The promoted Championship team.

1 hour ago, dkw said:

Who has decided they are inept?

Me, I suppose.  General concensus?  I must admit, I'm generally in support of the RFL and I believe a lot of the stick they get is tabloid sort of stuff, but recently I could be presuaded there may be a kernel of fact in there.

2 minutes ago, Tubby said:

Me, I suppose.  General concensus?  I must admit, I'm generally in support of the RFL and I believe a lot of the stick they get is tabloid sort of stuff, but recently I could be presuaded there may be a kernel of fact in there.

That's quite a leap from the last few days of daftness from the MRP to whoever it is looking after the Academies. I wouldn't even know who they are, but I expect they are completely different people.

1 minute ago, dkw said:

That's quite a leap from the last few days of daftness from the MRP to whoever it is looking after the Academies. I wouldn't even know who they are, but I expect they are completely different people.

Much like you, I don't know the make up of the RFL, but there are people at the top and ultimately, they are responsible for the way the sport is run.  Would your contention be that it is run well?  if so, for how long would you say it has been well run?  Or would you agree that the governance often leaves something to be desired (League structure, disciplinary, finance, sponsorship, etc)?

22 hours ago, Septimius Severus said:

Regional academies make far more sense than club based ones.

Lancashire, Cumbria, Yorkshire, Humberside, North East and London would cover the major playing areas with future expansion in the Midlands and Wales.

How do you decide which SL or Champs club gets which player?

17 minutes ago, dealwithit said:

How do you decide which SL or Champs club gets which player?

The way I'd do it is the RFL would run the area/regional academies. Then when players leave the academy any club is free to sign them just like any other out of contract player.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

You don't have to, it is well known that you are an high official of the Cumbrian section of Centurions Hatred Society.

I dont hate Leigh at all, I just find certain fans of theirs to be tedious, obnoxious self important blowhards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

The way I'd do it is the RFL would run the area/regional academies. Then when players leave the academy any club is free to sign them just like any other out of contract player.

I always thought it would be a good idea to have area academies up to a certain age, maybe even with players "sponsored" (not sure thats the right word) by clubs through those formative years, they then move on to the sponsor club at say over 18`s/under21`s level. This ensures the players have a steady progression based learning, a chance to build into a position that suits them rather than what suits the club at that time. I know of a few young lads shoved into the entirely wrong position by a club as they needed players there only to then cast the player aside when they failed.

On 22/09/2022 at 11:54, Gav Wilson said:

Why would Leeds, St Helens & Wigan agree to that? 

If other teams put as much finance and resource in to their academies as Saints, Wigan and Leeds do, we would be in a much healthier position. All centralising academies would achieve is a net decrease in spend, and increasingly lower yields of elite players as a consequence...

I have long though salary cap spend should be linked to academy/development spend, and a much lower limit on max cap value for homegrown and federation players. Or remove the limit on the number of marquees but instead each marquee signing comes with exponential commitments to funding academy programmes. If Warrington want to sign the current Australia team, they can do, by pumping double the money into developing the next England team ...

• Like 1

On 22/09/2022 at 10:00, Septimius Severus said:

If you want to make the promoted team more competitive let them have extra Overseas players (say 9) for one season only. The argument goes that there are not enough UK based players of suitable quality and most are wrapped up by the Super League clubs well in advance of the end of season.

The same argument would stand for an expansion of the league back to 14 teams. It appears that there is still talent from down under outside of NRL.

The last thing the game wants in this country is even more overseas players. In fact for the good of the game here we should be reducing the amount of overseas players in our competitions.

No relegation in there first year in Super League and give them an academy team.

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

The last thing the game wants in this country is even more overseas players. In fact for the good of the game here we should be reducing the amount of overseas players in our competitions.

No relegation in there first year in Super League and give them an academy team.

Seriously, where is the British talent in the Championship that SL clubs want to hoover up. It does not exist, with the exception of Tee Ritson. If a Championship team get promoted where are they supposed to get a strong enough squad to survive SL. History shows that it is up one season down the next.

2 minutes ago, Septimius Severus said:

Seriously, where is the British talent in the Championship that SL clubs want to hoover up. It does not exist, with the exception of Tee Ritson. If a Championship team get promoted where are they supposed to get a strong enough squad to survive SL. History shows that it is up one season down the next.

That's why it should be a condition of Super League that all clubs have academies, and also you missed what i said that a promoted club shouldn't be relegated in their first season in Super League.

On 22/09/2022 at 11:16, David Shepherd said:

As someone else has said.  Academies should be taken off the clubs and be centrally run on a regional basis by the RFL. 

Is this the same RFL that everyone says can't run a ###### up in a brewery?

That RFL?

• Haha 1

I’ve never understood any calls for the abolition of academies, the clubs with the best pathways, having invested the most time and resources into it compared to other clubs, being held up as the “bad guys” in all of this or the leap that inevitably gets made whenever this discussion gets brought up (you can tell when it’s nearly the off season, only 247 more structure threads to go) to “bloody Australians, coming over here and taking our starting jumpers”. 

We’ve seen regional academies exist alongside the established clubs and we’ve seen what pathways can do outside of the heartlands (Newcastle’s is bearing it’s first fruits, London’s churns out players annually, we’re coming to the end of the careers of the Celtic Crusaders players from approx. 15 years ago). I think they can both co-exist but calls for teams called Yorkshire and Lancashire (where even is that, these days and does anyone play the game in Burnley?) is daft, limits the player pool significantly, harms player growth and penalises clubs who have invested in the correct areas in a desperate attempt at a race to the bottom type scenario so those without the resources or interest in making the hard yards in youth recruitment are rewarded by getting their hands on a player for a couple of years, who may never reach their potential, having been held back by resources, or a lack of, at some clubs compared to others.

As for reducing overseas players in the competition, the competition is far richer for having Cade Cust, Lachlan Coote, Ricky Leutele, Brodie Croft, Konrad Hurrell, Mason Lino and Matt Dufty in the competition and has been for having the many names who have gone before them. The obsession for blaming England and GB’s ills on foreign players in Super League is daft and short sighted, as is the suggestion we need fewer players from overseas. 

• Like 2

On 22/09/2022 at 11:46, MattSantos said:

How would that work?

Lets say im 16 and ace. I presume i am playing for Yorkshire Academy? Who do we play every week? How do i get signed by a club? What happens to the other lads who are not playing Academy for Yorkshire, who do they play for and play against?

Well one would imagine the answer to your question is obvious... you play the other academy's!

This would work with a draft system either through individual areas or as a bigger overall draft. Could give the first picks to the worst performing teams.

Probably would include a Cheshire academy to the list also

48 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Well one would imagine the answer to your question is obvious... you play the other academy's!

This would work with a draft system either through individual areas or as a bigger overall draft. Could give the first picks to the worst performing teams.

Probably would include a Cheshire academy to the list also

So it's a stupid idea.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas