Jump to content

RLWC2021 - not the rugby


Recommended Posts

I thought it would be interesting to have a thread with all of the things going on around the World Cup that are not the rugby itself (or ticket sales!). A World Cup should bring lots of fanfare around it and people to our shores who we might not necessarily get the chance to meet or see, and it is also a chance to celebrate our history and heritage. I hope there are things like trophy tours and squads visiting schools and I would like to hear about them.

I'll get the ball rolling with something I saw advertised as I came off the M62 last week: Benji Marshall doing talks in Warrington, Huddersfield, Whitehaven and Hull from 13-16 October.

https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/whats-on/huddersfield/clarion-cedar-court-huddersfield-hotel/benji-marshall-in-huddersfield/e-eppgqy

  • Like 4

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


38 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I thought it would be interesting to have a thread with all of the things going on around the World Cup that are not the rugby itself (or ticket sales!). A World Cup should bring lots of fanfare around it and people to our shores who we might not necessarily get the chance to meet or see, and it is also a chance to celebrate our history and heritage. I hope there are things like trophy tours and squads visiting schools and I would like to hear about them.

I'll get the ball rolling with something I saw advertised as I came off the M62 last week: Benji Marshall doing talks in Warrington, Huddersfield, Whitehaven and Hull from 13-16 October.

https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/whats-on/huddersfield/clarion-cedar-court-huddersfield-hotel/benji-marshall-in-huddersfield/e-eppgqy

For the Women's Euro's and the 4 games that were played at the LSV in Leigh, there was advertising and buntings strung across the main streets well in advance of the tournament, and on game day the town centre was closed off to traffic, there was stalls and tents erected on the town hall square to cater for and promote the games for the fans, well we have the opportunity just a few short weeks later for the RFL/WC Organisating body to celebrate our sport in the same manner with the 3 RLWC games at the LSV, so what do you think will happen, I will have a guess at ZILCH ALL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

For the Women's Euro's and the 4 games that were played at the LSV in Leigh, there was advertising and buntings strung across the main streets well in advance of the tournament, and on game day the town centre was closed off to traffic, there was stalls and tents erected on the town hall square to cater for and promote the games for the fans, well we have the opportunity just a few short weeks later for the RFL/WC Organisating body to celebrate our sport in the same manner with the 3 RLWC games at the LSV, so what do you think will happen, I will have a guess at ZILCH ALL.

In hand with the council. Think the roundabout stuff on the bypass was being replaced this weekend. I noticed at the Bolton game yesterday that the roadside banners are already up there. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

In hand with the council. Think the roundabout stuff on the bypass was being replaced this weekend. I noticed at the Bolton game yesterday that the roadside banners are already up there. 

Thanks Matt, but we are a few short weeks away and what you have said is not advertising as such if you don't go down the bypass you won't know, all we seem to do in RL is preach to the already converted, apart from the notices inside the ground for corporate sales for the WC games I have not seen anything anywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

For the Women's Euro's and the 4 games that were played at the LSV in Leigh, there was advertising and buntings strung across the main streets well in advance of the tournament, and on game day the town centre was closed off to traffic, there was stalls and tents erected on the town hall square to cater for and promote the games for the fans, well we have the opportunity just a few short weeks later for the RFL/WC Organisating body to celebrate our sport in the same manner with the 3 RLWC games at the LSV, so what do you think will happen, I will have a guess at ZILCH ALL.

I think you have a valid point and the Women's Euro is a very good comparison, but I was hoping this thread could be about things that are happening rather than things we think should be.

  • Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pretty sure there is a fan zone on Newcastle quayside during the opening weekend of the world cup

Not strictly World Cup but MJK Sports Events are doing an audience with Gordon Tallis with special guest Terry O'Connor, refereed by Barry McDermott (Flyer says Brian McDermott) - 4th November Keighly, 11th Whitehaven, 18th Warrington

After the World Cup Mal Meninga is being interviewed by Emma Jones in Whitehaven on 26th Nov, I think there are other shows but not sure where or when they are

  • Like 4

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

For the Women's Euro's and the 4 games that were played at the LSV in Leigh, there was advertising and buntings strung across the main streets well in advance of the tournament, and on game day the town centre was closed off to traffic, there was stalls and tents erected on the town hall square to cater for and promote the games for the fans, well we have the opportunity just a few short weeks later for the RFL/WC Organisating body to celebrate our sport in the same manner with the 3 RLWC games at the LSV, so what do you think will happen, I will have a guess at ZILCH ALL.

Were there buses from the train station to the ground?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Gomersall said:

The WC trophies have been touring around for a while now. 

The trophies are at the Halifax Piece Hall on the afternoon of Friday 7th October.

  • Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Were there buses from the train station to the ground?

There must have been buses directly from the Netherlands seeing as 2,500 of them managed to get to Leigh for an 8pm kick off on a Wednesday night

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, it is a load of Rugby League matches, but they aren't RLWC fixtures - a tournament in Newcastle next month for schools (primary and secondary), junior rugby league clubs, touch rugby, masters, PDRL, LDRL etc.

Get involved here: https://www.rlwc2021.com/squads-on-the-tyne 

Edited by Futtocks

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure where this was best being put. I know overall sales came up a while back - if what has been said here is true, at this stage, the tournament is in a bad place from an uptake/interest point of view. 

Edit: Just for clarity, 1/3 million (or 333k) is the total combined sales of men's, women's and wheelchair. Absolutely miles off 750k! 

 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Not sure where this was best being put. I know overall sales came up a while back - if what is been said hear is true, at this stage, the tournament is in a bad place from an uptake/interest point of view. 

 

RLWC has nearly double the number of matches of the Women's Euros.

There was a lot of last minute buying in that tournament though, especially once it became clear how good the atmosphere in the grounds was and how well England were doing.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

RLWC has nearly double the number of matches of the Women's Euros.

There was a lot of last minute buying in that tournament though, especially once it became clear how good the atmosphere in the grounds was and how well England were doing.

I mean that kind of makes it worse, right? We're putting a lot of faith in last minute buying if we think it'll get anywhere near 750k. Feels like 500k is a push to be honest. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I mean that kind of makes it worse, right? 

Yes, it's not great.

Although the RLWC is distorted by double headers and the like - it makes a proper like for like not really suitable (either for positive or negative).

We are relying a lot on people seeing the games on TV and liking the look and sound of what's going on *and* England providing a boost by going very deep in the men's tournament.

  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...