WCC

JM2010

16 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Are there any plans to bring back the WWC?

I used to really enjoy watching the games and it's another big event for the RL calendar.

It says “The Nrl are reportedly planning to bring out the super league champions next year to revive the world club challenge, as part of the nrl pre-season”.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SydneyRoosters said:

It says “The Nrl are reportedly planning to bring out the super league champions next year to revive the world club challenge, as part of the nrl pre-season”.

I hope so. Would like to see it expanded at some point too but am more than happy with the current format

5 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

And those last 3 words are why it will never be taken seriously and given the respect it deserves by Australian fans.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

And those last 3 words are why it will never be taken seriously and given the respect it deserves by Australian fans.

I think it should become a 4 team competition at the end of every season. Not this pre season game rubbish, the fact that the game is played as a “pre season” game completely eliminates the competitiveness of the game. The only team that actually cares about winning it are the roosters.

18 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

I think it should become a 4 team competition at the end of every season. Not this pre season game rubbish, the fact that the game is played as a “pre season” game completely eliminates the competitiveness of the game. The only team that actually cares about winning it are the roosters.

An end of season competition would destroy the Tier 1 international scene, which is massively more important for the sport. Pre (NRL) season is the only realistic option.

• Like 2

Always enjoyed them, either being a part of or just watching as a neutral and it was yet another part of the calendar that needed work to it. The last one, Saints v Sydney Roosters, had a real big event and big game feel to it and Saints got quite close to the Roosters on the night. I hope it’s brought back but after a World Cup and an extended period without them, I can’t see it, sadly. 

4 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Jet-lagged Saints well beaten by Penrith fringe first teamers. Can't wait.

I'd love the WCC to be taken seriously.

Think its pretty even over the years in SL to NRL wins - the difference is when SL win the NRL says its a trial game but when the NRL win they say SL isn't good enough. 

I remember the Leeds team of 10 or so years ago beating the NRLs best or even Stuart Fielding destroying tjr NRL champs more or less on his own about 20 years ago.

Ask the Sydney Roosters if they take it seriously- they brag about being the team with the most WCC wins.

1 minute ago, Mr Frisky said:

Think its pretty even over the years in SL to NRL wins - the difference is when SL win the NRL says its a trial game but when the NRL win they say SL isn't good enough. 

I remember the Leeds team of 10 or so years ago beating the NRLs best or even Stuart Fielding destroying tjr NRL champs more or less on his own about 20 years ago.

Ask the Sydney Roosters if they take it seriously- they brag about being the team with the most WCC wins.

And yet it was dropped. 

I'd love to see it revived. Properly. And I think it works best as a UK based event run by the RFL rather than the individual club.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

And yet it was dropped. 

I'd love to see it revived. Properly. And I think it works best as a UK based event run by the RFL rather than the individual club.

It wasn't dropped, it just hasn't taken place over the past 2 years because of COVID.

I don't think Ivan Cleary is particularly pro-WCC. He comes across as someone for whom the NRL season is the only vital thing. Not sure he's even particularly thrilled by letting his stars play Origin, to be honest.

Souths, Roosters, Broncos and Raiders are clubs who have seemed pretty positive about it over the years. Not sure about the other Aussie sides.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ideally it would be at the end of the season for proper context but for various reasons , not least the international ramifications that doesnt happen. It loses something as basically a preseason warm up but if both sides ( basically their side ) buys into it its still a worthwhile and interesting game because its unique . Hopefully whoever wins the NRL Grand Final , and i think it may depend on this , is up for it 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I don't think Ivan Cleary is particularly pro-WCC. He comes across as someone for whom the NRL season is the only vital thing. Not sure he's even particularly thrilled by letting his stars play Origin, to be honest.

Souths, Roosters, Broncos and Raiders are clubs who have seemed pretty positive about it over the years. Not sure about the other Aussie sides.

I'd probably mention Melbourne and Man.ly as well.

Penrith do seem very anti it. The way Brian Fletcher described it before the 2022 season as the club giving it ''the flick'' was pretty saddening, dismissive language to hear.

14-13 to NRL teams  23 games played in Uk 5 down under (including  1 in NZ)

Roosters 5 wins, Wigan 4, Storm 3 Leeds 3 Bradford 3, St Helens 2, Brisbane 2, Widnes, manly, st george, souths, north queensland 1 win each 

( 97 brisbane  beat hunter mariners)

Wigan the only UK winners down under

5 different UK participants (all winners, see above)

13 different Aussie participants (not including hunter mariners)

Only aussie teams not to play in one - Titans, eels ( as well as warriors)

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Penrith to receive World Club Challenge gift (msn.com)

Penrith is on the verge of playing host to the World Club Challenge against Super League champions St Helens in 2023.

Officials from both the NRL and England are keen to get the annual clash back on track after COVID-19 forced the concept to be abandoned for the past two years

According to The Sydney Morning Herald Penrith has lobbied St Helens, who have won the Super League four years in a row, to travel to Penrith in February to take on the NRL premiers, in what would be the Panthers' second trial leading into the 2023 season.

"It would have been impossible for us to go over there, but talk of them coming out here is excellent," the club's CEO Brian Fletcher said.

The game will also be televised on F.T.A.
I think the recent broadcast fiasco has really put a rocket up our administrators who are now looking at every way they can use to increase the value of our deal next time. 
There`s been more talk of a 5 week International window at the end of every non-WC year as well.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Penrith to receive World Club Challenge gift (msn.com)

Penrith is on the verge of playing host to the World Club Challenge against Super League champions St Helens in 2023.

Officials from both the NRL and England are keen to get the annual clash back on track after COVID-19 forced the concept to be abandoned for the past two years

According to The Sydney Morning Herald Penrith has lobbied St Helens, who have won the Super League four years in a row, to travel to Penrith in February to take on the NRL premiers, in what would be the Panthers' second trial leading into the 2023 season.

"It would have been impossible for us to go over there, but talk of them coming out here is excellent," the club's CEO Brian Fletcher said.

The game will also be televised on F.T.A.
I think the recent broadcast fiasco has really put a rocket up our administrators who are now looking at every way they can use to increase the value of our deal next time. 
There`s been more talk of a 5 week International window at the end of every non-WC year as well.

Really hope it happens.

Does anyone know why it would be impossible for Penrith to travel?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Really hope it happens.

Does anyone know why it would be impossible for Penrith to travel?

I think because a lot of Panther`s players are already over there with the current WC and Panther`s club wasn`t keen for them to travel back again in February.

Suits me, I won`t have to get out of bed at sparrow`s #*%! to watch it.

It will also be great to have an English side in the city for the week as well, will generate some great headlines and photo-ops that our main rival has no hope of competing with.

• Like 1