This week's disciplinary.

Dave T

5 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

Sorry only went back a couple of pages.

It's all cool.  It's a good line.

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

The fact that Knowles can play in the Grand final is a joke, what's the point of the disciplinary if a player can win an appeal when it's crystal clear he's guilty. Im not saying that there shouldn't be an appeals process but to chicken wing an arm to that extent and then be allowed to play next week is wrong . 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, The Lad said:

The fact that Knowles can play in the Grand final is a joke, what's the point of the disciplinary if a player can win an appeal when it's crystal clear he's guilty. Im not saying that there shouldn't be an appeals process but to chicken wing an arm to that extent and then be allowed to play next week is wrong . 

You're not the first to say that today and won't be the last but nothing will change it.

• Like 2

We're incensed by this. Rightly.

But the casual RL supporter (if they actually exist)? Not sure. You'd have to explain what we were talking about to start off. Chicken wing: what's that?

I spent over an hour yelling at my late father about cannonball tackles, and he'd watched RL for 60 years at least. They didn't exist. Someone's got to take their legs, he argued . Maybe so, I said, but not like that; not in a way that may cause permanent injury. He still thought I was completely wrong. 

Edited by Stuff Smith

53 minutes ago, The Lad said:

Would you chicken wing a wing and not an arm, would it be better to call it chicken arm or maybe relable the move as a Knowles arm or chicken Knowles?

Bet he's going to get some stick next season, if rugby fans weren't so tight (Yorkshire in mind) he would probably get kfc pieces threw at him at every away ground 🤣 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, meast said:

Huddersfield, as we apparently offer nothing to Super League, but we'd "bring loads" to TRFL 🙂 

Okay, so that's a 2 team membership of Leigh and Huddersfield so far! Unless we can get some more members I'm guessing we are gonna get a lot of moaning about repeat fixtures! 

• Like 1

I can't quite believe this. I mean, if you were watching on telly it was clear as day, filling the entire screen and replayed endlessly. I've seen some bad stuff but for out and out cynical shithousery I can't think of anything worse. 

Awful stuff.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Okay, so that's a 2 team membership of Leigh and Huddersfield so far! Unless we can get some more members I'm guessing we are gonna get a lot of moaning about repeat fixtures! 

London please! We'd come bottom (obviously) and it'd be hilarious predictable.

13 hours ago, SalfordSlim said:

The stuff being posted on RedVee is by and large an absolute embarassment by the majority. Fair play to those who are calling the RFL out but they're by far in the minority. One "not very happy" (work it out😉) poster being probably the worst of them and looking forward to seeing what he's got to say on here.

Now Saints fans don't like the Scousers tag but there sure is a victim mentality/never our fault vibe going around at the moment. You've pretty much signed your own death warrant on that one lads & lasses.🤦‍♂️

I haven’t got that mentally LA, so please don’t tar me with that Mr Slim, you WoolyBack. 

On 22/09/2022 at 00:30, Loiner said:

Couldn't agree more, it's Elland Road for me next season. There's no credibility left in the game. A sad day for rugby league.

Football & Credibility. I don’t see them going together either.
But it doesn’t seem to affect football fans with all the poor decisions & diving that happens in their sport. Id imagine out of the 37,000 Leeds Utd fans that turn out every other week, not many have said “im done with football, it’s the Leeds Rhinos for me and my lad next season”. 
Next year the Rhinos attendances will be pulling in the same gates as SRD, as they would have all jumped ship and gone watching the peacocks 🦚

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Fevrover said:

I agree entirely but don't cut yer nose off to spite yer face,Leeds are your team NOT Saints and they aren't the first team to 'get looked after ' and they won't be the last and i  include Leeds in that. Shocking decision 🙄 but what can us mere mortals do ? Carry on supporting our club's because if we stay away it won't help our club's. Good luck on Saturday.

I agree with all of that Fevrover bar the last four words. Although id be willing to give up Saints winning the GF if it meant Australia don’t get to the RLWC Final. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Stanley30 said:

I'm genuinely baffled that the saints fans on their forum believe justice has prevailed. It was horrendous to watch and deliberate, thank god atkin was ok 

I only go on this site Stanley so i don’t know which site you mean. But id imagine every club site has fans who are so blinkered no matter how many times you explain things to them and show them the evidence they will not admit their club was wrong. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Stuff Smith said:

But the casual RL supporter (if they actually exist)? Not sure. You'd have to explain what we were talking about to start off. Chicken wing: what's that?

I spent over an hour yelling at my late father about cannonball tackles, and he'd watched RL for 60 years at least. They didn't exist. Someone's got to take their legs, he argued . Maybe so, I said, but not like that; not in a way that may cause permanent injury. He still thought I was completely wrong. 

There will be a few hundred thousand watching the game on Sky on the weekend and the vast majority won't even have a clue that this appeal on an appeal even took place.

• Like 5

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, Stuff Smith said:

Irrespective of chicken wings (I think the name is a red herring -  it's just an illegal tackle), sports fans from outside of RL will just see a disciplinary controversy,  and they will know that these things happen in their sports too. 

