Bevan French

Damien

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Bevan French signs a new 2 year deal to stay at Wigan. I'm really shocked, but delighted, as I was resigned to him leaving:

great news- SL has to retain top talent and stars to remain marketable - well done Wigan 

• Like 6

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Excellent news! Retaining him was never a certainty, but he's a proper bums-on-seats player when the rest of the team's playing well enough to let him and Field do their thing.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Excellent news! Retaining him was never a certainty, but he's a proper bums-on-seats player when the rest of the team's playing well enough to let him and Field do their thing.

I was 100% convinced he was gone. I thought he would return to the NRL and/or would be wanting to go somewhere where he could play in his preferred full back position. He obviously loves the club and I dare say the success of his double act with Field was a big part of him staying.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Not sure how much they have gave him but must be a very good deal (probably not as much as wire pay Williams)-  but shows some SL clubs can still compete with the NRL for the right player.

French wasn't a marquee player when he came but I suspect he may have become one now. It would be big money though for a winger and not a half or full back so who knows.

35 minutes ago, Damien said:

French wasn't a marquee player when he came but I suspect he may have become one now. It would be big money though for a winger and not a half or full back so who knows.

Another uninjured season for Wigan and he can name his price. The smart NRL clubs know what they are looking for.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Not sure how much they have gave him but must be a very good deal (probably not as much as wire pay Williams)-  but shows some SL clubs can still compete with the NRL for the right player.

Bateman is marquee too right? Fitting French Field & Bateman in is almost Wire-esque 😉

Pleased he's staying in SL, he's an exciting player to watch.

13 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

The rumour in Leigh was the offer given to French was 7 figures for 3 years, sponsored by a certain race horse owner.

As for Wire I doubt that William's was on more than Widdup.

It’s nice to see a player recognise that their style may be more suited to a certain completion, and guarantee them a better career. I have a feeling that had he chased the NRL dream, he wouldn’t really stand out as a talent like he can here.

• Like 1

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

The rumour in Leigh was the offer given to French was 7 figures for 3 years, sponsored by a certain race horse owner.

As for Wire I doubt that William's was on more than Widdup.

I'm not sure about Widdop but didn't Wigan offer Williams the "biggest deal" in their SL years? - they were paying Tomkins about £350,000 a year 10 years ago so Williams must be on a lot more than that.

On 20/09/2022 at 21:27, bobbruce said:

Come on Sweatys been claiming he’s about to sign for Leigh for weeks he’s just sulking. 

I was aware of our offer, which was substantial enough to get the Wigan management whingeing, but my comment is valid - Wiggin havent been making profits and whatever extra he has got will have to come from somewhere - which will be the kids who are now rightfully demanding to be paid for the adult job they now do. So the stupidity of the cap could end up losing the best producer of young talent the talent it has worked hard to create - McConnell already gone to Leeds and I would love to see Halsall and O'Brien at Leigh when the bidding starts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, sweaty craiq said:

I was aware of our offer, which was substantial enough to get the Wigan management whingeing, but my comment is valid - Wiggin havent been making profits and whatever extra he has got will have to come from somewhere - which will be the kids who are now rightfully demanding to be paid for the adult job they now do. So the stupidity of the cap could end up losing the best producer of young talent the talent it has worked hard to create - McConnell already gone to Leeds and I would love to see Halsall and O'Brien at Leigh when the bidding starts.

That’s the game has been for a long time making the right decision on these are a massive part of being successful.