Matt Peet coach of the year

I've moaned once or twice on here about the fact Warrington never ever win any of these awards, but on this occasion I'm prepared to accept Peet has probably outperformed Powell this year.

• Haha 10

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

3 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Not sure why he's won it, Rowley for me

Taking a team playing rugby as interesting as watching paint dry under Adrian Lam last year into the top tryscorers this year winning the Challenge Cup and 2nd in the regular season is a very decent year.

Rowley and Watson would both also have been worthy winners of the award.

• Like 4

He's done a great job and has transformed the playing style from the boring Lam years. Saints being Champions the last couple of years probably went against Woolf. Rowley has done a damn fine job under far more constraints than Peet or Woolf but ultimately only finished 6th and won nothing.

Again though it seems daft to do this before the Grand Final. I think at this moment in time there could have been strong cases for all three.

• Like 5

I think it’s those very restraints on Rowley that would have made him a more deserving winner. That said, Peet deserves a lot of credit for the improvement in Wigan and the fact he’s done it in his first season as a head coach.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

17 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I've moaned once or twice on here about the fact Warrington never ever win any of these awards, but on this occasion I'm prepared to accept Peet has probably outperformed Powell this year.

It’s a tough one I’ve certainly enjoyed watching Powells team more this year. 

• Haha 7

25 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Not sure why he's won it, Rowley for me

There have been some good contenders this season. Paul Rowley and Rohan Smith would also have been worthy winners.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Peet is a class act, I will hold my hands up and admit that I said Wigan had just gone for the cheap option, I was wrong, they obviously saw him as a real asset.

• Like 8

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Not sure about Peet deserving this award TBH. Wigan won the Challenge Cup, but other than that he hasn't won anything.

He has access to one of, if not the biggest playing budget in the British game, probably the biggest budget in terms of youth development, and an army of highly talented and experienced backroom staff/advisors in Wane, Briers, Radlinski and O'Loughlin. Just how much of the decision making has been made by him could be debatable.

2 of Wigan's big spending rivals, (Warrington and Leeds) have had relatively poor regular seasons, making the LLS pretty much a 2 horse race in which Wigan came 2nd. He has not made the GF either, is this really an achievement worthy of coach of the year? I'm not convinced.

• Like 1

😄 Watson or Rowley would have a street, statue and a stand named after themselves if they had done that at Salford.

7 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

Not sure about Peet deserving this award TBH. Wigan won the Challenge Cup, but other than that he hasn't won anything.

Edited by idrewthehaggis

Find it a shame that Woolf’s never won it, though there’s been a couple of worthy winners. I’d have liked Woolf to win it, as an acknowledgment of Saints’ ability to win despite injuries and suspensions, though admittedly the rugby hasn’t been as aesthetically pleasing as last year, for example. 

Peet’s done a great job, though, and they’ll only continue to improve as a side under him. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Padge said:

Peet is a class act, I will hold my hands up and admit that I said Wigan had just gone for the cheap option, I was wrong, they obviously saw him as a real asset.

I've said that twice about Salford, Watson and Rowley and been proved wrong each time. 

I suppose Lam proved that a coach can make a difference even with every advantage.

32 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

😄 Watson or Rowley would have a street, statue and a stand named after themselves if they had done that at Salford.

True, but they'd have done it on a lot less money and resources than Peet has had at his disposal. 

Had they not won the Challenge Cup, would he have been out of a job? Is finishing 2nd in a 2 horse race in the league, and failing to reach the GF good enough to say he has had a successful season?

Woolf at Saints has been battered by injuries throughout the season, he has won the LLS and has reached the GF.

I'm not saying he hasn't had a decent first season, but, better than Woolf, Watson and Rowley's season? I think all 3 could probably have won it before him for differing reasons.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

True, but they'd have done it on a lot less money and resources than Peet has had at his disposal. 

Had they not won the Challenge Cup, would he have been out of a job? Is finishing 2nd in a 2 horse race in the league, and failing to reach the GF good enough to say he has had a successful season?

Woolf at Saints has been battered by injuries throughout the season, he has won the LLS and has reached the GF.

I'm not saying he hasn't had a decent first season, but, better than Woolf, Watson and Rowley's season? I think all 3 could probably have won it before him for differing reasons.

I’m not a Wigan fan, far from it, but Wigan of 2022 are unrecognisable from the Wigan of 2021 that Lam had and there’s been quite clear development made within that team, so he absolutely would have a job in 2023 had Wigan gone trophyless in 2022. 

39 minutes ago, Cw25 said:

Saints coach for me. Because they are always the best, They seem to miss out on these individual awards.

Yea just heard mcmanus has just put an appeal in to have the decision overturned and it’s going to be awarded to Woolf gonna be awarded it it a few days

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Cw25 said:

Saints coach for me. Because they are always the best, They seem to miss out on these individual awards.

Isn't that the problem though? The coach walks into a great set up, with a settled team and maintains performance. What extra has Woolf added? 

I can clearly see the difference between Lam's Wigan to Peet's Wigan. I can see Peet's impact.

Same can be said at Salford, picking up the team after the mess left by Marshall. All achieved with a limited budget and having to rebuild a squad every year. 

I think the really impressive thing about Peet isn't the improvement in results but the way he's totally overhauled their style. Great attractive flowing rugby, and very little of the niggle and sh*thousery that might have been associated with Wigan teams in the not too distant past. Admittedly it helps when you've got a couple of excitement machines at your disposal in Field and French, but still, hats off to him because this team is unrecognisable from the team Lam coached.

Edited by MZH
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

Isn't that the problem though? The coach walks into a great set up, with a settled team and maintains performance. What extra has Woolf added? 

I can clearly see the difference between Lam's Wigan to Peet's Wigan. I can see Peet's impact.

Same can be said at Salford, picking up the team after the mess left by Marshall. All achieved with a limited budget and having to rebuild a squad every year. 

Lots of coaches walk into great set ups very few clubs win three on the bounce. I think Leeds are the only other side in the SL era. That’s because it’s difficult as champions teams target you. Don’t get me wrong I think Peets a deserved winner and there’s an improvement across the park at Wigan as you say. Having said that the young pack is a year older and I bet Lam would’ve loved to have a fit a firing French and Field when he was there. No argument about Rowley either Salford have been superb this season. 

Edited by bobbruce
  • Like 1

On 21/09/2022 at 11:58, DOGFATHER said:

He has access to one of, if not the biggest playing budget in the British game, probably the biggest budget in terms of youth development, and an army of highly talented and experienced backroom staff/advisors in Wane, Briers, Radlinski and O'Loughlin. Just how much of the decision making has been made by him could be debatable.

2 of Wigan's big spending rivals, (Warrington and Leeds) have had relatively poor regular seasons, making the LLS pretty much a 2 horse race in which Wigan came 2nd. He has not made the GF either, is this really an achievement worthy of coach of the year? I'm not convinced.

Wigan won the Challenge Cup, but other than that he hasn't won anything.

Classic! 😀😀😀

• Like 1