Leigh in the semi

georgeb1

10 minutes ago, Acasterknight said:

I am not saying spend heavily, I am saying spend prudently. Jacob Ogden offers nothing to the side and we have him for another season. Sam Davis didn't get a chance and was shipped off to London, where he was so bad they give him a contract.

I guess your in the know. You know how and if he trains and his attitude to buying into systems

• Like 2

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

2 hours ago, Acasterknight said:

I really don't understand it, every time we sign one of this year's squad, everyone applauds. If we are to improve the side we need to bring better talent into the side, not the same players who have spent half this season injured.

I think the players we have resigned for next season have all had good seasons and are worthy of new contracts,but i do agree Ogden has done nothing this season but have him again next season .certainly we need to bring in more size up top as we do lack size and power apart from 2P .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonT said:

Unless we find an arab sheikh to fund us it'll be evolution not revolution. I'm sure there will be changes though. Blooming hope so anyway 😆

We don't have an Arab Sheikh you're right.We have an invisible chairman who can't even publicly praise the lads for getting this far.I know we have mentioned him in a previous topic but he still isn't coming forward to interact with the fans and give us an idea if his plans are still moving forward

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wiggyroad said:

We don't have an Arab Sheikh you're right.We have an invisible chairman who can't even publicly praise the lads for getting this far.I know we have mentioned him in a previous topic but he still isn't coming forward to interact with the fans and give us an idea if his plans are still moving forward

Perhaps you could buy him out and then you could tell us all what’s happening 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

53 minutes ago, Wiggyroad said:

Yes, i agree we could do with hearing more from Clint. There does seem to be far less communication between club and fans than there was under Jon. However, for the sake of balance, we have seen players being signed on longer term contracts rather than just another year which is a good sign of longer term planning and commitment. 

TBH - i would say that now the pressure is on Fordy to deliver a 2023 even better than 2022 (I know, I know....let's let the dust settle on this fantastic year's achievements) as he will be the one deciding who to retain for 2023 and beyond.

But let's enjoy what we've done this year first. Playoffs are what most of us hoped for, i imagine, and to go further than we've ever gone before is a fantastic bonus, IMO.

Edited by JonT
  • Like 3

I was there today, I liked how we followed on from recent weeks by playing entertaining stuff going forward. I really hope we follow on with that style next season.

Defence was poor and some players just couldn’t match Leigh physically. Credit to Marsh who was a cut above, thought Thompson and Antrobus had good games too.

I wasn’t at the 100-4 game so won’t compare too much but at 58-0 after 54 minutes today it looked like the score line might get near that. As it was the players dug in a bit. And no, that’s not me saying I’m happy with today’s defeat. Well played Leigh, I think Batley might push them for a bit but Leigh are near certs for promotion. 

With Clint I think he needs to be more vocal, maybe we got too used to Flatman being in the Press most weeks. I will say communication needs work and would like us to push things a bit more with matchdays, they need to become events and we need to make the LNER feel like a home ground on match days (more branding, flags etc) as to me it feels like we are merely tenants. 

Overall a good season with a strong ending before today’s inevitable heavy defeat. That’s our second best ever championship season finishing on 36 points compared to 39 points back in that great 2019 season. First playoff win too.

Going into 2023, we need more forwards and I’d like us to retain Inman, if not then another hooker because things work better giving Jubb a break during matches. 

Edited by AB Knight
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

I was there today, I liked how we followed on from recent weeks by playing entertaining stuff going forward. I really hope we follow on with that style next season.

Defence was poor and some players just couldn’t match Leigh physically. Credit to Marsh who was a cut above, thought Thompson and Antrobus had good games too.

I wasn’t at the 100-4 game so won’t compare too much but at 58-0 after 54 minutes today it looked like the score line might get near that. As it was the players dug in a bit. And no, that’s not me saying I’m happy with today’s defeat. Well played Leigh, I think Batley might push them for a bit but Leigh are near certs for promotion. 

With Clint I think he needs to be more vocal, maybe we got too used to Flatman being in the Press most weeks. I will say communication needs work and would like us to push things a bit more with matchdays, they need to become events and we need to make the LNER feel like a home ground on match days (more branding, flags etc) as to me it feels like we are merely tenants. 

Overall a good season with a strong ending before today’s inevitable heavy defeat. That’s our second best ever championship season finishing on 36 points compared to 39 points back in that great 2019 season. First playoff win too.

Going into 2023, we need more forwards and I’d like us to retain Inman, if not then another hooker because things work better giving Jubb a break during matches. 

Definitely need another hooker. Hope we've been reporting back to Warrington just how ###### Inman has been 😉

York have had a better season than last year and last weeks’ result was tremendous. Let’s not forget that we’ve seen some turgid, boring downright poor rl at times. Plus Bradford, Sheffield, London and Widnes have all goes backwards and  Workington and Dewsbury were whipping boys. Barrow did well and real credit to Batley but I’d hardly say sixth is incredible given the state of other teams. As for the squad - we’ll lose Edwards and maybe Michael so I really hope Ford has some Thompson-quality signings in the pipeline otherwise we’ll be struggling for 6th again. As for our Chairman, I think I’ve probably got more money than him. And I don’t have his dubious “record” either. Unfortunately I don’t have a spare £2-3M which is what it will take to get out of this League. All Leigh have done is buy a team, not grown one.  Like a lottery winner splurging on a range of super cars pretending they’ve earned them.