Sports people are used to governing bodies getting things wrong,  the FA,  ECB,  RFU etc all get loads of stick.  They will just see it as part of sport. Look at the F1 finale last season. 

To be clear,  this is absolutely rubbish,  we should be much better,  but it's normal,  and controversy works. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Irrespective of chicken wings (I think the name is a red herring -  it's just an illegal tackle), sports fans from outside of RL will just see a disciplinary controversy,  and they will know that these things happen in their sports too. 

Sports people are used to governing bodies getting things wrong,  the FA,  ECB,  RFU etc all get loads of stick.  They will just see it as part of sport. Look at the F1 finale last season. 

To be clear,  this is absolutely rubbish,  we should be much better,  but it's normal,  and controversy works. 

Personally I think we have whipped ourselves up into a frenzy on this board.

To be honest, I didn't think the actual incident was that bad.  As I said on page 1 I missed the incident live and after seeing all the comments I went back to look thinking it was going to be horrible.  In the end I thought it was a foul and sin bin but nothing more.  But if it was a ban then I would be OK with that as well.

The disciplinary and appeals process has then made a right mess of things with the ban put in place and the original appeals panel upholding it (and that should have been the end of the saga) but inexplicably stating they agree with the defence that the arm/shoulder was not put in a dangerous position.  Crazy.

There is nothing in the disciplinary process that a bit of common sense from the participants can't resolve.  It is the people at fault, not the process.

• Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

To be honest, I didn't think the actual incident was that bad.  As I said on page 1 I missed the incident live and after seeing all the comments I went back to look thinking it was going to be horrible.  In the end I thought it was a foul and sin bin but nothing more.  But if it was a ban then I would be OK with that as well.

The disciplinary and appeals process has then made a right mess of things with the ban put in place and the original appeals panel upholding it (and that should have been the end of the saga) but inexplicably stating they agree with the defence that the arm/shoulder was not put in a dangerous position.  Crazy.

There is nothing in the disciplinary process that a bit of common sense from the participants can't resolve.  It is the people at fault, not the process.

We still haven't seen the minutes from appeal 1. We are all quoting what they said from minutes from appeal 2.

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

My view on the foul is that it was nasty and cynical foul that should absolutely see players banned. We ban for a slight late moderate hit because we don't want players doing that,  we should absolutely ban for arm twists and holds that have no place in the game. 

I hadn't seen much calls for it being the worst thing ever -  people were pretty content that a couple of matches was a suitable punishment,  and based on players getting a couple of matches for moderate high tackles and similar,  it was seen as fair in the main. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Stuff Smith said:

I thin sometimes on an enthusiasts forum like this we lose track of what things are like in the real world, people thinking this will somehow be detrimental to the sport as a whole are way off. It will nark fans for a while, some might huff and puff but in general it will have zero effect. 

The same was said about that thug Ben Flowers attack on an unconscious Lance Hohaia in the final, yet it had no overriding negative impact at all as far as I can tell, at last no long lasting ones.

• Like 3

Just now, dkw said:

I thin sometimes on an enthusiasts forum like this we lose track of what things are like in the real world, people thinking this will somehow be detrimental to the sport as a whole are way off. It will nark fans for a while, some might huff and puff but in general it will have zero effect. 

The same was said about that thug Ben Flowers attack on an unconscious Lance Hohaia in the final, yet it had no overriding negative impact at all as far as I can tell, at last no long lasting ones.

Spot on.  RL fans are constantly claiming every slight thing is a massive issue and harms the game and the games dying etc.  In reality,  RL is no different to other sports.  One of my favourite bits of nonsense from fans is 'Only in RL,  or Typical RL'  when other sports often do identical things. 

We should demand better from the governing body and clubs and players because we are fans/customers,  not because we are so insecure we think everyone is always judging us. 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Dave T said:

My view on the foul is that it was nasty and cynical foul that should absolutely see players banned. We ban for a slight late moderate hit because we don't want players doing that,  we should absolutely ban for arm twists and holds that have no place in the game. 

I hadn't seen much calls for it being the worst thing ever -  people were pretty content that a couple of matches was a suitable punishment,  and based on players getting a couple of matches for moderate high tackles and similar,  it was seen as fair in the main. 

This is what's a bit bizarre about the whole incident - out of all of the dubious bans we have had this season this one was actually seen as a pretty fair one and the 2 matched was almost universally seen as correct (bar some saints fans) yet it was the one that got wiped off, and in a very spurious way, as you say the notes from the actual meeting have never seen the light of day, it has been handled (despite what Woolf says) terribly and has distracted from the build up of the biggest game of the season.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Spot on.  RL fans are constantly claiming every slight thing is a massive issue and harms the game and the games dying etc.  In reality,  RL is no different to other sports.  One of my favourite bits of nonsense from fans is 'Only in RL,  or Typical RL'  when other sports often do identical things. 

We should demand better from the governing body and clubs and players because we are fans/customers,  not because we are so insecure we think everyone is always judging us. 

It will have zero impact on the sport, especially from casual fans, I doubt they even know about it, there seems to be very little coverage of the game as it is.

However as is being said that doesn't mean it shouldn't be swept under the carpet, the whole process needs looking at for next season