Ireland World Cup squad

On 22/09/2022 at 07:12, Mr Frisky said:

He should call Tony Cascarino for advice on playing for Ireland. 

I think his mother was Irish so he was eligible.

It's good to see Michael Ward from Batley in the team. He has had a great season. 

6 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

I think you're as wrong as you can be - read his book🤣

As I understand it, Cascarino originally thought he qualified on the basis of his mother's Irish father. Having played for them for a number of years his mother told him that she was actually adopted and Tony therefore wasn't genetically descended from that grandfather. He assumed this meant that he didn't qualify for them, but kept quiet about it until he published his book after retiring.

Had he been a RL player he might not have qualified, but association football qualification includes citizenship and entitlement to citizenship as qualification criteria (except for England, Scotland, Wales & NI because we are all British citizens). The FA of Ireland have confirmed that Cascarino would be entitled to Irish citizenship because their citizenship law treats adopted children the same as any others, so it turns out he did qualify after all.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Barley Mow said:

As I understand it, Cascarino originally thought he qualified on the basis of his mother's Irish father. Having played for them for a number of years his mother told him that she was actually adopted and Tony therefore wasn't genetically descended from that grandfather. He assumed this meant that he didn't qualify for them, but kept quiet about it until he published his book after retiring.

Had he been a RL player he might not have qualified, but association football qualification includes citizenship and entitlement to citizenship as qualification criteria (except for England, Scotland, Wales & NI because we are all British citizens). The FA of Ireland have confirmed that Cascarino would be entitled to Irish citizenship because their citizenship law treats adopted children the same as any others, so it turns out he did qualify after all.

But not when he was playing for them.

On 25/09/2022 at 12:01, Barley Mow said:

He knew he wasn't eligible after 2 or 3 games when he applied for an Irish passport and got turned down, the letter he received explained he had no Irish ancestors at all.