Sat 24th Sept: SLGF: St Helens v Leeds Rhinos KO 18:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens by 13 points or more
    • St Helens by 7 to 12 points
    • St Helens by 1 to 6 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/09/22 at 17:30

4 hours ago, SalfordSlim said:

All of those above were dominant, not all were great. Take out Rangers/Celtic who play in effectively a pub league so they really don't deserve mentioning in the same breath.

At the end of the day people like to know they’re watching a very high standard of something in sport.

Wherever you might rank them, Saints of this era have a greatness through consistency that is being recognised in the wider sporting circle.

To even be having the comparisons being made with the great Wigan era of the 80’s/90’s is good for rugby league I feel as it will make more people check out the game.

I can also recognise that as a Salford fan at this time, where Saints are maybe standing in the way of winning trophies, it is annoying.  

When I was supporting Saints in that 80’s/90’s period it was hard to feel deferential to Wigan although it did make ‘climbing the mountain’ of that time feel even sweeter when victories and later trophies came.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Saints win and record was the first item on BBC Radio Five sports news at 6.30 this morning KO, which is good.

Saints and it's fans are also about to experience the same opprobrium that was heaped on Wigan during their period of domination.  

Is the ASBO about to replace the WDL?

(Anti-St Helens Brigade Organisation)

Edited by JohnM

9 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Game went as expected really. As has been said all season, the overall standard of the league hasn’t been great and I don’t think there’s ever been such a gulf between first and fifth.

Can't agree with this especially when Leeds only lost by two scores. Looking back, especially at the first decade or so of SL, there are some teams that would have been absolutely spanked finishing 5th by their table topping counterparts - that's if they even had got to Old Trafford.

Whilst Saints have a clinical edge - the league as a whole is a lot closer nowadays, although arguably overall quality has suffered. 

To be at the top for four years in a row is impressive whatever way you look at it. From Saints' POV you can only play the hand you're dealt and at the end of the day their name is in the record books as four time champs. That isn't just luck. Do they excite me as all time greats - no not really - but at the end of the day the record books say how good they are and that's that!

Really enjoyed the final, thought the atmosphere in the ground was too notch too.

Edited by Amber Avenger
  • Like 7

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Ultimately, a pretty comfortable win for Saints in the end last night. Pretty dominant for all but about 10-15 minutes, when momentum was with Leeds and when they scored at the death of the first half. 

I’ve not seen the game again, only a couple of highlights, so I won’t be drawn on micro-analysing tackle-by-tackle to say The RFL are corrupt, because that’s most likely to have happened on this place. 

The crowd felt quite big, I was shocked it was only 60,000, but it was quite full in the areas around me and to my left in the Stretford End. Shame there wasn’t a few thousand more but you can understand why there wasn’t with things going on at the minute plus the World Cup in a few weeks. 

What a special club this is. Four in a row. 

Edited by Jughead
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

At the end of the day people like to know they’re watching a very high standard of something in sport.

Wherever you might rank them, Saints of this era have a greatness through consistency that is being recognised in the wider sporting circle.

To even be having the comparisons being made with the great Wigan era of the 80’s/90’s is good for rugby league I feel as it will make more people check out the game.

I can also recognise that as a Salford fan at this time, where Saints are maybe standing in the way of winning trophies, it is annoying.  

When I was supporting Saints in that 80’s/90’s period it was hard to feel deferential to Wigan although it did make ‘climbing the mountain’ of that time feel even sweeter when victories and later trophies came.

Huh?🤔 I've said nothing about Saints not being a great team so not sure why you're bringing the fact that I'm a Salford fan into it.😂

I'm questioning why Rangers and Celtic are in that list for dominating a 2 team league where the other teams would struggle in L1 in England. The others mentioned are/were indeed great teams/individuals.

Edited by SalfordSlim

9 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Has Tommy Makinson being a right knob  at the end of the game been mentioned yet?

youve just won your 4th GF in a row, you have 25,000 saints fans at one end, yet he chooses to run to the Leeds fans and taunt them.

Classy.

All class all week from Saints, are you surprised?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Leeds and Saints both had absentees going into this match. But Leeds had more players out and less depth to replace them.

I thought before the match that Saints would need an off day to lose and they didn't have one. Lomax was masterful and Lees has stood up in Walmsley's absence.

I never felt worried during the game and thought we were comfortable. Thinking about it a bit more, it could have been closer. Saints scrambled to keep out Sutcliffe and Martin when they both would have scored against both defences. Leeds let in a really soft score to Hurrell. Little moments that kept a gap between the sides.

Leeds were dogged and never gave up. I do wonder if Hardaker at full back and Myler at scrum half was a better option though.

A nice touch by the likes of Rohan Smith and Blake Austin who applauded the Saints crowd as they left the field. Didn't go unnoticed.

This is unquestionably the most ruthless Saints side I've ever seen. If an opponent switches off or makes an error, it is usually punished. Sometimes that ruthlessness manifests itself in ways I don't like too.

We've been spoiled over the last 4 years and I hope our fans realise and don't take periods like these for granted.

