Sun 25th Sept: Ch SF: Featherstone Rovers v Batley Bulldogs KO 16:00 (Premier Sports)

Who will win?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Featherstone Rovers
    • Batley Bulldogs

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/09/22 at 15:30

6 minutes ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Known Brian Mac for 40 years since Eastmoor days. Great straight forward down to earth bloke. He gives it to you straight and accepts it back. Believe me he will be very disappointed but also realistic. Batley won fair and square. Mac would be the first to admit that fact. Although he may never publicly admit it deep down I believe he also knew that the Fev group were not good enough to get past Leigh.

A coach can only do so much. The players have to possess an inner fight and ruthless desire to overcome times of adversity on the pitch. These traits are easy to show when in the ascendancy but you need them during the grind. That Fev team failed yesterday and some players showed their true colours. 

That was Batley’s very own grand final. I expect Mac to leave although I do not posses any inside knowledge.

I think the attitude of the players is entirely down to the coaching staff and that failure lands with BM. Yesterday Fev looked like they were expecting an easy win with one eye on Leigh and Batley made them pay.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

I agree.  Sadly Webster wasn't able to go fulltime due to his academic career and is now lost to the game.

Ryan Carr was our best coach in years.   We played some brilliant Rugby under both and even though we were 2nd best both seasons, it was a joy to watch.  This season, turning up and supporting felt like a chore.  I gave most away games a swerve and if I hadn't had a season ticket I think I'd have missed a lot of home games too.

Can't see me forking out for a ST unless there's a new head coach in place.

Agree with that but we've bought one season tickets while they are on offer,good value imo. Surely he won't be staying or it looks like another dull season. But regardless we shall be there, it's OUR club not Mc's.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

I think the attitude of the players is entirely down to the coaching staff and that failure lands with BM. Yesterday Fev looked like they were expecting an easy win with one eye on Leigh and Batley made them pay.

Having said that Batley were well worth their win.

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I suppose it is interesting that both former successful head coaches,Powell and McDermott,have had difficult first seasons.

Lots of players used.

That former Aussie union guy,Darwin,seems to have been correct.Perhaps.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/its-the-pro14s-fault-former-wallaby-prop-ben-darwin-crunches-the-data-with-some-surprising-results/

Should be an interesting 2023 if Warrington retain Powell and Featherstone release McDermott. 

Ive been banging on about cohesion for years, i loved it when i listened to a podcast wi Darwin putting the stats next to it.

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

23 minutes ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Known Brian Mac for 40 years since Eastmoor days. Great straight forward down to earth bloke. He gives it to you straight and accepts it back. Believe me he will be very disappointed but also realistic. Batley won fair and square. Mac would be the first to admit that fact. Although he may never publicly admit it deep down I believe he also knew that the Fev group were not good enough to get past Leigh.

A coach can only do so much. The players have to possess an inner fight and ruthless desire to overcome times of adversity on the pitch. These traits are easy to show when in the ascendancy but you need them during the grind. That Fev team failed yesterday and some players showed their true colours. 

That was Batley’s very own grand final. I expect Mac to leave although I do not posses any inside knowledge.

Interesting comment that "he accepts it back". The bloke has shown no contrition or willingness to discuss anything with the fans. I think yesterday was the first time I've seen him on the field post game, not surprisingly he chose to stand in the centre of the field, away from any of the fans. Also he reportedly didn't entertain a post match drink in the clubhouse. He's shown an unwillingness to adapt or change from his "master plan" or "process", which after a season of matches, I'm still none the wiser what that actually was. I hope he's shown the door pronto.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

If they thought that they were in for an easy win then they really are a set of mugs. Batley had a win and a draw against them already this season so surely that is incentive enough to be on your guard. 

Perhaps some players no better and decide they want to go it alone!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Having said that Batley were well worth their win.

True and I don't want to take anything away from what was a great effort from Batley, but if the attitude and intensity from Fev was what it should have been it shouldn't have matter how well or poorly Batley played. There is too much quality in that Fev team.

25 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

Interesting comment that "he accepts it back". The bloke has shown no contrition or willingness to discuss anything with the fans. I think yesterday was the first time I've seen him on the field post game, not surprisingly he chose to stand in the centre of the field, away from any of the fans. Also he reportedly didn't entertain a post match drink in the clubhouse. He's shown an unwillingness to adapt or change from his "master plan" or "process", which after a season of matches, I'm still none the wiser what that actually was. I hope he's shown the door pronto.

His master plan was simple- get to the MPG, pray to all Gods in the run up and hope for Leigh to have a bad day at the office and get the run of the green all game.

19 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

True and I don't want to take anything away from what was a great effort from Batley, but if the attitude and intensity from Fev was what it should have been it shouldn't have matter how well or poorly Batley played. There is too much quality in that Fev team.

point is , batley are a team fev aint .

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Michael Bates said:

Just replying out of curtesy. When I say “he accepts it back” I mean in general life. I am not making excuses for BM but he has always been a deep complex character. This fact should not have been a shock to the chairman and his staff etc. BM is a very focused and proud individual. Perhaps too regimentally structured at times. He will see this as failing in his allocated mission. 

Regarding engaging with the fans I am not in a position to offer a view either way on this. If I recall correctly things got off to a bad start right from his appointment. Comments attributed to him about the town etc. I personally get that and understand why some fans/residents would be unhappy about it. Some people have long memories and rightly so. After match drink can’t comment because I don’t know.

