AFL Racism Claims

This is pretty shocking and comes on the back of other issues, such as players receiving racist abuse, in recent years:

The Australian Football League is investigating claims Aboriginal players at one of its most successful clubs were bullied by senior coaching staff.

Hawthorn Football Club players were reportedly isolated from family, told to leave their partners and one alleges he was ordered to end a pregnancy.

One of the coaches implicated has taken leave as the league investigates the "disturbing" claims.

They were uncovered by a review of the team's treatment of Indigenous people.

The Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) published details of the confidential report on Wednesday, as the league prepares for the grand final on Saturday.

ABC interviewed three unnamed players who were at the Melbourne club - also known as the Hawks - between 2005 and 2021. During that time, they say they were forced to choose between their careers and their families.

One said coaching staff had "demanded that I needed to get rid of my unborn child and my partner".

"I was then manipulated and convinced to remove my SIM card from my phone so there was no further contact between my family and me. They told me I'd be living with one of the other coaches from that night onward," he said.

His partner did not go through with an abortion and the couple reconciled within months. But when she became pregnant again soon after the birth of their first child, the woman told the ABC she felt she needed to end that pregnancy to avoid a repeat ordeal.

Another player told the ABC Hawthorn reacted similarly when they learned his partner was pregnant. He said he was forced to break up with her and cut off contact. She later miscarried.

A third player - who was from another state - told the investigation the club had actively tried to stop his young family from relocating to Melbourne to be with him.

All three couples spoke about their mental health struggles since the incidents.

Hawthorn Football Club hit by 'harrowing' racism, bullying claims - BBC News

• Like 1

On 21/09/2022 at 12:19, Damien said:

This is pretty shocking and comes on the back of other issues, such as players receiving racist abuse, in recent years:

The Australian Football League is investigating claims Aboriginal players at one of its most successful clubs were bullied by senior coaching staff.

Hawthorn Football Club players were reportedly isolated from family, told to leave their partners and one alleges he was ordered to end a pregnancy.

One of the coaches implicated has taken leave as the league investigates the "disturbing" claims.

They were uncovered by a review of the team's treatment of Indigenous people.

The Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) published details of the confidential report on Wednesday, as the league prepares for the grand final on Saturday.

ABC interviewed three unnamed players who were at the Melbourne club - also known as the Hawks - between 2005 and 2021. During that time, they say they were forced to choose between their careers and their families.

One said coaching staff had "demanded that I needed to get rid of my unborn child and my partner".

"I was then manipulated and convinced to remove my SIM card from my phone so there was no further contact between my family and me. They told me I'd be living with one of the other coaches from that night onward," he said.

His partner did not go through with an abortion and the couple reconciled within months. But when she became pregnant again soon after the birth of their first child, the woman told the ABC she felt she needed to end that pregnancy to avoid a repeat ordeal.

Another player told the ABC Hawthorn reacted similarly when they learned his partner was pregnant. He said he was forced to break up with her and cut off contact. She later miscarried.

A third player - who was from another state - told the investigation the club had actively tried to stop his young family from relocating to Melbourne to be with him.

All three couples spoke about their mental health struggles since the incidents.

Hawthorn Football Club hit by 'harrowing' racism, bullying claims - BBC News

On 21/09/2022 at 12:39, gingerjon said:

Absolutely horrific.

Australia football or AFL has a very long history of racism and here are some examples

https://theconversation.com/loud-obnoxious-and-at-times-racist-the-sordid-history-of-afl-barracking-119080

https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/1170837/alcock-a-long-way-to-go-to-stamp-out-racism

https://digital-classroom.nma.gov.au/defining-moments/australian-football-league-apologises-adam-goodes

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jul/31/no-room-for-racism-in-afl-but-it-runs-deeper-than-just-verbal-and-online-abuse

Some lowlights from Collingwood.

Early 90s Collingwood President, Allan McAlister - “As long as they conduct themselves like white people, well, off the field, everyone will admire and respect … As long as they conduct themselves like human beings, they will be all right. That’s the key.” 

2013 - Just days after Adam Goodes was racially abused by a 13-year-old girl at the MCG - Eddie Maguire, President of Collingwood, suggests Adam Goodes should be used to promote King Kong the musical.

2021 - Collingwood found to have systemic racism https://amp.abc.net.au/article/13055816

2022 - former Collingwood greats cut contact with Collingwood over lack of action to address racism. https://amp.abc.net.au/article/100987420

“It is our firm belief that the Collingwood Football Club has no intention of acting in good faith to achieve a just outcome for past players who have experienced racism at the Club," Lumumba wrote on Twitter.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Copa said:

Early 90s Collingwood President, Allan McAlister - “As long as they conduct themselves like white people, well, off the field, everyone will admire and respect … As long as they conduct themselves like human beings, they will be all right. That’s the key.”ers who have experienced racism at the Club," Lumumba wrote on Twitter.

You'd never hear anything like that in the NRL today.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nrl/article-11083423/Newcastle-Knights-racism-row-Staffer-told-Indigenous-footballer-stop-playing-like-blackfella.html

Still, the AFL doing all it can to get turn Sydneysiders back to league this morning.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

42 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nrl/article-11083423/Newcastle-Knights-racism-row-Staffer-told-Indigenous-footballer-stop-playing-like-blackfella.html

Still, the AFL doing all it can to get turn Sydneysiders back to league this morning.

The NRL can have issues but it’s nothing like the entrenched racism of the AFL that can openly come from unrepentant head coaches and some club presidents.

The unrelenting booing of Adam Goodes in stadiums around Australia was also beyond shameful.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Copa said:

The NRL can have issues but it’s nothing like the entrenched racism of the AFL that can openly come from unrepentant head coaches and some club presidents.

The unrelenting booing of Adam Goodes in stadiums around Australia was also beyond shameful.

Aye, it does seem endemic in the AFL in a much deeper way.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

It is from the union loving Daily Mail, who if my memory serves me right used to sponsor a union schools competition and possibly still do

14 hours ago, Copa said:

Some lowlights from Collingwood.

Early 90s Collingwood President, Allan McAlister - “As long as they conduct themselves like white people, well, off the field, everyone will admire and respect … As long as they conduct themselves like human beings, they will be all right. That’s the key.” 

2013 - Just days after Adam Goodes was racially abused by a 13-year-old girl at the MCG - Eddie Maguire, President of Collingwood, suggests Adam Goodes should be used to promote King Kong the musical.

2021 - Collingwood found to have systemic racism https://amp.abc.net.au/article/13055816

2022 - former Collingwood greats cut contact with Collingwood over lack of action to address racism. https://amp.abc.net.au/article/100987420

“It is our firm belief that the Collingwood Football Club has no intention of acting in good faith to achieve a just outcome for past players who have experienced racism at the Club," Lumumba wrote on Twitter.

Not only racism is AFL known for, but also sexism and homophobia and quire a few times fiddling their junior playing numbers in NSW and QLD to receive more tax payers money, which they have been caught out on. It even took money from the Chinese government to take some games there, despite Chinas appalling human rights record. There is nowhere where they won't go to get money. If they was offered enough they would even go to Moscow and play games there, despite Russia's illegal invasion of Ukraine. They have zero morals

24 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

It is from the union loving Daily Mail, who if my memory serves me right used to sponsor a union schools competition and possibly still do

It's also been covered by Nine, Fox Sports, the Newcastle Herald and others.

37 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's also been covered by Nine, Fox Sports, the Newcastle Herald and others.

I guess with the amount of racism that's happened in fumbleball over the years they have reported all of them acts.

That's me done on here for the evening as i settle down to watch the Grand Final