Channel 4 or Sky?

Jughead

15 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I get a sense that the honeymoon period with Channel 4 is over with people criticising the commentary today.

Give it long enough and we will find fault in everything. 

I think that last sentence could become a classic quote one day.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

C4.

Not for any particular reason as for some time now  I have turned the sound down and listened to my book on Audible ( Martin Chuzzlewitt at the moment).

I know enough of about the game to not need to listen to someone stating the obvious

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

8 minutes ago, Bearman said:

C4.

Not for any particular reason as for some time now  I have turned the sound down and listened to my book on Audible ( Martin Chuzzlewitt at the moment).

I know enough of about the game to not need to listen to someone stating the obvious

This is where all broadcasters should ask themselves, “what am I adding that the viewer can not already see for themselves.”

Without pining for the good old days too much, there seemed like a less is more approach where gravitas and inflective of voice were the order of the day.

Now for some reason, Sky think listening to a constant chatter of co-commentary enhances the experience!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

This is where all broadcasters should ask themselves, “what am I adding that the viewer can not already see for themselves.”

Without pining for the good old days too much, there seemed like a less is more approach where gravitas and inflective of voice were the order of the day.

Now for some reason, Sky think listening to a constant chatter of co-commentary enhances the experience!

There is value in not talking. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

SKy have been dumbing down the  coverage so they lose viewers and that will justify a drop in the next round of funding.

Not at all. Sky will see that they will, over two weeks of simulcast games now, be able to compare directly themselves with Ch4. 

If the drop off (if any) for Sky is significant from their regular SL viewing figures, and yet Ch4 is strong, it suggests that Sky RL need to up their game. This is good and is the natural effect of competition in a market.

If fans, given the choice, are choosing Ch4 over Sky Sports for coverage (specifically fans that are regular Sky Sports viewers), that should trigger Sky revamping their coverage.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Not at all. Sky will see that they will, over two weeks of simulcast games now, be able to compare directly themselves with Ch4. 

If the drop off (if any) for Sky is significant from their regular SL viewing figures, and yet Ch4 is strong, it suggests that Sky RL need to up their game. This is good and is the natural effect of competition in a market.

If fans, given the choice, are choosing Ch4 over Sky Sports for coverage (specifically fans that are regular Sky Sports viewers), that should trigger Sky revamping their coverage.

Yes, agree with this.

Mark Wilson is by far the best commentator, he actually follows the flow of the game without being sidetracked but when he commentated for Sky he was brought down to their level by having 2 or more co,s trying to justify their wages with irrelevant stats or in-house jokes. I am not a Sky hater just think their model is broken. 

• Like 2

I'd prefer we go back to having just the second half of one game live once a week on Grandstand.

• Haha 9

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

As a business model that makes zero sense.

And I think you are being very generous there.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, sentoffagain2 said:

For the next SKY contract do you think we will get more, the same, or less for same coverage.Simple question  so i expect a simple reply.

It's an irrelevant question. As you want an answer though I suspect the same.

Simple question for you then. Do you not realise the ridiculousness of saying Sky purposely lose viewers, and so revenue from subscribers and advertisers, to then pay less? What is in that for Sky?

It is in Sky's interest to grow subscriptions numbers and to get better viewing figures to sell to advertisers. If Sky wanted to pay less they could easily do so anyway without the need for devaluing its own product. 

3 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

For the next SKY contract do you think we will get more, the same, or less for same coverage.Simple question  so i expect a simple reply.

On what grounds do you assume that Sky will bother after this contract?  Don't forget that they gave the game two years to prove its value.  Have the ratings on Sky improved this year?  Will the World Cup demonstrate additional value in their eyes?  If the answer to those questions is No they could well drop the game entirely.

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I'd prefer we go back to having just the second half of one game live once a week on Grandstand.

Especially the Boxing Day morning one.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

57 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

On what grounds do you assume that Sky will bother after this contract?  Don't forget that they gave the game two years to prove its value.  Have the ratings on Sky improved this year?  Will the World Cup demonstrate additional value in their eyes?  If the answer to those questions is No they could well drop the game entirely.

Is this your master plan. At that point will your billionaire mates step in to save the game. 

10 hours ago, RayCee said:

I think that last sentence could become a classic quote one day.

It will.

Then someone will immediately claim it's not as good as an older quote that isn't better by any sane metric.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson