Sun 25th Sept: Ch SF: Featherstone Rovers v Batley Bulldogs KO 16:00 (Premier Sports)

Who will win?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Featherstone Rovers
    • Batley Bulldogs

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/09/22 at 15:30

11 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Wakey did it though as far as I remember.

So have Cas,Salford,Widnes,Leigh,London,Toronto,Tolouse, 

Keep building those stands because building a team to get promoted seems way beyond Fevs capabilities.

When we were the best team in the Championship with Leigh SL was a closed shop.Since promotion returned we have played in 2 Finals against full time teams Toronto and Toulouse and then yesterdays semi when a Batley side on half our playing budget beat us fair and square.Our team is made up from part time players with about a handfull of full time who do very good work in the local community.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Wakey did it though as far as I remember.

So have Cas,Salford,Widnes,Leigh,London,Toronto,Tolouse, 

Keep building those stands because building a team to get promoted seems way beyond Fevs capabilities.

LOL stands you'd know all about them wouldn't you.

23 minutes ago, binosh said:

It all went wrong for Featherstone when McDermott shipped out Chisholm & Pickersgill.

At that point I believe the team stopped putting the extra heart into it.

Why didn’t he pick Bussey & Davies for that game they’re perfect players to counter Batleys type of forwards.

Absolutely this.

Letting Chisholm go want insane. The one bloke in our squad that could produce some magic and win a game from nowhere.  We sent Pickersgill out on loan when the other fullback was playing on one leg, nuts.

Hopefully Brian Mac is collecting his P45 this morning.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

I would guess your playing budget is 3-4 x Batleys, it was rumoured to be well over £1m

Not sure it was ever anywhere near £1m, but it will definitely have been larger than Batley's by some distance.  

The fact is that we should have steamrollered them and most of the rest of the competition. That we didn't is entirely down to the coach.  Even yesterday it was obvious when we decided to stop playing his "system", it was just 60 minutes too late.

3 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Not sure it was ever anywhere near £1m, but it will definitely have been larger than Batley's by some distance.  

The fact is that we should have steamrollered them and most of the rest of the competition. That we didn't is entirely down to the coach.  Even yesterday it was obvious when we decided to stop playing his "system", it was just 60 minutes too late.

I have said it before David (from expierence) a team can't put a load of 'owd un's' together and expect them to be sprightly game after game (another of Nobel's stratergies at Salford), the fact that they have won so many games easily is not the skill and superior fitness of Fev it is that there are not many in the comp that can take them on in Mac's run up the middle tactics, Leigh and Batley can do that and Fev suffer for it.

I have never been an admirer of Big Mac in my opinion you played far better Rugby under the previous coach James Webster.

20 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Think 750k/800k would be nearer the mark,Batleys would be about half that may be a little less .They are a very well run club who cut their cloth accordingly.

According to our chairman, our playing budget for this year is around £200k. I also have it on good authority, that Barrow's playing budget for this season was £600k, so I would expect Fev's budget was quite a bit more than Barrow's.

Edited by DOGFATHER
  • Like 1

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

I have never been an admirer of Big Mac in my opinion you played far better Rugby under the previous coach James Webster.

I agree.  Sadly Webster wasn't able to go fulltime due to his academic career and is now lost to the game.

Ryan Carr was our best coach in years.   We played some brilliant Rugby under both and even though we were 2nd best both seasons, it was a joy to watch.  This season, turning up and supporting felt like a chore.  I gave most away games a swerve and if I hadn't had a season ticket I think I'd have missed a lot of home games too.

Can't see me forking out for a ST unless there's a new head coach in place.

2 minutes ago, Faithful1865 said:

So it seems he wasn't the architect of all Leeds' successes. I always thought it was the likes of Sinfield etc who dictated the tactics.

Becoming more and more apparent. Gets praise for winning the grand final from nowhere (5th or 6th whatever it was), a bloke that could coach with that side would have won the grand final from first place.

50 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

When we were the best team in the Championship with Leigh SL was a closed shop.Since promotion returned we have played in 2 Finals against full time teams Toronto and Toulouse and then yesterdays semi when a Batley side on half our playing budget beat us fair and square.Our team is made up from part time players with about a handfull of full time who do very good work in the local community.

Similar to what Leigh did in the early 2000s, when we were runners up to Huddersfield and Salford.

Unfortunately, I think there is now an issue for any part time clubs that have aspirations of playing Super League. They'll have to make the switch to full time either before or after promotion, but with inflation / cost of living crisis, how many players are going to give up day jobs for a contract with a club that is not established.

Leigh have similar issues. If we do win next week, I feel we'll go into next season with a better team than we've had in our previous attempts at SL (wouldn't be hard, i hear some say!), but then without reserves / academy, or even the permission of the RFL to start an academy, I don't know how a full time environment can be sustained.

Super League is almost a closed shop in all but name now. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

I agree.  Sadly Webster wasn't able to go fulltime due to his academic career and is now lost to the game.

Ryan Carr was our best coach in years.   We played some brilliant Rugby under both and even though we were 2nd best both seasons, it was a joy to watch.  This season, turning up and supporting felt like a chore.  I gave most away games a swerve and if I hadn't had a season ticket I think I'd have missed a lot of home games too.

