it without Morgan Knowles and Alex Walmsley, focal points of their attack? Can Leeds win it without Aidan Sezer and Morgan Gannon, focal points of their attack? That’s without really scratching the surface and finding out more about the real lives of the blokes lining up on Saturday. 

It’s been said elsewhere, I’m not sure what people are gaining from slagging this game off. I’m not sure what sort of competition people want when Leeds Rhinos go and knock off both Catalans and Wigan to get to the final and I don’t get if people actually like Rugby League or negativity and division is so deeply ingrained into them that this is normal. 

But three of the four have won the showpiece in the last seven finals. Penrith have been in the last two finals, it was Penrith v Souths last year, the Cowboys were in 2015 and 2017. Where’s the feet stamping and slagging the game off because the same teams make the finals here?

It’s nonsense to write off the Super League Grand Final. St Helens could create history within Super League, Leeds the only other side to achieve such a feat, are the ones who could see their “three-peat” achievement topped. Saints lost four Grand Finals to Leeds, can they actually get over the line against an old foe? Kristian Woolf could leave the club on Saturday with a hat trick of wins, whilst he’s up against Rohan Smith who cut his teeth in the Queensland Cup, too. Konrad Hurrell is going up against his former club, as is James Bentley. Can Saints win it without Morgan Knowles and Alex Walmsley, focal points of their attack? Can Leeds win it without Aidan Sezer and Morgan Gannon, focal points of their attack? That’s without really scratching the surface and finding out more about the real lives of the blokes lining up on Saturday. 

It’s been said elsewhere, I’m not sure what people are gaining from slagging this game off. I’m not sure what sort of competition people want when Leeds Rhinos go and knock off both Catalans and Wigan to get to the final and I don’t get if people actually like Rugby League or negativity and division is so deeply ingrained into them that this is normal. 

I don’t dispute there are plenty of stories to tell and I’m not slagging the game off.

I’m just giving my point of view as a neutral, as requested by the OP, that I am far less excited about the prospect of staying up very late, to watch these two perennial Champions battle it out against each other live, instead of the chance to see a new team win.

That’s when you threw in a ridiculous comparison. 

I will watch the game, more likely on delay, which I hope to enjoy for the game itself.

1 minute ago, Sports Prophet said:

I don’t dispute there are plenty of stories to tell and I’m not slagging the game off.

I’m just giving my point of view as a neutral, as requested by the OP, that I am far less excited about the prospect of staying up very late, to watch these two perennial Champions battle it out against each other live, instead of the chance to see a new team win.

That’s when you threw in a ridiculous comparison. 

I will watch the game, more likely on delay, which I hope to enjoy for the game itself.

The old “I’ll moan but I’ll watch it”. You’re definitely a Rugby League fan. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

how new.?.  from what I can see of this season's super league teams only 3 have never been rugby league champions. 

Toulouse

Catalan

Castleford.

SL , it's a whole new game , didn't you know ?

4 hours ago, Jughead said:

The old “I’ll moan but I’ll watch it”. You’re definitely a Rugby League fan. 

Nothing screams Rugby League more than that oversized chip you appear to be carrying.

Not every comment is a personal attack on you. I hope we both enjoy the game on the weekend 🤞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/09/2022 at 17:19, GUBRATS said:

6 of those teams are currently still in the Championship 

Also there was no promotion for a number of years. I remember Sheffield won it twice in a row as they beat Batley in their second final.

However they were the only consecutive winners that period, I think. 

Edited by Niels

8 minutes ago, JohnM said:

DON'T SHOUT😀😀

By "we" you mean "you". The rest of us want the best team to win, even if that is Leeds or St Helens.

Actually,  I suspect that may be the minority view John. 

Most people are not interested in the winners being the best,  they will have their own preference.  Mine is to support underdogs,  so I'll be hoping Leeds win a classic.

Saints are the best team this year,  but I'm OK for them to lose. 

• Like 2