Signings for 2023

Evs62

24 minutes ago, Sticklebricks said:

I’m sure the board will have factored in who we play and the chances of winning ,especially after last year so probably yes they can

I hope that's the case mate, I must admit, the more rumors that come out about both clubs makes me think in the end it'll be merge or bust!

48 minutes ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Can Town afford it? 

When Town are in L1 and winning regularly then crowds aren't very much different to what we got in the Championship, and sometimes higher. Wages in L1 are a lot lower so are much more affordable.

From what I hear Town's financial problems this year weren't as a result of any on-field issues or the playing budget, they were the legacy of some terrible off-field commercial deals made by the previous directors where the club got totally ripped off.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

I think cumbria clubs should help each other,say barrow in championship doing well with big squad, makes sense for barrow to loan players out to town in div 1 to give lads game time,keep players match fit an playing regularly. Need 3 teams in cumbria in championship. 

• Like 1

On 03/10/2022 at 13:47, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

I would like to see the club work a bit more closely with the local amateurs this season.

By that, I mean for Town to take a few of the promising local youngsters with the amateur club's blessing obviously, to train in a semi-pro environment for 2-3 nights a week throughout the season and the player to spend Thursday night's training session and matchdays with their own club.

At least that way it gives Town the opportunity to work with and develop youngers players without the added complication of trying to get them game time, as that's where we seem to lose younger players as there's no opportunity to bed them in due to the lack of an A team.

The development players should be given the same training/gym schedule as the rest of the squad, and it would give the coaching staff a more realistic assessment as to whether these players could make the grade as a semi-professional 

The amateur club will also get the benefit of their players being subjected to a higher level of training.

If Town manage to get squad numbers built up, then there could be the possibility of playing trial matches once the season ends against other pro clubs  

It wouldn't be viable for community club . players training with town on a Thursday night, majority of armature clubs have there final training section before the weekend games, it's also the time the coach's decide on the teams at training, 

2 hours ago, Derwent said:

When Town are in L1 and winning regularly then crowds aren't very much different to what we got in the Championship, and sometimes higher. Wages in L1 are a lot lower so are much more affordable.

From what I hear Town's financial problems this year weren't as a result of any on-field issues or the playing budget, they were the legacy of some terrible off-field commercial deals made by the previous directors where the club got totally ripped off.

I think you heard wrong mate,or at least partly, the wages that were handed out to the previous years squad is what killed town last year, those were handed out by Chris and the previous chair I believe and paying way over a lot of players values. Our budget was nearly twice of what havens was. And there managing to bring in overseas players and keeping the best locals. 

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

Shame Jamie has left, at times for us he has been unplayable, still amazes me how he manages to slide through almost non existent gaps. Good luck to him, been a good player and a good bloke while at our club. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Town utd said:

Need 3 teams in cumbria in championship. 

That Won't happen. The three things that hold cumbrian clubs back are money,location and lack of locals  who are championship standard. Town are showing encouraging signs of a rebuild and haven and barrow are having good spells but due to the three issues facing cumbrian clubs will Inevitably drop to L1. Thatsxthe way it is unfortunately.

29 minutes ago, wonky said:

I think you heard wrong mate,or at least partly, the wages that were handed out to the previous years squad is what killed town last year, those were handed out by Chris and the previous chair I believe and paying way over a lot of players values. Our budget was nearly twice of what havens was. And there managing to bring in overseas players and keeping the best locals. 

Thorman's full time wage itself was a killer to the club finances, and a massive mistake giving a coach a full time 5yr contract, would love to see the business plan that showed it was viable.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, town4me said:

That Won't happen. The three things that hold cumbrian clubs back are money,location and lack of locals  who are championship standard. Town are showing encouraging signs of a rebuild and haven and barrow are having good spells but due to the three issues facing cumbrian clubs will Inevitably drop to L1. Thatsxthe way it is unfortunately.

Understand where you coming from suppose we could get relegated anytime depending who we replace our departed players with . But barrow will not be in for league 1 for a very long time they're going places 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, town4me said:

Got to disagree, a merger could end that for the 2 West Cumbria clubs and  combine the local talent pool. Barrow are doing all the right things and are making some very good signings for next season. They are going to be around the Championship for quite a while to come and have a large local amatuer pool along with their U19s academy side to nurture and recruit the best locals from. 

Edited by Johnny Ringo

1 hour ago, JMB said:

It wouldn't be viable for community club . players training with town on a Thursday night, majority of armature clubs have there final training section before the weekend games, it's also the time the coach's decide on the teams at training, 

You've just quoted the opposite of what I've said pal - players to train with their 'amateur' club on a Thursday and play on the Saturday - train with Town earlier in the week and also join in with weight's sessions etc

3 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

You've just quoted the opposite of what I've said pal - players to train with their 'amateur' club on a Thursday and play on the Saturday - train with Town earlier in the week and also join in with weight's sessions etc

Still a big commitment that though, factor in lads working shifts, seeing their families etc. Lads will never be at home 🤣

15 minutes ago, Johnny Ringo said:

Got to disagree, a merger could end that for the 2 West Cumbria clubs and  combine the local talent pool. Barrow are doing all the right things and are making some very good signings for next season. They are going to be around the Championship for quite a while to come and have a large local amatuer pool along with their U19s academy side to nurture and recruit the best locals from. 

Would have to be a merger with Town and Whitehaven if they really want to be a force in the Championship - no other way!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

Sorry pal, it's this heat wave, 

3 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Yeah,it wasn’t a good move from Town last season.😂

But it's just as usual Davo 5, and i don't blame the players, they have to get the best deal they can whilst playing in the pro game,