Channel 4 or Sky?

Jughead

4. I don't hate the Sky crew, but I watch them so much it's nice to have a change, and the C4 team have been good.

We shouldn't take that for granted - it could have been amateurish or embarrassingly ignorant of the new sport they were covering, but it's been a pretty seemless, professional job. Well done 4, hope we get more games in future. 

• Like 2

I get a sense that the honeymoon period with Channel 4 is over with people criticising the commentary today.

Give it long enough and we will find fault in everything. 

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

20 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I get a sense that the honeymoon period with Channel 4 is over with people criticising the commentary today.

Surprised it took this long. I was expecting it by the end of the first match, but I suppose back then people were too focussed on using C4 to bash Sky.

The game's riddled with joyless pinch-lips who are desperate to take offence at anything or, lacking that, something they've imagined because they need something to hate.

C4 have shown some brilliant matches this season, so I'm sure the feedback and viewing figures will be going down well with the decision makers at the channel.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 3

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I watched on 4 as I prefer the lack of a million co-commentators on mic all falling over themselves to make the same point.

Sometimes less is more.

Sky will probably welcome a rival for mic talent and also to give their production fresh ideas.

As pundits, Kyle Amor, Danica Priim, Kevin Brown and others have done well on C4, OurLeague and The Sportsman.

If Sky are looking for replacement talent, it's right there for them to check out.

• Like 4

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I watched on 4 as I prefer the lack of a million co-commentators on mic all falling over themselves to make the same point.

Sometimes less is more.

Sky will probably welcome a rival for mic talent and also to give their production fresh ideas.

Absolutely. The presentation on C4 just seems a lot more mature and less juvenile than Sky.

Mark Wilson is an excellant main commentator and Kyle Amor chips in when needed at the right times. It just works really well. Then the pundits on the whole are excellent with a real inciteful analysis and clear respect for each others opinions. Priim has been a real revelation and I think she is a real star. The likes of Tomkins are also really good too.

• Like 3

Just a regular gentle reminder - unless you are part of the B.A.R.B. monitoring scheme, watching it on a broadcast TV channel will not be registered as a viewing figure.

If, however, you have a Smart TV, a Fire TV Stick, a Roku or a similar device (even your computer's/phone's  browser), every individual device's streaming of the match on the C4 website/app will be automatically registered. Good for the sport's profile and helpful in any contract renewals/upgrades.

• Like 3

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I did call at the start of the year that it would happen as familiarity starts to highlight shortfalls and people get less tolerant of issues.  I thought C4 were a bit misguided having Amor in today,  I think they should maybe have more variety anyway,  and I'm not a fan of players linked to clubs being used as pundits. I don't think it worked today. 

But overall,  C4 is a breath of fresh air,  and anything that means I don't need to listen to Baz and Tez is good by me! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I did call at the start of the year that it would happen as familiarity starts to highlight shortfalls and people get less tolerant of issues.  I thought C4 were a bit misguided having Amor in today,  I think they should maybe have more variety anyway,  and I'm not a fan of players linked to clubs being used as pundits. I don't think it worked today. 

But overall,  C4 is a breath of fresh air,  and anything that means I don't need to listen to Baz and Tez is good by me! 

I don't think its as bad with a pundit in the studio, as long as there is some balance, but I agree its probably still better not to do so. One thing for certain though is that they should but no where near the commentary box. It just doesn't work for 80 minutes and they are commentating on events in the heat of the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

We watched on 4

'We'

Show off.

• Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

There's so much positivity in the C4 coverage, it's something Premier have got as well.  Sky has been stale for a while now, they need a bit of a reboot which may be on the cards if everyone opted for C4 when they've gone head to head. 

• Like 2

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.