Channel 4 or Sky?

Jughead

I only half-watched the last minute wrap up,  did they advertise coverage of the Grand Final,  it was mentioned somewhere last week that they had highlights as well as BBC?

And this isn't a C4 or Sky thing,  but the graphics on the pitch really are terrible,  poorly designed and overly intrusive. I also remember when we used to use real paint we would actually advertise the grand final,  whereas now we just advertise a bookie. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I only half-watched the last minute wrap up,  did they advertise coverage of the Grand Final,  it was mentioned somewhere last week that they had highlights as well as BBC?

And this isn't a C4 or Sky thing,  but the graphics on the pitch really are terrible,  poorly designed and overly intrusive. I also remember when we used to use real paint we would actually advertise the grand final,  whereas now we just advertise a bookie. 

It's crazy when you think of it. A chance for a free 80 mins of live advertising on national TV wasted.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I was about to ask if the superimposed sponsor is on both C4 and Sky? It's been a long time since I saw a game on Sky.

7 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

I was about to ask if the superimposed sponsor is on both C4 and Sky? It's been a long time since I saw a game on Sky.

I can't remember when C4 started doing it, might have been from the start. But yes now Sky have caught on. I don't mind it especially TBH. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

3 hours ago, Damien said:

Channel 4. Its has been superior all season with better commentators and better analysts. Amor did get a touch of the Jon Wilkins today though which was a pity as he is normally good.

Indeed, and i was disappointed with that. He started off well balanced, but then his bias creeped in. He's better than that.

I hope he runs the video of the game and corrects his bias next time he comments on a Saints game

42 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It looks really weird/poor quality. Not sure why though?

52 minutes ago, Dave T said:

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I like it.  I have recently started watching reruns of the early Red Dwarf episodes and I find the quality of the effects comforting and familiar. 

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I just think not enough testing and care to be honest.  It looks great in Aussie sports in general,  but they don't try and cover the whole pitch,  they try and make it look part of the pitch and have them proportionate sizes. 

I really don't understand why it isn't something that has been optimised and used for every televised game for sponsors. 

Channel 4 for me. Didn't check Sky once.

Wilson conveys much more excitement than likably dull Bill Arthur. Plus, I do like Sam Tomkins a lot.

Such a pity that the GF isn't on C4, as that would have been awesome exposure for the sport. I was thinking that it must strike outsiders/casuals as strange that 4 are showing a semi and then are frozen out of carrying the GF. I think it would benefit the game quite a bit if C4 were allowed to simulcast the GF in future.

2 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Channel 4 for me. Didn't check Sky once.

Wilson conveys much more excitement than likably dull Bill Arthur. Plus, I do like Sam Tomkins a lot.

Such a pity that the GF isn't on C4, as that would have been awesome exposure for the sport. I was thinking that it must strike outsiders/casuals as strange that 4 are showing a semi and then are frozen out of carrying the GF. I think it would benefit the game quite a bit if C4 were allowed to simulcast the GF in future.

I thought Tomkins was excellent today.  I find he gives an honest view,  is happy to be controversial of needed,  but he stays pretty positive and a good ambassador for the game.  I appreciate that isn't necessarily his role,  but I find him far more listenable than anyone of Baz,  Tez,  JJB,  Clarkey etc on Sky. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I thought Tomkins was excellent today.  I find he gives an honest view,  is happy to be controversial of needed,  but he stays pretty positive and a good ambassador for the game.  I appreciate that isn't necessarily his role,  but I find him far more listenable than anyone of Baz,  Tez,  JJB,  Clarkey etc on Sky. 

I would be happy to see Tomkins and Kevin Brown as the expert guests and Jon Wells in his analytical role.  I think that would be a good combination. 

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

40 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Tez and Baz just make noises really at this stage. Both nice guys but I just don't find they add much to the experience. I did like Tez with his son last night. That was a nice moment, although I think Sky came up with the MOTM to have such a post-match piece. Young Jarrod played very well, but I can't see how any RL fan wouldn't have given MOTM to Bentley last night.

I really like Clarke. He's by far my favourite of the Sky group. JJB is fun in little bursts.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Interesting, so did no one watch it on Sky? I think the responses so far speak volumes.

I didn’t want it to be an excuse to knock Sky for the sake of knocking Sky. I think this is the first time both have had the same game and I was curious how people would vote and I’m curious how the numbers add up, when released. 

I have to say, I did think 4 might win this battle, quite possibly whilst the novelty value is still fresh with them. 

As others have said, the onfield graphics were particularly poor today. I can’t say I’ve noticed them before but admittedly, I haven’t watched a live game on 4 for some time. 

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

I didn’t want it to be an excuse to knock Sky for the sake of knocking Sky. I think this is the first time both have had the same game and I was curious how people would vote and I’m curious how the numbers add up, when released. 

Your right it is the first time they have both had the same game..............  the first time since last week!

For some reason I didn’t realise it was on C4 yesterday, which is gutting.

I really like Mark Wilson’s commentary. Bill Arthur constantly identifying the wrong players and making name mistakes was funny at first but are taking their toll now. Just unprofessional. 

Edited by Curly perm

11 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Yes far better when Tetleys sponsored SL, drink is far better than gambling. 

I'll drink to that. 🥂

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son