Sat 24th Sept: SLGF: St Helens v Leeds Rhinos KO 18:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens by 13 points or more
    • St Helens by 7 to 12 points
    • St Helens by 1 to 6 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/09/22 at 17:30

1 minute ago, Action Man said:

Was that the Wigan side of the 80's who were all professional whilst all the other teams were part timers. Saints are easily the most successful club in the Super league era!

1st post, with this username anyhow, and repeating the same tired old myths. No it wouldn't be that Wigan side because the Wigan side in the 80s certainly weren't all professional.

13 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

It’s a coping mechanism. 

It's just a really weird view because it overlooks just how great Widnes were and what great players they had. I would view Wigans 1989-90 Championship win as the 90s so Wigan actually only won the league once in the 80s anyway, in 1986-87. When it comes to great teams that Widnes team of the late 80s is up there with any.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Damien said:

1st post, with this username anyhow, and repeating the same tired old myths. No it wouldn't be that Wigan side because the Wigan side in the 80s certainly weren't all professional.

Everyone has to make a first post even you!...To say that Wigan didn't have an unfair advantage in the 80's and early 90's shows a lack of education. And to question the FACT that Saints have been the most consistent and successful side in the Super League era also shows a lack of education.

9 times Grand Final Winners

10 times Super League Winners.

All factual content!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Action Man said:

Everyone has to make a first post even you!...To say that Wigan didn't have an unfair advantage in the 80's and early 90's shows a lack of education. And to question the FACT that Saints have been the most consistent and successful side in the Super League era also shows a lack of education.

9 times Grand Final Winners

10 times Super League Winners.

All factual content!

They didn't have an unfair advantage though, that is ludicrous. They weren't even the most successful side of the 80s and weren't fully professional in the 80s either. At least try and get some facts right.

I never mentioned Saints to even question anything about them. Bizarre.

4 hours ago, Josef K said:

Bloody hell dkw i didn’t know NME had a station, i’ll have to try and get that on DAB. When i know Craig Charles or other DJ’s come on playing dance stuff i switch off. 

It's an excellent channel, if you like indie music, 80's and 90's stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Action Man said:

Was that the Wigan side of the 80's who were all professional whilst all the other teams were part timers. Saints are easily the most successful club in the Super league era!

I agree with second sentence - and the scale of their success is an absolutely damning indictment on the efforts from the other clubs, Wigan included, who have not been intelligent enough or worked hard enough.

As to your first sentence, that’s not true, but it is often stated as fact because let’s face it, with my WDL helmet on, if Wigan did something it must be wrong. 

May I suggest you start a thread called Why Saints are the Best Ever Team, and post on it every day, so it stays on the first page? Tbh, I’m surprised fearthevee and Saint Toppy haven’t already done so…

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, north yorks trinity said:

You said that Leeds name was dragged into the gutter and I wondered where you thought it started from. It was an off the cuff late night attempt at humour. Probably not that funny and wasn't meant seriously anyway.

I thought it was a funny joke. 

• Like 1

I haven’t read any of the comments about the game yet and ive yet to rewatch it but my thoughts. 
Leeds really gave Saints a match, i don’t think they could’ve give anymore than they did. I do feel they have a chance of winning something next season if they can remain injury free in their spine. Everyone sees a game differently but Blake Austin & Hardaker were fantastic for Leeds. 

As like most people Lomax was my MoM, but also Sironen, Bennison had cracking games. But i have to give a special mention to Hopoate, he may have only walked or jogged for most of the match but his try saving tackle on Martin (i think it was) stopped a certain try. The two Leeds tries were crackers especially the first one. 
I have never had a bad spec at OT, but the constant going to the bar every 5mins by some fans is a ball ache. 
The Saints fan who ran on the pitch what a fool i am hoping he gets a fine and is banned from every RL ground. That also goes to the Leeds fans who threw bottles at Makinson at FT, i hope they are dealt with but i always get the feeling because it’s RL the pitch-invading, bottle throwing fans get away lightly as “RL IS A FAMILY GAME”. 
Finally Liam Moore he officiated the match really well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Action Man said:

Well said   
Saints success is no accident and unlike that Wigan team not based on a financial advantage or poaching other teams star players 

- Great committed chairman with a business brain

- fantastic academy production line

- own own stadium and generate year round income from it

- able to spot potential in the championship 

- able to spot and sign underperforming or out of favour players and give them a second chance

- fantastic culture and players obviously happy

- letting players go at the right time

- a real connection with the local community and even big name superstars knowing they are a part of something 

Over the years Saints have developed this and I would not bet against it being 5 in a row next year

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, headtackle said:

Well said   
Saints success is no accident and unlike that Wigan team not based on a financial advantage or poaching other teams star players 

- able to spot and sign underperforming or out of favour players and give them a second chance

- a real connection with the local community and even big name superstars knowing they are a part of something 

Over the years Saints have developed this and I would not bet against it being 5 in a row next year

Odd you have a bash at Wigan then list things that make Saints successful, things that the Wigan team you loathe also had.

3 hours ago, headtackle said:

Well said   

Great post. This should be the objective of every club…

On 24/09/2022 at 19:09, JohnM said:

Its half time. Maybe they are in the bar or the bog.

I hope they wasn’t buying the PG Tips tea, it was ###### from the men’s bogs mixed with dandruff brushed up from the concourse used as a substitute for powdered milk. UTD are worth billions yet they don’t even have any UHT, keep away from the tea it’s abdominal. 

On 24/09/2022 at 19:55, SalfordSlim said:

He's a cheating ###### that fella. When Salford had Saints under the pump last week, him and his sidekick water carrier came onto the pitch, threw a couple of water bottles on the pitch about 10 yards away from where they were treating an "injured" player and then wasted another 10 seconds or so to allow Saints to regroup while they went and collected said water bottles that were serving no other purpose than to halt the game.

Another one of Saints "clever" gamesmanship ploys.

🏆🏆🏆🏆

On 24/09/2022 at 20:28, SalfordSlim said:

Sorry forgot to quote the poster who the bald fella handing out the medals was.

It's Fred Done.... the self-proclaimed Mr Salford who's a bit of a coxxwomble.

Edit: No I did indeed quote the poster looking back so I retract the apology.😁

Is he a Salford lad SS ?. You’d have thought if he had an interest in RL, Salford would be a club he’d show an interest in. How rich is he ?. 

On 25/09/2022 at 12:07, Loiner said:

Unlike Tommy Makinson who was goading the Leeds fans at the end, unsavoury to say the least.

Makinson didn’t break any law the 80mins wasn’t up. What was wrong was the Leeds fans throwing bottles at him.
When Leeds scored their first try right in front of were i was sat, a few of their players turned to the Saints fans, and started celebrating, whooping. Not for one second did i think “they are goading me, and because of that i have the right to throw a bottle at them”. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Josef K said:

Makinson didn’t break any law the 80mins wasn’t up. What was wrong was the Leeds fans throwing bottles at him.
When Leeds scored their first try right in front of were i was sat, a few of their players turned to the Saints fans, and started celebrating, whooping. Not for one second did i think “they are goading me, and because of that i have the right to throw a bottle at them”. 

Its quite possible to think Tommy Makinson acted like a bit of knob and think that the Leeds fans were out of order, they aren't mutually exclusive.

• Like 2