Good summary mate, pretty much agree with every word. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Salford did themselves proud this year. Amazing rugby - we need a strong Salford and they look like they’ve turned a significant corner. Fingers and toes crossed re stadium…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pie tries said:

Salford did themselves proud this year. Amazing rugby - we need a strong Salford and they look like they’ve turned a significant corner. Fingers and toes crossed re stadium…

Agreed I don't really do second teams , but I like Salford 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

2 hours ago, Amber Avenger said:

Can't agree with this especially when Leeds only lost by two scores. Looking back, especially at the first decade or so of SL, there are some teams that would have been absolutely spanked finishing 5th by their table topping counterparts - that's if they even had got to Old Trafford.

In the first 12 years we never had a team from below 3rd get to the Grand Final because the play off system better rewarded league placings and was much more difficult for those finishing lower.

My observations.

Leeds had caught Bradford Bulls Syndrome ... never pass to your winger when there is an overlap.

I struggled to understand the Leeds formation. If Sezer was out, why not play Richie Myler at scrum half and Zak Hardaker at fullback ... both are internationals in the positions? Otherwise, play Brad Dwyer at scrum half.  Cameron Smith never looked up to the task he was landed with. Pity, because I thought Blake Austin was Leeds' best player. I thought Rhyse Martin was their best forward.

Both sides struggled with their footing on that pitch ... had the surface been hosed to death beforehand  like the football clubs do?

Saints had some good individual performances; especially from Jonny Lomax and Jack Welsby. Their defence was well marshalled and their attack was consistently efficient. The defensive effort was more impressive than the attack. No need to draw on the famous individual flair  when the chips are down, because the chips were never down.

A good game, but no better than "good".

• Like 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

1 hour ago, Pie tries said:

The stadium issue needs deciding soon or we'll no doubt see another mass of players being tempted elsewhere. Moor Lane isn't really a great option for a club that has done brilliantly on a shoestring and needs to kick on to that next level of consistency (unless you're Vastman and you think Salford are spending full cap 🤦‍♂️😂).

The squad needs to be strengthened around Croft for next season (he'll be back in the NRL after that) and we can't have a repeat of the 2021 season after our GF appearance where we got ripped apart and had to start again.

Edited by SalfordSlim

34 minutes ago, Damien said:

In the first 12 years we never had a team from below 3rd get to the Grand Final because the play off system better rewarded league placings and was much more difficult for those finishing lower.

No matter how many times you churn this line out it's still nonsense mate.

Saints needed to win 1 game at home (where they're almost unbeatable) against a team that,  having finished 6th, had already had to beat the team that finished 3rd away from home (similar rules applied to Leeds who finished 5th).

Saints had home advantage, were fresher and were clearly the best team in the comp so in a one off game this is more than enough of an advantage. I'm really not sure what else you want to give the top 3/4 teams in SL to protect the status quo at the top.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

Saints needed to win 1 game at home (where they're almost unbeatable) against a team that,  having finished 6th, had already had to beat the team that finished 3rd away from home (similar rules applied to Leeds who finished 5th).

Saints had home advantage, were fresher and were clearly the best team in the comp so in a one off game this is more than enough of an advantage. I'm really not sure what else you want to give the top 3/4 teams in SL to protect the status quo at the top.

No it's a fact. Your rambling reply does not change that.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

How can something factual be nonsense?

Under the top 5, a team finishing 5th had to win 3 sudden death knockout games againt teams above them, away from home, to reach the Grand Final and under this system a team finishing 5th have to win 2 sudden death knockout games, againt teams above them, away from home to win the Grand Final. 

The former is harder.  It really isn't disputable.

• Like 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, SalfordSlim said:

Huh?🤔 I've said nothing about Saints not being a great team so not sure why you're bringing the fact that I'm a Salford fan into it.😂

I'm questioning why Rangers and Celtic are in that list for dominating a 2 team league where the other teams would struggle in L1 in England. The others mentioned are/were indeed great teams/individuals.

Keep your shirt on.

11 hours ago, Chris22 said:

A nice touch by the likes of Rohan Smith and Blake Austin who applauded the Saints crowd as they left the field. Didn't go unnoticed.

Unlike Tommy Makinson who was goading the Leeds fans at the end, unsavoury to say the least.

8 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

How can something factual be nonsense?

Under the top 5, a team finishing 5th had to win 3 sudden death knockout games againt teams above them, away from home, to reach the Grand Final and under this system a team finishing 5th have to win 2 sudden death knockout games, againt teams above them, away from home to win the Grand Final. 

The former is harder.  It really isn't disputable.

I think he meant it is easier for the first and second placed teams. Instead of a tough game against each other, and then a further one for the loser a week later, they only need to win a home game now. 

1 minute ago, Niels said:

I think he meant it is easier for the first and second placed teams. Instead of a tough game against each other, and then a further one for the loser a week later, they only need to win a home game now. 

Maybe.  But having a second chance is surely an advantage as well?

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Has Tommy Makinson being a right knob  at the end of the game been mentioned yet?

youve just won your 4th GF in a row, you have 25,000 saints fans at one end, yet he chooses to run to the Leeds fans and taunt them.

Classy.

Has it been mentioned about the three bottles launched at Saints players too?

Classy.

46 minutes ago, SalfordSlim said:

It isn’t just about 1st v 6th but each individual place in the top five playoffs got a slight advantage over the team below them. In this top 6 system there is no real difference between finishing 5th and 6th. Nor is there much difference between 3rd and 4th or 1st and 2nd.