Barrow

thecrab

They are obviously doing something that appeals to fans. They have the luxury of not having massive clubs (Leeds, Wigan,st Helens etc on their doorstep. The same problem in football. I know there are quite a few that don't like our chairman. I can't see any way forward for the club as it is now.

I get so exasperated with these recurring whiney comments. We all know we're not where we want to be. Do you honestly think that whinging and moaning and sniping and "let's look at companies House" is really going to change things? Do you really think that CH is looking at this forum and thinking "you know what they are right, I'm going to jack it in and hand it over to them because they know the facts!!!!?". No! We are where we are. I've pointed out ad nauseum this season was a dead rubber. Behind the scenes is what's happening. We have a 15 year lease on a training ground. A ladies team is well into its formation The noises from Frank Rothwell are positive vis a vis  boundary park. As they say the only way is up! Come Oldham come on Oldham!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

I get so exasperated with these recurring whiney comments. We all know we're not where we want to be. Do you honestly think that whinging and moaning and sniping and "let's look at companies House" is really going to change things? Do you really think that CH is looking at this forum and thinking "you know what they are right, I'm going to jack it in and hand it over to them because they know the facts!!!!?". No! We are where we are. I've pointed out ad nauseum this season was a dead rubber. Behind the scenes is what's happening. We have a 15 year lease on a training ground. A ladies team is well into its formation The noises from Frank Rothwell are positive vis a vis  boundary park. As they say the only way is up! Come Oldham come on Oldham!

People are just fed up. The companies house thing isn't my cup of tea either. I've had a few gripes on here this season,I could be one of the people cheesing you off.People need an outlet,it's not as though we have a chairman who listens or so it seems. It's a forum for people to view their thoughts, frustrations and whatever else. I like it that we can voice our thoughts,this forum is a fantastic resource for people. And it's free. You only need to read what you want to. All the best mate.

• Like 1

It's not whinging and moaning, it's looking at where we are going wrong and fixing itlooking at other clubs who were in our position and are now thriving with crowds 6 or 7 times what we are getting, learning lessons from them, why are we still struggling in this position when other clubs are getting stronger?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Of course CH doesn't look at this forum and this vent won't matter a jot! 😀   , but this is a place where we can share our frustrations and concerns over a twenty year decline of professional rugby in Oldham and the constant throughout this period has been the owner.  Do you think if the current club had folded over that period and we'd gone into liquidation again,  we could be in any worse state than we currently are ? I would have preferred for that to happen and give another individual or group of people a go than endure what we've experienced.   We all know that the owner has no money to invest into the club but he has also failed to attract any meaningful investment. I'm sure CH loves Oldham Rugby League and his dedication and commitment is admirable and can't be questioned, but that doesn't mean he is the right person to be the steward of professional rugby league in Oldham.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

I think people are entitled to express their unhappiness at the current situation. I prefer it to complete apathy as it at least shows that people still care. Let's be honest, this is the 'new club's' lowest ebb. I've watched this forum deteriorate over a number of years and only felt recently compelled to join and post for the first time as I'm really fearful for the club's future. It's clear from the postings on here that our remaining fanbase is completely split. If the rumoured RFL changes come in, the next 12 months will be critical. We can't simply carry on as we have done over the last 20 odd years. If things don't change dramatically, I fear we'll end up going the way of Bramley. The ground will be a key element of licensing / franchising and I've not heard any noise recently from Frank Rothwell on this?  

• Like 3

Of course people are entitled to express their opinion. The trouble is it's the same old negative moan without a constructive means of addressing the problem. We know the problem, repeating it over and over and over and over and over, isn't going to make one iota of a difference. We all know the solution! It's the same one the club has had since it's inception, MONEY! Back in the day it was wealthy benefactors, with the odd public subscription and the occasional bucket and blanket collection. So unless someone wins the lottery let's just do what we, as poor penniless fans, do best and that's turn up, and bore everyone we work and live with , but hopefully convert them to the cause. We are Oldham, we are the first home of Rugby League. We deserve to be at the top table. But before others believe in us  we have to believe in ourselves. Come on Oldham!

10 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Of course people are entitled to express their opinion. The trouble is it's the same old negative moan without a constructive means of addressing the problem. We know the problem, repeating it over and over and over and over and over, isn't going to make one iota of a difference. We all know the solution! It's the same one the club has had since it's inception, MONEY! Back in the day it was wealthy benefactors, with the odd public subscription and the occasional bucket and blanket collection. So unless someone wins the lottery let's just do what we, as poor penniless fans, do best and that's turn up, and bore everyone we work and live with , but hopefully convert them to the cause. We are Oldham, we are the first home of Rugby League. We deserve to be at the top table. But before others believe in us  we have to believe in ourselves. Come on Oldham!

I get what you are saying but the whole discussion here was about looking at Barrow and trying to understand what they are doing that Oldham aren't. Clearly there must be lessons to be learnt? Things that can be improved. I understand that you might get frustrated by 'whiney' comments and I sure that people may get equally frustrated with 'blind positivity' after 20 odd years of decline. Whilst neither approach will 'make an iota of difference', personally I think it's great that some people care enough to still have any opinion and I won't criticise them for it. I envy your unquestioning faith and positivity but equally understand people's frustration. However, what I can't subscribe to is the thought that people on here don't want to have a glimmer of hope. Otherwise, they'd simply turn away from the club like so many others have.  

My hope is that Frank Rothwell wants us back playing at BP and financially we can make it work. From there we may be able to start to build again and hopefully put ourselves in the best possible position ahead of the return of licensing / franchising the season after next. My real fear is that if we stay at Whitebank we are out of the picture and may just fade away. Just my views, no moans, no whines, just hopes and fears. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Roughyed Rats said:

I get what you are saying but the whole discussion here was about looking at Barrow and trying to understand what they are doing that Oldham aren't. Clearly there must be lessons to be learnt? Things that can be improved. I understand that you might get frustrated by 'whiney' comments and I sure that people may get equally frustrated with 'blind positivity' after 20 odd years of decline. Whilst neither approach will 'make an iota of difference', personally I think it's great that some people care enough to still have any opinion and I won't criticise them for it. I envy your unquestioning faith and positivity but equally understand people's frustration. However, what I can't subscribe to is the thought that people on here don't want to have a glimmer of hope. Otherwise, they'd simply turn away from the club like so many others have.  

My hope is that Frank Rothwell wants us back playing at BP and financially we can make it work. From there we may be able to start to build again and hopefully put ourselves in the best possible position ahead of the return of licensing / franchising the season after next. My real fear is that if we stay at Whitebank we are out of the picture and may just fade away. Just my views, no moans, no whines, just hopes and fears. 

👍 Great post👍

Barrow are a very well run club both on and off the field, during the curtailed season due to covid they had picnic tables covering the whole pitch where people could go drink at the club for starters,  they having a huge oktoberfest at the ground too huge marquees, money making the likes we can't do due to no revenue streams to call our own. The below offer for vip season ticket is class too especially if you attend the challenge Cup finals. Hats off to barrow

Screenshot_20220921-211236_Facebook.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Barrow used their pitch for the Euro's during lockdown to raise cash, then dug up some terracing and put a semi permanent marquee up with bar and have lots of events.  They have a large group of directors, not rich people but all share the workload. Kids are allowed in for free and folk entering the ground early get a £5 voucher for booze or food. The supporters group does lots of fundraising and they run two ladies teams and an academy.  They have some sponsorship which helps them employ people to visit schools and do lots of community work.  The club has been transformed over the last 4 years. 

• Like 4