Levelling up - Odsal

34 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Okay, I'll make it clearer.

This would not be an impressive state of the art facility at that price.

It would be a joke of a 'stadium' done on the cheap.

Listen Ging' let me clarify?

At this stage, what you might get and how much it will cost is all in the realm of ''ball park figures''.

Estimating, especially for large projects, is an iterative process, (not that I expect you to know that) and first estimates might be plus or minus 50-75% of the final cost/specification.

They are rough guesses designed to test the stakeholders willingness to engage in meaningful conversations.

It's not until much later in the process, that the structural details and the available budget and financial cost estimates are honed down to plus or minus 5 or 10%.

So what's been claimed (and dreamed of) at this stage is likely to be very different from the final outcome.

Nothing new there, (in the real world), my carrot-topped friend. 

What I'm drawing attention to is, the tendency amongst our so called ''supporters'' to enter the fray at the outset (at this early stage) intent on ridiculing the ambition, mocking the imagination of the people involved on the basis that ''it'll never happen in RL'' because at the bottom of it all, ''we simply don't deserve it'' and ''no-one in their right minds would spend money on something like this, for Rugby League'' and anyone who thinks they can bring it about is a fool and is wasting everyone's time.

I abhor that attitude, it reeks of envy and does violence to the best, brightest and most imaginative, highest achievers amongst us.

Knockers of this ilk, are legion and never achieve anything of note because they simply don't have the courage or creativity to even imagine what might be, let alone commit the time and effort to achieving anything worthwhile.

So folks, if your looking for a prophet, to help you predict the future, I'd advise you look elsewhere. 

Edited by fighting irish
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Pie tries said:

Cardiff is 80k stadium, this is 25k.. plus everything cheaper up north !

25 years ago and south Wales isn't known for being costly - even Cardiff.

• Confused 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

20 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

I appreciate the comments from the RL community, but believe me when i say, absolutely no one in Bradford thinks theres a cat in hells chance of this happening. 

Phew I am glad people are being adult for this then.

There is nothing wrong with the aspirational plan for this. 

The problem is the excessive hype from the club and its obvious media facilitators.  

Such a venue would not be a massive economic game changer for Bradford, it would costs far more if as depicted. The funding streams suggested are not as flexible as maintained.

It would be significant in a smaller sense though. Such roofed venues are littered all across Germany, mostly for handball. They work well when attached or working in conjunction with health or fitness.

But I think a new Odsal would find RL to be only a part of a schedule that would embrace, pop concerts, melas, trade shows, etc. 

Best of luck

39 minutes ago, Pie tries said:

Cardiff is 80k stadium, this is 25k.. plus everything cheaper up north !

I'd rather spend £100m bailing out Salford, buying the AJB and developing that over time into a National Rugby League Stadium.

I wouldn't give Bulls the time of day.

Handy announcement though - should catch the eyes of IMG.

Pie in the sky!

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/09/2022 at 19:13, gingerjon said:

25 years ago and south Wales isn't known for being costly - even Cardiff.

Can't agree, I'm afraid. I know a couple of blokes who work in Bute town and bought houses in Newport because the equivalent ones in Cardiff were up to 100,000 quid dearer.

All of South East Wales is affected by the closure of tolls on the Severn Bridge. Bristolians are buying properties all over Gwent, even up the valleys

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

On 21/09/2022 at 19:23, dboy said:

I'd rather spend £100m bailing out Salford, buying the AJB and developing that over time into a National Rugby League Stadium.

I wouldn't give Bulls the time of day.

Handy announcement though - should catch the eyes of IMG.

Pie in the sky!

Are you Marwan Koukash??🤔

On 21/09/2022 at 20:15, paul hicks said:

if it's costing wakey 10 million plus to tart up their small ground then tarting up odslum  and its wastes will be a tad more expensive

Yes correct ,Wakey are basically building a main stand which holds 2400, albeit it has quite a bit extra in there. There is some other stuff also but that is taking the bulk of the project costs. Lets also not forget ,it was quoted and contracted several months ago. At todays rates it would be quite a bit more.

12 minutes ago, Live after death said:

If only there was some sort of European regeneration funding previously available, instead of waiting for government red tape!!!!!

The owners/operators of Odsal had from 1975 to 2020 to take advantage of such funding (if they were eligible) - I'm not sure if they were or if they tried to, but I imagine there would have been a certain amount of red tape involved and they couldn't just turn up in Brussels with a load of wheelbarrows to carry the free cash that was being handed out!

It's just a different roll of red tape in a different location.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

The owners/operators of Odsal had from 1975 to 2020 to take advantage of such funding (if they were eligible) - I'm not sure if they were or if they tried to, but I imagine there would have been a certain amount of red tape involved and they couldn't just turn up in Brussels with a load of wheelbarrows to carry the free cash that was being handed out!

It's just a different roll of red tape in a different location.

It was more a dig at the governments “levelling up funds” like it’s something new and “brexit winning”  rather than the fact regeneration funds have been available for a long time, if Bradford council /bulls had had applied 15-20 years ago would have been done by now.

I dont know that much about the finer points on the needs of Bradford. However from what i see it has many problems over the whole social spectrum. It must be lacking funding in so many  areas and when there is a chance of a pay out ,it picks Odsal as a priority.

We all love our sport of rugby league and other sport in general , but politically I really dont see how this project could be justified as a public spending priority in these difficult times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Agbrigg said:

I dont know that much about the finer points on the needs of Bradford. However from what i see it has many problems over the whole social spectrum. It must be lacking funding in so many  areas and when there is a chance of a pay out ,it picks Odsal as a priority.

We all love our sport of rugby league and other sport in general , but politically I really dont see how this project could be justified as a public spending priority in these difficult times.

I'm not sure what the other elements are, but I'm pretty sure Odsal is just part of Bradford's bid for these funds.

However, you could still be right that there are things missing out that could be bigger priorities.

• Like 1

Bradford is an absolute dump. Odsal is just a reflection of most of the city. The council have no intention of supporting sport. There are far more 'important' priorities within the community of this once fine city. That's not negative, it's what's going on and is reality, unfortunately. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Rugby League took funding away from the Bulls Academy and volunteers are keeping it going. It's trying to find £60,000 from sponsors for next season. The council could find that money in a breath.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

10 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

Which is why they seem to have shoehorned in community use and using it as an entertainment venue for economic benefits.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)