This week's disciplinary.

Dave T

26 minutes ago, my missus said:

whatever happens you can count on the rugby league doing the worst possible thing as far as the world cup goes.

Nope, in this case it is Saints causing problems for England / the World Cup.

15 hours ago, Loiner said:

As they shouldn't be. All these bans should be served at club level at the start of the next super league season, not England games or any friendlys.

I agree with this unless it is some sort of gross misconduct offence which I think should be all game. If someone 'does a Hopoate' it would be unsavoury to get a 9-month ban or whatever then pop up at a World Cup. Obviously I wouldn't put this Knowles offence in that bracket.

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I actually think the Knowles incident looked actually worse than it was. I'm not arguing that he didn't deserve a ban or the yellow. All defenders grab the non ball playing wrist to prevent the player from regaining his feet and to slow the play of the ball down however he kept hold of it as he cleared the ruck which meant the arm was moved to an unnatural position. I don't think there was any additional pressure applied and I also think the over reaction of the Salford player made it look worse (sadly not the only example of milkining a pen in the game) funnily enough he was absolutely fine to continue🤔. Still it was stupid by Knowles and he can't really have any complaints. 

5 minutes ago, The Ghost of 99 said:

Bateman has been named in the England Knights squad to use up one of his ban games. Strange that Knowles has not if they're going to so blatantly play the game like that.

It's ridiculous but if it's allowed then I don't blame them for doing so.

It really should be like Football where domestic bans only count domestically.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Damien said:

God, but it's lucky for us that we fly so low under the radar sometimes.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Congratulations to young John Bateman on his Knights call up.  This could be the start of an exciting career as long as we don't put too much pressure on his young shoulders and expect too much too soon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

21 minutes ago, The Ghost of 99 said:

Bateman has been named in the England Knights squad to use up one of his ban games. Strange that Knowles has not if they're going to so blatantly play the game like that.

Maybe players from grand final teams can’t be involved in the knights game. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Maybe players from grand final teams can’t be involved in the knights game. 

I think it's clear that things like that don't matter, if the RFL wants to they can. Maybe there is just little point as Knowles only has a 2 game ban anyway and will miss no World Cup matches.

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think it's clear that things like that don't matter, if the RFL wants to they can. Maybe there is just little point as Knowles only has a 2 game ban anyway and will miss no World Cup matches.

As pointed out by Chris it appears they can be selected anyway was just a thought. He only has two games as it stands. 

7 minutes ago, Jughead said:

It’s safe to assume Bateman has at least two games, he’ll miss the Knights games and quite possibly England’s friendly with Fiji. 

He been charged with a Grade D for striking so has to get at least 3 games and up to 5. I think the RFL have already told us he's guilty anyway!

2 hours ago, Jughead said:

It’s a real poor look from the ones who are handing out the punishment, The RFL, to then allow for loopholes to be exploited in such a way and not really a good look for England or the international game. 

Is any of this looking good?

1. Our critics remark we are just a bunch of Butch Dingles kicking the proverbial out of each other.
  2. The RFL simultaneously looking clueless, self serving, biased and making up as they go along.
  3. The refs appearing to be inconsistent and weak.
  4. The supporters hurled into a "culture war" between those wokists who read the science and want to diminish the neurological risks and the biff brigade denouncing it as natural.

St Helens did a tremendous hatchet job on Salford. Neutered their attacking blaze with a "robust" approach that was in and out of the Laws. Use of the head, shoulder, chicken winging, eye gorging (is that real) and professional fouls. All it needed was a finger up someone's sphincter.

A lack of firm and consistent refereeing  on the day and a comprehensive response from the RFL has endorsed, enabled and clarified the rough house way. . 

Its a mess but a mess of our making. Shame there is too many vested interests wishing it to kept it that way.

Edited by idrewthehaggis
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, idrewthehaggis said:

1. Our critics remark we are just a bunch of Butch Dingles kicking the proverbial out of each other.
  2. The RFL simultaneously looking clueless, self serving, biased and making up as they go along.
  4. The supporters hurled into a "culture war" between those wokists who read the science and want to diminish the neurological risks and the biff brigade denouncing it as natural.

Like a bad 1960's kitchen sink drama.

Cigar smoke surrounded local magnate and rugby league owner Sir Richardson turned to the agonised wife of opposition star player Johnny Goode who is left crumpled after a tackle in the semi final.

"No Mavis, its a man's game. Blood will be spilled on occasions."

Thirty years on, Johnny is being helped across a pleasant hospital garden. His son is annoyed with his dad's repetitive statements. Mavis turns to her husband and whispers "Its alright now Johnny, you are safe."

St Helens did a tremendous hatchet job on Salford. Neutered their attacking blaze with a "robust" approach that was in and out of the Laws. Use of the head, shoulder, chicken winging, eye gorging (is that real) and professional fouls. All it needed was a finger up someone's sphincter.

A lack of firm and consistent refereeing  on the day and a comprehensive response from the RFL has endorsed, enabled and clarified the rough house way. . 

Its a mess but a mess of our making. Shame there is too many vested interests wishing it to kept it that way.

I’ll be honest, I didn’t read most of that. 

As for Big Bad Saints’ approach on Saturday, I’d argue that’s a one eyed view and misses out at least two shoulder charges (Taylor when Ackers put himself to sleep and Watkins), a stamp by Sneyd on Batchelor (albeit accidental in the act of scoring by Batchelor) and an obstruction that was never given. I don’t think playing ######-for-tat “but they did this?” games is useful to anybody but does show that a lot more could and probably should have been given for both sides on Saturday. Ultimately, whoever was the loser on Saturday, they’d have had some fair arguments about decisions by the officials. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Stop it kids. 

Just accept you lads set the stall up as such and the luck is they got away with it and the RFL are either unable or unwilling to manage a competitive team that dwells in and out of the range of the Laws. 

41 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I’ll be honest, I didn’t read most of that. 

Really stop.

I think all the arguments have been exhausted and really the only matter worth debating is how we dont get stuck in this again.

Plus lets be civil people. There are fair bigger issues in this great and grim world to be mithered about. 

I hope you all enjoy being in big city Manchester this weekend and remember to spend often and expansively. 

Don't be spooked by the modernity, skyscrapers, trams, planes, lots and lots of people with progressive and liberal attitudes, noise and excitement, museums and bars, theatres and shops. 

There really is not a better places for a Rugby League Cup Final.

This autumn not just once, but twice!!

Enjoy.

Edited by idrewthehaggis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, idrewthehaggis said:

way way OTT

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Damien said:

It really should be like Football where domestic bans only count domestically.

When Ben Westwood punched Blake Green in 2013 Grand Final not only did he stay on the field but he subsequently received only a one match suspension. This probably had something to do with the fact he was in the England World Cup squad that year.

So, Saints did a hatchet job with all the fouls you can think of (and a few more thrown in for good measure).

A good solid dig at both the referees and the RFL.

A nice bit of culture war and wokism tossed in to add some spice.

and then....

Plus lets be civil people.

• Like 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris