RLWC2021 - not the rugby

2 hours ago, Will Holt said:

35k sold so far for the St James Park opener, hopefully we can get that sold out ASAP and build momentum off that game

That's not bad if its actually true and not one of the RFL-style works of fiction. 

Now the GF is out of the way I'd hope we see an uplift. 

I don't think we are in a horrendous place, but there is a lot of work to do. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dave T said:

Good stuff at Warrington. 

A rugby league birds of paradise display is a first for me. Absolutely terrific stuff and was great to see posters in the town centre when I was there over the weekend.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I’d call 35,000 about par really. Not blown away but certainly not poor by any stretch. At worst you’d expect that to get a few thousand above 40k and with a good push (I won’t hold my breath) we might get up towards the full house. I’d love to think we’ll start hearing from some of the England camp now. I’m starting to think Waney has emigrated or been sent down given the lack of coverage.

4 minutes ago, WN83 said:

I’d call 35,000 about par really. Not blown away but certainly not poor by any stretch. At worst you’d expect that to get a few thousand above 40k and with a good push (I won’t hold my breath) we might get up towards the full house. I’d love to think we’ll start hearing from some of the England camp now. I’m starting to think Waney has emigrated or been sent down given the lack of coverage.

This number of pre-sales is far in excess of any Test match like this, probably in the history of the sport. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This number of pre-sales is far in excess of any Test match like this, probably in the history of the sport. 

True enough. I’m hoping the quality of the Samoa team will make plenty of diehard fans sit up and realise what a good game it should be. Getting the locals in the North East interested in attending should make the biggest difference. Push it there as a proper event that you need to be at and shifting tickets shouldn’t be an issue. 

• Like 3

The lack of noise from the England camp is pretty unbelievable really. Surely, like most other nations, they could have had a formal 'training squad' with players not involved in semi finals announced and invited to participate, with new players joining as teams were knocked out. That's just a small and obvious way to drip feed stories to the media to build interest. I'm sure behind the scenes players have been getting tapped to keep training, so why not make it official? It's bizarre to ignore that very obvious media opportunity.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dave T said:

Sorry for being a Warrington bore.... 

Screenshot_20220927_191412_com.facebook.katana_edit_117212126124302_copy_875x495.jpg.f94aedc79f7870cdcde3920607c2e36d.jpg

I know I've been critical of the density and number of games being put on in Warrington, St Helens and parts of Greater Manchester, but there is real value in having local authorities who do really get behind their hosting of the WC like this. The World Cup could be anonymous in larger cities with less effort put in, hopefully every "smaller" town that is hosting games takes Warrington’s lead in this. You shouldn't be able to miss it!

If nothing else, it should also demonstrate to other councils like Wakefield and Bradford what they are missing out on by not having the facilities to host in a tournament like this.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

• Like 8

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

On 27/09/2022 at 19:16, Dave T said:

Sorry for being a Warrington bore.... 

Screenshot_20220927_191412_com.facebook.katana_edit_117212126124302_copy_875x495.jpg.f94aedc79f7870cdcde3920607c2e36d.jpg

Someone will probably be on here in eight years time to deny that this ever happened.

• Haha 1

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

Is the Ruby League World Cup written on the Warrington flyer due to the Kaiser Chiefs playing before the opening game?

• Haha 2

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

25 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Well done Wire council. 

I was only talking about the typo. But tend to think that the council are responsible for 95% of the positive stuff too.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Wire fans!

(I'd admire the council even more if they proofread their images before posting them...)

Edited by Stuff Smith
Irony.

On the subject of the opening match if as we are being told only 32000 tickets have been sold so far for the opener this is pathetic.

RLWC have had an extra year to promote the tournament and the promotion to the general public has been poor, i would say in London about 1 in 1000 are aware its on little alone a semi final at Arsenal only the BBC over the next week will make people aware (And then certainly not a young audience just old farts like me) 

Taking the cups round the RL areas is just like the vicar trying to covert the choir to christianity talk about preaching to the converted.

God help us if any of these muppets take over from Ralph Rimmer we need fresh blood with new ideas.

1 minute ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

On the subject of the opening match if as we are being told only 32000 tickets have been sold so far for the opener this is pathetic.

RLWC have had an extra year to promote the tournament and the promotion to the general public has been poor, i would say in London about 1 in 1000 are aware its on little alone a semi final at Arsenal only the BBC over the next week will make people aware (And then certainly not a young audience just old farts like me) 

Taking the cups round the RL areas is just like the vicar trying to covert the choir to christianity talk about preaching to the converted.

God help us if any of these muppets take over from Ralph Rimmer we need fresh blood with new ideas.

I think it will be interesting to know what the number is now, I'll be disappointed if its not 40k now. 

But whilst we may be disappointed with whatever we end up with, we should celebrate the fact that this will be a huge crowd for an England v Samoa. 

But if ticket sales are sluggish there is an obvious reason. Prices. I think we are going to end up with a lot of tickets left for games that we just can't shift, because people won't pay £40 to stand up at Warrington to wtch Lebanon for example.

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think it will be interesting to know what the number is now, I'll be disappointed if its not 40k now. 

But whilst we may be disappointed with whatever we end up with, we should celebrate the fact that this will be a huge crowd for an England v Samoa. 

But if ticket sales are sluggish there is an obvious reason. Prices. I think we are going to end up with a lot of tickets left for games that we just can't shift, because people won't pay £40 to stand up at Warrington to wtch Lebanon for example.

Totally agree the major problem is it seems to me that the focus is on RL fans ONLY, the choice of venues in some cases has been very poor and although i get the northern powerhouse thing we would have been far better off with at least 2 matches in London + other areas like Bristol Brighton Plymouth etc.

P

4 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

You may be right.  However (and I barely watch anything live on ITV so it has probably been shown more than the once) there was a well produced advert for the World Cup in general and the Emirates semi final in particular, on prime time ITV - the first ad break in 'the Suspect' - a couple of weeks ago.

On 18/09/2022 at 08:57, Just Browny said:

not the rugby itself (or ticket sales!).

*taps sign*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just been to the Village Hotel in Warrington for a family swim. All the PNG players were knocking about the hotel. 

My wife basically ignored me for an hour in the pool. Thanks for making me feel inadequate lads. 😠

Getting exciting now actually seeing players around town! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1