Can't see me forking out for a ST unless there's a new head coach in place.

What a Coach he was.......got us to a GF from 5th beating Leigh and Toulouse on the road.

I think we were leading at half time away at Toronto in the final too.

I'd be looking down under for our next coach........the Aussies a miles ahead of us........ just look what a 2nd grade Aussie coach has done at Leeds in half a season.

• Like 2

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

Absolutely this.

Letting Chisholm go want insane. The one bloke in our squad that could produce some magic and win a game from nowhere.  We sent Pickersgill out on loan when the other fullback was playing on one leg, nuts.

Hopefully Brian Mac is collecting his P45 this morning.

I understand Chisholm going as i don't think he's as good as Jacks, but the Pickersgill situation was silly. Very silly.

At the start of the season, Fev had great shape with the ball, loads of options and tbh, they looked very well coached. Something has gone wrong as they clearly didn't look like that recently. Ford always plays quite deep, but it was clear that we wanted a flatter attack yesterday. It just didnt look right..

Whether right or wrong, the optics of keeping the same coach aren't right, so i would like to see a change from that perspective; who, is a completely different thread!

• Like 2

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

2 hours ago, Tubby said:

Humility is a much to be admired quality.

You are correct. I must admit I have made a few snide comments as regards Fev. However in all fairness I have heard plenty from Fev fans about Wakey over the years. I accept Belle Vue has been an embarrassment for years. I also congratulate Fev in their ground development. But many Fev fans have always yapped on about how they should be in SL Infront of Wakey because they have a nicer ground. Well all I can say to that is Wakey never stopped them getting there,(apart from once 😃) they have had years to try and continually fail. This season I thought they were going to have a right go but to be knocked out in the semi is terrible. Fancy stands or not ,many seasons of failure is down to no one else but Fev

I suppose it is interesting that both former successful head coaches,Powell and McDermott,have had difficult first seasons.

Lots of players used.

That former Aussie union guy,Darwin,seems to have been correct.Perhaps.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/its-the-pro14s-fault-former-wallaby-prop-ben-darwin-crunches-the-data-with-some-surprising-results/

Should be an interesting 2023 if Warrington retain Powell and Featherstone release McDermott. 

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

15 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Definitely a bit disappointed , watched the game in the Centurion pub with a whole load of Leythers , yes we all cheered and laughed , but next week will be a bit of an anti climax , was looking forward to the big showdown with Fev 🙁

Instead you have a big showdown with a better team so you should be pleased....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

SIGNATURE

3 hours ago, binosh said:

It all went wrong for Featherstone when McDermott shipped out Chisholm & Pickersgill.

At that point I believe the team stopped putting the extra heart into it.

Why didn’t he pick Bussey & Davies for that game they’re perfect players to counter Batleys type of forwards.

It all went wrong for Featherstone the day you recruited Mc Dermott.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

You are correct. I must admit I have made a few snide comments as regards Fev. However in all fairness I have heard plenty from Fev fans about Wakey over the years. I accept Belle Vue has been an embarrassment for years. I also congratulate Fev in their ground development. But many Fev fans have always yapped on about how they should be in SL Infront of Wakey because they have a nicer ground. Well all I can say to that is Wakey never stopped them getting there,(apart from once 😃) they have had years to try and continually fail. This season I thought they were going to have a right go but to be knocked out in the semi is terrible. Fancy stands or not ,many seasons of failure is down to no one else but Fev

All clubs have fans who are full of bile, but it's never the majority.  I choose not to drop to their level.

I appreciate what you're saying about failure being down to no-one but Fev and over the past frew seasons, I'd agree wholeheartedly; promotion through on field success is the only way for me personally.  However, we also had a number of years when we finished top of what is effectively the second division when there was no promotion due to licencing.  One of those years, Widnes were promoted from sixth in the league.  All of the licencing years, Wakefield and Cas had grounds no better than ours, but imcumbency ruled Wakey in and Fev out, this is probably where the complaints from some quarters comes from about Wakefield being in over Featherstone.

I, for one Fev fan, am chuffed to bits that Belle Vue is finally getting some investment.  Personally, I prefer that to the much vaunted Newmarket development, but that's just me.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

I must admit stands are nice, but believe me a full size flat pitch the SL rugby is played on is much nicer.

A SL place you wouldn't have had if the criteria had been strictly adhered to but plans kept coming out and the RL kept falling for it. Anyway its FINALLY going to be upgraded.

Known Brian Mac for 40 years since Eastmoor days. Great straight forward down to earth bloke. He gives it to you straight and accepts it back. Believe me he will be very disappointed but also realistic. Batley won fair and square. Mac would be the first to admit that fact. Although he may never publicly admit it deep down I believe he also knew that the Fev group were not good enough to get past Leigh.

A coach can only do so much. The players have to possess an inner fight and ruthless desire to overcome times of adversity on the pitch. These traits are easy to show when in the ascendancy but you need them during the grind. That Fev team failed yesterday and some players showed their true colours. 

That was Batley’s very own grand final. I expect Mac to leave although I do not posses any inside knowledge.

• Like 2