The promoted Championship team.

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Whoever gets promoted shouldn't they be fastracked immediately to have an academy set up if they do wish?

I hope I'm wrong but I think there could be a spot from the present issued licences by way of a club in the North East.

What of leigh and salford have a combined acadamy

It makes sense to me, and maybe allow swinton in on the act to enable a gateway to league 1 and the championship also 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Whoever gets promoted shouldn't they be fastracked immediately to have an academy set up if they do wish?

I hope I'm wrong but I think there could be a spot from the present issued licences by way of a club in the North East.

See what IMG say I think H

• Like 1

If you want to make the promoted team more competitive let them have extra Overseas players (say 9) for one season only. The argument goes that there are not enough UK based players of suitable quality and most are wrapped up by the Super League clubs well in advance of the end of season.

The same argument would stand for an expansion of the league back to 14 teams. It appears that there is still talent from down under outside of NRL.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jughead said:

No, the licences have been given out for the next period, so any promoted team won’t be allowed one till the next cycle or at least until IMG/Super League/The RFL change their mind on the next structure. 

And that is precisely what is wrong with the system, the next academy structure change is 2027 I believe, that's a long time for clubs to be at a financial disadvantage to those clubs who have academies and get concessions on the Salery cap for doing so, do you think that is fair?

58 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

No, it didn't work in Hull why should it work in Gtr Manchester?

Because wigan, saints and warrington sign up all the best talent so leigh, salford, swinton need to create effective opportuities

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Does it get taken off them when they get relegated and given to whoever has come up in their place?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Does it get taken off them when they get relegated and given to whoever has come up in their place?

Why should it, I was looking for a way to get the door open, I would say whoever the club and whichever the division they should be allowed to run an academy if they so wish and can afford it, it shouldn't be an exclusive club 

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

As someone else has said.  Academies should be taken off the clubs and be centrally run on a regional basis by the RFL. 

How would that work?

Lets say im 16 and ace. I presume i am playing for Yorkshire Academy? Who do we play every week? How do i get signed by a club? What happens to the other lads who are not playing Academy for Yorkshire, who do they play for and play against?

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

And that is precisely what is wrong with the system, the next academy structure change is 2027 I believe, that's a long time for clubs to be at a financial disadvantage to those clubs who have academies and get concessions on the Salery cap for doing so, do you think that is fair?

Yes, I think Academies should be licensed to some extent with reviews annually as well as a “final” review point determined over, say, a five year period as we have now. Should we have a finite amount of licences to give out? Ideally, no. 

14 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Yes, I think Academies should be licensed to some extent with reviews annually as well as a “final” review point determined over, say, a five year period as we have now. Should we have a finite amount of licences to give out? Ideally, no. 

So you condone that some club's should have a financial advantage over others? That sounds like an "I'm alright Jack" it doesn't bother my club.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So you condone that some club's should have a financial advantage over others? That sounds like an "I'm alright Jack" it doesn't bother my club.

Yes, I do believe certain clubs, certainly those the best run clubs and businesses, should be. Ideally, there wouldn’t be a finite number of licences and those with the finances and ability to do so could start an academy, though be reviewed annually and at the end of a natural cycle. 

I see no benefits to the removal of all club academies, as some suggest. 

27 minutes ago, Tubby said:

This may seem facetious, but is that based on the professionalism and balanced fairness of those in charge?

Its based on the criteria set out by the people approved to create the criteria. Not sure what else it can be set against really.

To be honest I think the Academies should have more oversight than any other part of the game, the impact on the kids involved can be life changing, just giving instant academy status to any club just because they got promotion is a ridiculous idea.

Edited by dkw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Like say a Parachute payment.....

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, dkw said:

Its based on the criteria set out by the people approved to create the criteria. Not sure what else it can be set against really.

My point is that if those who are scrutinising the criteria are inept, then how much value can we place on that scrutiny.  I absolutely agree with the premise, but the RFL/SL etc. seem to make a habit of undermining their own rules, making them less than transparent.

2 minutes ago, Tubby said:

My point is that if those who are scrutinising the criteria are inept, then how much value can we place on that scrutiny.  I absolutely agree with the premise, but the RFL/SL etc. seem to make a habit of undermining their own rules, making them less than transparent.

Who has decided they are inept?