Sun 25th Sept: Ch SF: Leigh Centurions v York City Knights KO 14:00 (Premier Sports)

Who will win?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leigh Centurions
    • York City Knights

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/09/22 at 13:30

Just back from the game. Thought York were virtually beaten before they started. The constant short kick offs and chip kicks early in a set we’re just an admission that they felt they needed to do something funky to compete, but they didn’t do any of the hard work.

Slightly better second half, but compare the two recent York performances at Leigh with the performance Widnes put in, you have to ask questions of the York coach. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Fevrover said:

It's only really when teams play Leigh it produces huge blowouts. Been some decent games this season.

I'm not knocking Leigh, they've done what they need to do, but the Championship should be purely part time league and funded as such. If teams can be more than that it seems pretty pointless them wasting time and money there.

As a part time league it can be exciting and vibrant in its own right. 

47 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

Can any York fan fill us in on who from there 1st choice 17 wasnt available today.

Off the top of my head

O hagan

Pauli

Matongo

Kirmond

Any others?

Hingano, Ellis, Will Oakes, Levi Edwards. 

Some others are out but I doubt would have figured today (Ollie Butterworth, Brad Ward). 

Kris Brining also retired during the season.  He was a big loss. 

I might have missed someone. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Just back from the game. Thought York were virtually beaten before they started. The constant short kick offs and chip kicks early in a set we’re just an admission that they felt they needed to do something funky to compete, but they didn’t do any of the hard work.

Slightly better second half, but compare the two recent York performances at Leigh with the performance Widnes put in, you have to ask questions of the York coach. 

Would rather have had York's season than Widnes'. 

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, phiggins said:

The same York coach who did the double over Widnes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Damien said:

I'm not knocking Leigh, they've done what they need to do, but the Championship should be purely part time league and funded as such. If teams can be more than that it seems pretty pointless them wasting time and money there.

And then the champions would have to build a fu time team during the off season, would not compete in Super League tye following year and everyone would complain about promotion and relegation. 

Leigh have a frightening team and deserve their success

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, gavin7094 said:

Hingano, Ellis, Will Oakes, Levi Edwards. 

Some others are out but I doubt would have figured today (Ollie Butterworth, Brad Ward). 

Kris Brining also retired during the season.  He was a big loss. 

I might have missed someone. 

Thanks. Totally forgot about Hingano.  Would Oaks and Edwards be in a 1st choice 17? Obviously Ellis wouldnt 

23 minutes ago, gavin7094 said:

And then the champions would have to build a fu time team during the off season, would not compete in Super League tye following year and everyone would complain about promotion and relegation. 

Leigh have a frightening team and deserve their success

I know, that is why the current structure doesn't work for anyone.

3 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

Can any York fan fill us in on who from there 1st choice 17 wasnt available today.

Off the top of my head

O hagan

Pauli

Matongo

Kirmond

Any others?

Oaks

Butterworth

O'Hagan

Ellis

Pauli

Matango

Kirmond

Hingano

Edwards

Brining (retired because of injuries)

Ward

2 hours ago, Damien said:

So you don't want Championship owners or clubs to have any ambition Damien, instead just shackle them and tell them they should know their place, seems a very insular view you have, "keep the bhuggers down"

• Like 2

Enjoyed my day at the LSV as always , York could not be faulted for effort , totally outclassed by a Leigh side that has really lit up the championship this season , normal service will be resumed in the champ next season with probably any of the top six being genuine contenders to get promoted .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Damien said:

I know, that is why the current structure doesn't work for anyone.

But are Leigh not looking like bucking the trend of not having some good players to make the transition to SL from the Championship, only time will tell and if their method works then they do overcome your inevitability it will prove it does work for some, it will then be up to others to follow suit.

Never mind this doesn't work for anyone, everthing in any discipline has been improved by some doing something different when doubters and neigh sayers tell everyone it won't work.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, georgeb1 said:

Enjoyed my day at the LSV as always , York could not be faulted for effort , totally outclassed by a Leigh side that has really lit up the championship this season , normal service will be resumed in the champ next season with probably any of the top six being genuine contenders to get promoted .

Totally agree George.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So you don't want Championship owners or clubs to have any ambition Damien, instead just shackle them and tell them they should know their place, seems a very insular view you have, "keep the bhuggers down"

Such a predictable response Harry. No I quite obviously didn't say any of that. It just all seems a little pointless to go through this charade with full time clubs and I'm not sure if anyone really benefits.

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

Such a predictable response Harry. No I quite obviously didn't say any of that. It just all seems a little pointless to go through this charade with full time clubs and I'm not sure if anyone really benefits.

I agree, the rest of the clubs only need to concentrate on avoiding relegation to L1 and it's pointless maxing out on their budgets just to hope to do well in the playoffs as the team that meeets Leigh have no realistic chance of going any further. The League has been won since day 1. 

3 hours ago, gavin7094 said:

Would rather have had York's season than Widnes'. 

I’d rather have York’s squads than Widnes’. But if I were a york fan, I’d have gone today just hoping for a bit of fight.

That 100-4 game was a freak day where the full time team had most things stick late in the game against a busted, depleted side. I had a lot of sympathy for them.

But today, the york team looked like they were looking for shortcuts once it got to 18-0. I just don’t think they gave themselves a chance to compete. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

People maybe saving cash for game that isnt a walkover. I don’t blame York fans for not paying to watch a foregone conclusion, I have watched enough. Another benefit of 14 team SL is we wouldn’t have one team buying the Champ every year. Hope Fev vs Batley is a better watch. 

Credit too the york fans that travelled cheered there team till the end, and also credit yo ghe leigh fans that applauded them for there 2 trys. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Ok i was wrong, it's only 64%, i am going on todays matchday squad by the way, 11 from the 17 we're overseas players.

how does 4 additional quota players translate to 64% of the squad having to leave exactly? Of the 24 players currently at the club, 12 are currently on deals for next year and beyond, with potentially another 1-3 retentions to be announced depending on the outcome of the application for Lachlan Lam to be quote exempt due to playing his junior rugby at Wigan St Pats. This idea Leigh are going to have to make wholesale changes is a myth perpetuated by fans too lazy to do the most basic due diligence and look who is/isn't contracted for next year.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

how does 4 additional quota players translate to 64% of the squad having to leave exactly? Of the 24 players currently at the club, 12 are currently on deals for next year and beyond, with potentially another 1-3 retentions to be announced depending on the outcome of the application for Lachlan Lam to be quote exempt due to playing his junior rugby at Wigan St Pats. This idea Leigh are going to have to make wholesale changes is a myth perpetuated by fans too lazy to do the most basic due diligence and look who is/isn't contracted for next year.

Played his junior Rugby at St Pats? When Adrian Lam left Wigan Lachlan Lam was 6. I'm fairly certain that St Pats didn't have even have kids teams at that sort of age back then.