Match thread. Championship Playoff semifinal. Featherstone Rovers v Batley. Sunday 25th September 2022

Fevrover

Well done to Batley - outplayed us today. Good luck in the final next week.

As others have said already - Joey went well today as did Hardy I thought. But we need a different coach as with that team and the squad we have we should have won that game. We never seem to build any momentum going into the playoffs and have come unstuck.

roll on 2023 - I’ll be there once again 

we’ll done Batley once again 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Wanger said:

Ford wasn't that bad but i get where you're coming from. He played well 2nd half when all bets were off. I think we need to question the gaffer, not the players

Until Jacks had a go in the last 20 min our half backs were poor they didn't create anything for the backs.Ford only went forward into the line once all the game.He moves sideways and takes defenders with him cramping the threequarters.Chizzy has been a big loss this season as he could change games with a bit of magic.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Until Jacks had a go in the last 20 min our half backs were poor they didn't create anything for the backs.Ford only went forward into the line once all the game.He moves sideways and takes defenders with him cramping the threequarters.Chizzy has been a big loss this season as he could change games with a bit of magic.

Don't talk about Chizzy 😰

• Like 1

Two narnty farrrrvvvvvvvv!!!

10 minutes ago, Andrewj said:

Fordy only passes the ball never takes on the line or takes a tackle.  I am very surprised you are happy to have him on board in 2023!!

I disagree. He had a part in most of the trys in the 2nd half and took the line on a few times when nothing else was on.

I honestly can't fault the players too much in attack once the game had partly gone, they let loose and played some good rugby. i think the blame lands solely at McDermotts feet for the "system" which just doesn't work in the championship with that set of players and he should have realised that by 10/15 rounds in.

• Like 6

Two narnty farrrrvvvvvvvv!!!

Very dignified responses to what must have been a disappointing end to the season. Well done to you lot for that. Good luck in '23.

FWIW Bongser will be a lot more at ease (whilst taking nothing for granted) to watch Leigh playing Batley rather than Fev next weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well done Batley. Deserved winners.

Poor discipline early on but more pertinently we were just too conservative until the game was virtually lost. Jacks was anonymous until then. Is this his doing or the Coaches. His bombs are on the money but catching practice for full backs. No height and never long enough in the air to allow a contest. No adventure.

Wildie was workmanlike but two first half kicks just handed the ball over.

It's as if we're scared to take chances. 

As was said yesterday Hardy should have been in the centres. Broadbent was poor.

Feel for Mac. He tried his best I'm sure but he's got to take responsibility. 

• Like 2

Just now, Squidward said:

Well done Batley. Deserved winners.

Poor discipline early on but more pertinently we were just too conservative until the game was virtually lost. Jacks was anonymous until then. Is this his doing or the Coaches. His bombs are on the money but catching practice for full backs. No height and never long enough in the air to allow a contest. No adventure.

Wildie was workmanlike but two first half kicks just handed the ball over.

It's as if we're scared to take chances. 

As was said yesterday Hardy should have been in the centres. Broadbent was poor.

Feel for Mac. He tried his best I'm sure but he's got to take responsibility. 

Too conservative is 100% on the money. If we played the rugby we did in the last 20 we'd have won comfortably for my money. Although Batley tiring may have had just as much to do with it as us upping the ante. 

On 20/09/2022 at 16:21, Piggy's mate said:

Really pleased we are playing at Fev on Sunday, always enjoy the games at Post Office Road. I'm sure Fev will be too strong for us, but I'll still go for a shock Bulldogs win by 1 point ☝️

Then 80 mins from SL....

Damn 3 points off 😉

• Haha 2

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

5 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

Too conservative is 100% on the money. If we played the rugby we did in the last 20 we'd have won comfortably for my money. Although Batley tiring may have had just as much to do with it as us upping the ante. 

11 min left and we were only 4 points behind playing downhill,so we should have been able to win the game.Although we would have been prosecuted for stealing the game from Batley.

• Like 4

As a Batley supporter, it was a scary last 20 once you started throwing the ball around and Jacks started running. You played into our hands by trying to turn it into a forward battle initially, mainly because we stood up in the tackle and developed lots of second phase ball. 

Great game though! (I Know, I would say that!)

• Like 7

2 hours ago, haskey said:

Well done, Batley. As in earlier posts. they were able to offload far too easily in the first 40 With 14 points down after the break it was not going to be easy. WE gave us a chance and then non tackling did us again. In the end it was too big a hill to climb, and Batley did deserve to win. The tactics even in the first part of the second half was 4 drives 1 pass and kick.  Not sorry to see Broadbent go, and for me so should Ford, as least Smith would have given his all. For me the only bright spot was the improvement shown by Joey

Let's get rid of McD , and get a proven Championship coach.  Anyway roll on 2023 and hope for just as good a season.

Ford is pinching money,not saying we would we would won but Smith would have been better then Ford.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, distantdog said:

As a Batley supporter, it was a scary last 20 once you started throwing the ball around and Jacks started running. You played into our hands by trying to turn it into a forward battle initially, mainly because we stood up in the tackle and developed lots of second phase ball. 

Great game though! (I Know, I would say that!)

It was a good game regardless of the result, no complaints from plenty of Fev fans I've spoken to tonight.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Michael Bates said:

Congratulations to Batley on being the better team. Best of luck next week.

Our discipline and defense in the first half was awful and that's what cost us. Looked to me like the lads sacked off the McDermott master plan for the last 20 and then we actually looked dangerous. The whole balance of the game changed when Jacks started taking the line on.

McDermott has ultimately been a disappointment and as he's apparently said he's failed. His brand of rugby might work in Super League but hasn't done for us. It's been dull and uninspiring. He has to be shown the door.

I think it hurts less as, being realistic, we had zero chance of winning next week.

The plan has to be get some younger forwards in for next year and go again with a coach that understands the championship. 

Good luck Batley 👍

Post of the season for me this.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I said at the time McDermott was the worse decision this club has made in 20 years and I constantly got thrown back 'Bastian'... Given the resources McDermott has been attributed vs the aforementioned I resolutely stand by that. Mind you I have to give McDermott some credit today..

.. He has probably saved us all of the embarrassment of a club record defeat over at Leigh next Sunday.  Thank you Brian... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have said, on numerous occasions, that we should get behind Mac until the season finishes, which it now has.

Now is the time to judge, and I think that now is the time for him to go. If he had a scrap of dignity, he would resign, but we will see. 

He failed to achieve his goals, and as they say in sport, it's a results driven business.

I would have rather he had achieved his goal, he hasn't and should go...

4 minutes ago, bigbaldnmad said:

I have said, on numerous occasions, that we should get behind Mac until the season finishes, which it now has.

Now is the time to judge, and I think that now is the time for him to go. If he had a scrap of dignity, he would resign, but we will see. 

He failed to achieve his goals, and as they say in sport, it's a results driven business.

I would have rather he had achieved his goal, he hasn't and should go...

Think of the games we have played over the last few seasons our defence has been our strength.I will never forget the gallant performance against Toronto.But this season our defence has been terrible.And as the season progressed it has not improved.If you ship 32 points in a play off game how can you expect to win?.It would be a backward step to keep a coach well passed his sell by date.The end of season was time to judge him and i for one think he has failed.

• Like 4

Thanks to the Fev fans for their kind comments

Hope you come back bigger and stronger next year, although Im over the moon im a little sad we ended it for Fev.

Wish it could be both of us in the final.

Next week, well who knows, on paper we should get slaughtered but, ya never know.

All the best flat cappers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4