Match thread. Championship Playoff semifinal. Featherstone Rovers v Batley. Sunday 25th September 2022

Fevrover

34 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Got to feel for MarkLasPalmas here. He's been a solid starter (of Match Threads) all the way through the regular season, never missed a game, then is replaced as soon as the play-offs arrive 😀

More than happy to let someone else kick off the semifinal "bants" nice and early. I changed the title for tradition's sake.

You bored of the telly coverage already? My invitation got lost in the post. 

37 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Got to feel for MarkLasPalmas here. He's been a solid starter (of Match Threads) all the way through the regular season, never missed a game, then is replaced as soon as the play-offs arrive 😀

There's a Morgan Smith joke in there somewhere.......

2 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Is it wrong to say my TV is tuned to RoversTV?

Each to their own. These bagpipes are impressive.

I don't mind admitting it's taking me some time to get my head around this huge change.

We've been thinking Halifax for weeks and now it's Batley. They're dangerous. Lingard is a top coach.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, mightyship said:

Gonna be a cracker - chance for Fev to show we can beat Batley when it really matters and I’m sure they are relishing another go at us. But as a few have said - our pack choices are different this time and I think that will see us through. It will be a close tense game and the bulldogs will not go away and will battle to the end - Fev by 8 I reckon.

PS hope it’s not a repeat of the semi a few years back - remember Flangans drop goal ☹️

Who can forget 😆

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

I don't mind admitting it's taking me some time to get my head around this huge change.

We've known for some time that this was going to happen. But nothing really prepares you for it. For most of us, it feels like the departure of the last constant in our lives.

That's assuming Locky DOES retire, of course.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, marklaspalmas said:

We've been thinking Halifax for weeks and now it's Batley. They're dangerous. Lingard is a top coach.

Yeah and let's hope the coach and players haven't been plotting the downfall of Fax in the past week or so. In ability however there is not much difference in the standard of Fax and Batley. Unfortunately though we were unable to beat one of them on two occasions. I think it will be a very interesting contest this time around.

• Like 3

Know what you mean. You've now got your bogey team.

Bongser was expecting to see Barrow at LSV next week - our bogeyish team. No, they haven't beaten Leigh this season (as Fev did early doors) but would have drawn on their midden bar for a missed Sammut penalty late on. They, at 24, averaged the highest points scored against Leigh this season (for the pedants, so did HKR).

Now we face a York team that we scored a ton against a month ago, but looked good yesterday.

The play-offs are a raffle.

Good luck next week, if we have to endure this ridiculous system, Leigh v Fev in the final would be only just.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

And ours isn't?

The underdogs come to the post office road for the third play off tie in the history… Will shall see come 6pm Sunday evening who’s playing in the final… I’m not gonna predict anything but hopefully a big crowd will be there for both clubs who have played well this year 

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

I certainly didn't say that.

Fortunately sport allows people to match their powers against opposition in direct competition and so on Sunday Big Mac pits his wits against Lingard. So, we'll see.

I know you didn't but i  think Mac will have learnt a lot from our defeat at home to Batley.

Just can't see us playing as poorly as we did when Batley beat us previously. Full respect to Batley, but we should really be beating them comfortably if we are to have any chance in the final. Batley can be proud of themselves whatever the result on Sunday, but for us defeat would be under achievement.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Johndeere said:

It’s not only the Batley team your boys face it’s the expectation of an easy win and the pressure of the crowds expectations 

Theres absolutely NO pressure on the Batley lads 

If they can't live wi that "pressure" then they've no business being in the play offs.

Of course they can handle that, just the same as leigh will.... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Batley were undoubtedly the better team in the league game at POR and a draw was probably a fair result in the Mount Pleasant league game so certainly no underestimating them from my POV. Of course if they don't turn up like in the Challenge Cup game then we might have a straightforward task but I'm expecting them to come all guns blazing, just like they did in 2013 of course when they hung around and pipped us with the golden point.

We need to turn in an 80-minute performance on Sunday.

• Like 2

If we lose this game then we shall prepare for next season by offloading both the coach and several older players which may be in fevs interests however if rovers win which they should then get thumped against leigh the fans will be more disappointed.

1 hour ago, Johndeere said:

It’s not only the Batley team your boys face it’s the expectation of an easy win and the pressure of the crowds expectations 

They have now lost the element of surprise, however. That defeat earlier in the season will have done Fev more good than an easy victory.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, eltel said:

If we lose this game then we shall prepare for next season by offloading both the coach and several older players which may be in fevs interests however if rovers win which they should then get thumped against leigh the fans will be more disappointed.

Not sure all the fans will think that. I've seen several coaches, ex-players etc say that this Leigh side is the best there has been in the Championship. If we do reach the final and it's against Leigh we'll be massive underdogs, I'd still sooner see us reach the final and get thumped by what some people think effectively is a mid-table SL team than get knocked out in the semis, and of course you can't win it if you're not in it.

I know some fans want Mac out but surely that discussion can be put on hold, all thoughts for now are getting behind the boys and hoping we do well in the play-offs?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Johndeere said:

Easy win ? Don't think anyone thinks that.

• Like 2