This week's disciplinary.

Dave T

8 hours ago, Dave T said:

Because my screen grabs were so popular on the match thread (and I have finally worked out how to resize to upload here)  I have another couple. 

I think Welsby has a couple of problems with his tackle. The first image shows that his tackling shoulder is raised above his own head and despite crouching his own back which is positive for him,  he does raise his tackling arm. 

The 2nd pic shows the point of contact,  and whilst it is blurry,  suggests it is in the face. 

IMG_20220919_115320_copy_420x912.jpg.8f3d6a7c95a82ebb9ba957175ad1a041.jpgIMG_20220919_115358_copy_420x912.jpg.b5393445c8bb0098391442b5202df4a8.jpg

Sorry Dave how is his shoulder above his own head when clearly it isn’t. 

7 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Welsby does have some form for the flying "big hit" that is sometimes on the line between aggressive and reckless. Certainly to the extent that duty of care to the opponents is not near the forefront of decision making.

This from Magic Weekend:

That’s great isn’t it. 

6 hours ago, Loiner said:

I'm not saying there's any comparison apart from there was contact with the head in both cases. Both recipients of the tackle were either ducking into or slipping into the tackle. For what its worth I don't think Welsby did much wrong that's worthy of a

I'll take the dig on the chin Dave but it's the only instance I could think of on the spurr of the moment. Widdop was slipping Atkin was dipping is there any difference both players smacked in the head, Bentleys looked worse I'll grant you. 

This is a stab in the dark but are you in charge of Leeds appeal system. 

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

So another thought, lets say Bateman got 5 games - how would he be able to use England games to use up the bans, surely he wouldnt get selected in the squad?

You could possibly make the same case for Knowles if he gets it increased to 3.

I would still take Knowles if he did a crazy appeal and got 3.  He is missing the first game.

If Bateman got 5 then he is missing all 3 group games and a quarter final.  I wouldn't pick him.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

9 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

So another thought, lets say Bateman got 5 games - how would he be able to use England games to use up the bans, surely he wouldnt get selected in the squad?

You could possibly make the same case for Knowles if he gets it increased to 3.

If you aren’t selected in the squad games wouldn’t be counted. 

2 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

If you aren’t selected in the squad games wouldn’t be counted. 

Just from a process perspective.  Does the final squad have to be announced before the warm up game?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Just from a process perspective.  Does the final squad have to be announced before the warm up game?

I believe squads are supposed to be named on the 24th - this Saturday. However, its hard to believe the Aussies will finalise theirs before the NRL grand final.

1 minute ago, Spotty Herbert said:

I believe squads are supposed to be named on the 24th - this Saturday. However, its hard to believe the Aussies will finalise theirs before the NRL grand final.

Yes, I can't see them doing that. 

35 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Sorry Dave how is his shoulder above his own head when clearly it isn’t. 

It was clumsy wording by me sorry,  I was trying to make the point that his tackling shoulder was raised above his other shoulder. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I would think Big Mal pretty much knows his squad by now

Is Payne Haas coming or not? Or is he playing for Samoa? Mal may know the squad he wants, but that's not necessarily what he will get. There could still be injuries and suspensions from the last three NRL games as well.

9 hours ago, Dunbar said:

We will see what the panel come up with.

My view is that the Welsby one was a cracking tackle and the Knowles one was a sin bin but nothing more.

So I will quote myself before someone quotes me.

Seems like the panel saw this as more serious than I did so I will hold my hands up and say I got it wrong.

• Like 4

Just now, Dave T said:

It was clumsy wording by me sorry,  I was trying to make the point that his tackling shoulder was raised above his other shoulder. 

It’s a still though and as you tackle the shoulder you are using you will put force through. It will always go in front or above during the tackle. Especially if you have someone lined up like Welsby clearly did. Having said that I wouldn’t know if that is frowned upon by the MRP or not. 

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I would think Big Mal pretty much knows his squad by now

The Aussies have always selected players who have performed in the biggest games... SOO, Grand Finals.  I am sure he has a very good idea but I am also sure someone could have two blinders and force their way in.

1 minute ago, Spotty Herbert said:

Is Payne Haas coming or not? Or is he playing for Samoa? Mal may know the squad he wants, but that's not necessarily what he will get. There could still be injuries and suspensions from the last three NRL games as well.

Indeed , the last part is especially apposite . In terms of selection these games will be probably reinforce what he knows .

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

So I will quote myself before someone quotes me.

Seems like the panel saw this as more serious than I did so I will hold my hands up and say I got it wrong.

To be fair I was the same as you but I like the player so was probably a bit of rose tinted glasses on my part. I don’t think he meant to end up where he did but he likes to dominate the tackle and lost this one and was desperately trying to control it. As I said at the time it was stupid and can have no complaints. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

This is a stab in the dark but are you in charge of Leeds appeal system. 

I wish I was I wouldn't have made so many frivolous appeals.

• Like 2