Regarding his “master plan” or “process” I understand your point. BM probably is limited when it comes to being a master coach. Size does appear to be his weapon of choice. I just want to illustrate by naming one player. I think Jon Davies is a fantastic player for Fev Rovers. Seen him on numerous occasions and this boy can hit. BM does not play him. Could this be the magical size factor coming into play?

So look I like BM as a top bloke with a heart of gold. However like all of us he does not get everything right and perhaps now is the time to move on. Fev Rovers is bigger than my friend BM!

‘Attributed to’?  I get that he’s your friend and it’s admirable you speak out for him, but his comments about small towns being no good to SL were said on live TV. His principles were obviously not so important to him after all as he spent the past year trying to achieve just that.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tubby said:

‘Attributed to’?  I get that he’s your friend and it’s admirable you speak out for him, but his comments about small towns being no good to SL were said on live TV. His principles were obviously not so important to him after all as he spent the past year trying to achieve just that.  

Agreed. I did not condone it at the time and I do not condone it now. Perhaps it’s one of those life lessons. Know your audience as you never know where life’s going to take you!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, georgeb1 said:

point is , batley are a team fev aint .

Fev were a team, before BM dismantled the team spirit they seemed to have in abundance last year. Yesterday they were reliant on the individual efforts of Leilua and a couple of others to try and win the game and they probably should have pulled it off in the end, but for choking the last couple of sets.

3 hours ago, BatleyFanAndy said:

Instead you have a big showdown with a better team so you should be pleased....

Oh don't worry , as I put in my other post , Batley are the Championship party poopers, they've done it before at Leigh , so I'll expect a hard contest and Leigh to be deadly serious in our preparation 

Hope you bring a good following and we see some good Rugby from both sides 

23 hours ago, Neil Monaghan said:

Sorry to say that Batley will never be in superleague and probably don't want to be in superleague and have over achieved again and credit to the Batley club. Fev have spent a huge amount and massively under achieved. I would keep Toulouse in superleague next season and hopefully Leigh win and have 13 teams in superleague and if a team wins the championship next year, don't relegate anyone and have 14 teams the year after, No point relegating someone for the sake of it, needs to be a new way of thinking and growing the game 

But what a massive "Up yours" it would be to the likes of Featherstone and Leigh who have seemingly spent big to get their one season in super league.

A small, part time club with a fanbase of a few hundred and players probably playing for the love of it beating them both to the promised land.

You can imagine Campbell and Beaumont doing their best Baron Greenback impressions, surrounded by used up £50 notes and lots of contracts to tear up 😂 

Brilliant Batley!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, meast said:

But what a massive "Up yours" it would be to the likes of Featherstone and Leigh who have seemingly spent big to get their one season in super league.

A small, part time club with a fanbase of a few hundred and players probably playing for the love of it beating them both to the promised land.

You can imagine Campbell and Beaumont doing their best Baron Greenback impressions, surrounded by used up £50 notes and lots of contracts to tear up 😂 

Brilliant Batley!

You do come across as bitter, but I think I speak for most Fev fans when I say good luck to them, I’d be chuffed to bits if Batley went up. I’m not sure jealousy is quite as rife in Featherstone as in Huddersfield. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tubby said:

You do come across as bitter, but I think I speak for most Fev fans when I say good luck to them, I’d be chuffed to bits if Batley went up. I’m not sure jealousy is quite as rife in Featherstone as in Huddersfield. 

Bitter?

About what?/ Who? A team that can't get out of a part time league despite spending loads? Nope I've got no issue with any club, especially Featherstone or Batley or Leigh.

I just find it amusing that Leigh and Featherstone have both acted like big schools bullies and they've been brought down by a little un.

This season's championship was always about Leigh and Fev and who could buy the best or most players and yet Batley have ended up been the story.

Regardless of what happens next week, Batley are the story of the 2022 championship.

Good luck to them and Leigh next week 

Edited by meast

1 minute ago, meast said:

Bitter?

About what?/ Who? A team that can't get out of a part time league despite spending loads? Nope 

I just find it amusing that Leigh and Featherstone have both acted like big schools bullies and they've been brought down by a little un.

This season's championship was always about Leigh and Fev and who could buy the best or most players and yet Batley have ended up been the story.

Regardless of what happens next week, Batley are the story of the 2022 championship.

Bitter about Huddersfield’s place in the world of RL, projecting that bitterness onto fans of other clubs. Illustrated by your ‘up yours’ comment. I appreciate Ken spends plenty on his team and yet they continue to fail to manage to become champions. Try congratulating the victors, you’ll feel better for it. 

Featherstone have undoubtedly spent to try to achieve promotion; ambition shouldn’t be ridiculed. As far as I’m concerned, whichever championship team goes up will do so with my best wishes. We spent money, but chose the wrong coach. Such is life. 

Batley deserve to be in the final and many of us shook the hands of their supporters after the game. ‘Up yours’ is such a negative thought. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, meast said:

Bitter?

About what?/ Who? A team that can't get out of a part time league despite spending loads? Nope I've got no issue with any club, especially Featherstone or Batley or Leigh.

How exactly have Leigh been brought down? What an odd post, particularly from a Huddersfield fan, a team that has been consistently bankrolled above and beyond what they'd afford on their crowds by a great chairman. Why does it bother you so much that another team might do the same? 

• Thanks 1