Sat 24th Sept: SLGF: St Helens v Leeds Rhinos KO 18:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens by 13 points or more
    • St Helens by 7 to 12 points
    • St Helens by 1 to 6 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/09/22 at 17:30

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

Saints fans were saying theyd sold out on twitter, was half empty on the top tier

It is probably the biggest downside to a team consistently winning the competition. Complacency sets in amongst fans and it becomes less of a must see.

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

Quite poor the seeing as they are ‘the greatest ever side to play the game’ so were told 😉

It's not unusual for the GF to have empty seats in the upper tiers. The big difference tonight appeared to be in premium neutral seats. The lower bowl is normally at capacity. That suggests the cost of living crisis and the world cup comes into play. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It was probably Wane who was instrumental in Bateman being selected for the Knights, I would say there is a bit of a clue in that.

I don't think there was ever any doubt that Bateman was going to get picked in a squad of 24 and as such, for better or worse, his Knights selection makes complete sense.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Nate90 said:

We'll never attract new people to our sport if St Helens keeps winning

We may do if people tune in to watch the highlights tonight on the usual BBC1 Match of the Day slot or the Channel 4 highlights next week.  We couldn't have hoped for a better game.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

not a great game- a rag bag Leeds team beaten by a dad's army - that coach has made a name for himself at least and will prob do the rounds in sl for years to come over here 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

20 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Penrith have zero interest in this fixture

Is that because they have never wom it? - didn't they get hammered by Stuart Fielding all by himself the last time they played??🤣🤣

The Roosters by contrast love the WCC and love the fact they have won it more than any other team. Think that says more about Penrith than anything else.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Is that because they have never wom it? - didn't they get hammered by Stuart Fielding all by himself the last time they played??🤣🤣

The Roosters by contrast love the WCC and love the fact they have won it more than any other team. Think that says more about Penrith than anything else.

Might be. They still won't be interested.

7 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

The Guardian report concludes that this is the greatest team ever to play rugby league (I assume in the NH, given that I recall St George had a bit of a run a while ago…). 

It's good that Saints doing well isn't upsetting you in any way...

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Judging by the sparsity of one section of the ground tonight, neither will St Helens

Leeds lost, did they?

It's hard to tell.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

That was a high quality game. It was intense and ferocious but played in the right spirit. Saints' execution was on a different level but Leeds refusal to buckle and their ability to counter attack kept the game alive as a contest.

• Like 7

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

2 minutes ago, Ullman said:

That was a high quality game. It was intense and ferocious but played in the right spirit. Saints' execution was on a different level but Leeds refusal to buckle and their ability to counter attack kept the game alive as a contest.

Yes, and had Leeds a creative half-back combination..and a plan...the result would have been much closer. Credit Smith too, for getting Leeds to the GF in such a short time at the helm.

Saints win is on the front page of the BBC News site.  Not often Rugby League shifts over from sport to news (for a positive reason anyway).

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

32 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

The Guardian report concludes that this is the greatest team ever to play rugby league (I assume in the NH, given that I recall St George had a bit of a run a while ago…). 

I never used to to read the Guardian, I do now for it's comedy value. Sky and the Grauniad calling Saints the best RL team ever is absolutely conclusive proof that they aren't. 

• Confused 2

33 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Might be. They still won't be interested.

Yep - says more about the mentality of that club than anything else - if your assumptions are true.

They tried once, got well beaten so won't try again.... Great representation of the NRL - just hope they lose next week so we can truly see who is the best team in the world.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Yes, and had Leeds a creative half-back combination..and a plan...the result would have been much closer. Credit Smith too, for getting Leeds to the GF in such a short time at the helm.

Compare Smith’s approach to a failing Leeds team to that of Powell’s to a failing Warrington team

Leeds hung in in the first half but even after Hurrells try at the start of the second half I thought that killed the game as Saints were never going to give that lead up and Leeds just didn't offer enough in attack. Whoever takes over from Woolf just has to keep doing what they have been doing and doesn't have to change anything and I can't see anyone stopping them next year either.

3 minutes ago, Bostik Bailey said:

Compare Smith’s approach to a failing Leeds team to that of Powell’s to a failing Warrington team

You can't really judge until the end of next season as that is obviously what Powell is building towards, for better or worse.