• Like 1

I'll disagree to some extent there Fax Knight. At the start of the season every team had one aim, to qualify for the play offs. We achieved that, even though at times we were not playing well, and at the end of the season, we have achieved exactly the same as Fev have, on probably half of their budget. I would also guess that Fax, Bradford and Widnes would happily have swapped places with us today.

However, I believe we have to make some significant signings to improve the squad just to hang on to a top 6 place next season. Toulouse will replace Leigh, Keighley have invested heavily ahead of their return to the Championship, and it is hard to believe that Widnes and Bradford won't be strengthening their teams as well.  Let us all hope we make the signings we need, and once again make the play offs, and give the supporters a bit more to cheer about.

• Like 3

A great season despite the result! Leigh a class above! Still Play off semi finalist! 

On wards to next season. I think we are doing right thing signing a lot of this season players back on (even though one is injury prone,  but as we know he has the potential to be awesome- so worth the risk in my opinion with the back up we have in that position) as we normally make too many changes and hopefully we add the extra quality we need. 

• Like 3

We did well to get where we did so congrats to Fordy. However, as well know, a lot of this season's rugby was dour and uninviting. Fordy says: 'Forwards win games and back decide by how many'  and he seems to feel that our missing link is the Horne role, but sometimes I feel we miss the fluidity of Ben Cockayne more. In other words, perhaps he should rethink his attitude to the backs.  Whenever our backs pass and move sweetly then we seem to win. But what do I know?! I enjoy championship rugby a lot and don't crave the super league, but with the changes coming...

• Like 4

11 hours ago, HaxbyKnight said:

I'll disagree to some extent there Fax Knight. At the start of the season every team had one aim, to qualify for the play offs. We achieved that, even though at times we were not playing well, and at the end of the season, we have achieved exactly the same as Fev have, on probably half of their budget. I would also guess that Fax, Bradford and Widnes would happily have swapped places with us today.

However, I believe we have to make some significant signings to improve the squad just to hang on to a top 6 place next season. Toulouse will replace Leigh, Keighley have invested heavily ahead of their return to the Championship, and it is hard to believe that Widnes and Bradford won't be strengthening their teams as well.  Let us all hope we make the signings we need, and once again make the play offs, and give the supporters a bit more to cheer about.

Bradford seem to losing players and don't the club still owe RFL money so can't see Bradford improving on this season position,Keighley seem to be a club on the up like ourselves when we won league one,and are going to be the surprise team next season,but it's all about the knights bringing in better players in than this season and maybe having a bigger squad so we can rest players through out the season which we haven't been able to do this season.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Fax Knight said:

York have had a better season than last year and last weeks’ result was tremendous. Let’s not forget that we’ve seen some turgid, boring downright poor rl at times. Plus Bradford, Sheffield, London and Widnes have all goes backwards and  Workington and Dewsbury were whipping boys. Barrow did well and real credit to Batley but I’d hardly say sixth is incredible given the state of other teams. As for the squad - we’ll lose Edwards and maybe Michael so I really hope Ford has some Thompson-quality signings in the pipeline otherwise we’ll be struggling for 6th again. As for our Chairman, I think I’ve probably got more money than him. And I don’t have his dubious “record” either. Unfortunately I don’t have a spare £2-3M which is what it will take to get out of this League. All Leigh have done is buy a team, not grown one.  Like a lottery winner splurging on a range of super cars pretending they’ve earned them.

Thats quite a rant. So do you want the Knights to grow and develop a squad organically, or do you want to spend £Nm on a squad of superstars? Because reading that it sounds like you'd be fuming with either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 25/09/2022 at 18:45, JonT said:

Yes, i agree we could do with hearing more from Clint. There does seem to be far less communication between club and fans than there was under Jon. However, for the sake of balance, we have seen players being signed on longer term contracts rather than just another year which is a good sign of longer term planning and commitment. 

With regards to Clint, I'm sure other members who were regulars in hospitality this year will back me up in that Clint at the start of the year would say two or three words and pass the mic as soon as he could, but then towards the end of the season he seemed to be much more comfortable talking to the room and would even crack a few jokes while interviewing players. 

This is his first off season as Chairman and already he's tied a number of our better performers down on 2/3 year deals, and there's reports of the club signing one of the best hookers in the competition below the NRL to partner Will Jubb.

We got as far as Fev did. Our Ladies won major silverware and our commercial and foundation departments continue to grow, and Joe continues to put out great media content.

We're going ok.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

With regards to Clint, I'm sure other members who were regulars in hospitality this year will back me up in that Clint at the start of the year would say two or three words and pass the mic as soon as he could, but then towards the end of the season he seemed to be much more comfortable talking to the room and would even crack a few jokes while interviewing players. 

This is his first off season as Chairman and already he's tied a number of our better performers down on 2/3 year deals, and there's reports of the club signing one of the best hookers in the competition below the NRL to partner Will Jubb.

We got as far as Fev did. Our Ladies won major silverware and our commercial and foundation departments continue to grow, and Joe continues to put out great media content.

We're going ok.

Thanks Gav. That is genuinely really good to hear. Now if you could just persuade him to toss the odd press release to us proles who can't afford the membership that'd be much appreciated 👍 

But yes you are 100% right. This is a club going in the right direction and it is a pleasure and privilege to be a supporter right now.

• Like 4