Signings for 2023

Evs62

Buffer is announced so at half back we have Simpson,Walker, Forber, and possibly Marwood.  I think it's at hooker we could do with another addition. Matty is the number 1 but his ankle will always be a potential injury weakness leaving only Blaine. I'm sure it's in hand though and the squad is shaping up nicely 🤞

The new home Jersey looks good, and better with the Toyota symbol back on the front. 

After a totally abject 22 season where I was so angry about the recruitment and the mind numbing style of play I'm starting to regain a bit of interest again. UTT 

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

With a good local squad Compiled together, if we can add a bit of overseas flair we will be a force in league one. I think Dewsbury will be the team to beat, but let’s be honest going up via the playoffs with a final at derwent park should be the target. Heard were waiting until the French league ends to pick up players from over there, and a png player is in talks with us and a few others 

• Like 1

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

18 minutes ago, wonky said:

With a good local squad Compiled together, if we can add a bit of overseas flair we will be a force in league one. I think Dewsbury will be the team to beat, but let’s be honest going up via the playoffs with a final at derwent park should be the target. Heard were waiting until the French league ends to pick up players from over there, and a png player is in talks with us and a few others 

Still more to come then? Which is encouraging

8 hours ago, Brookie said:

Still more to come then? Which is encouraging

Think there waiting a couple of months now so they can give the local lads opportunities, then look to strengthen for the playoffs 

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

17 hours ago, wonky said:

Think there waiting a couple of months now so they can give the local lads opportunities, then look to strengthen for the playoffs 

But will reaching the play offs be an ideal situation?

I base my question on the very much documented comments made by Chris Thorman following play off success in 2021. (two great matches to watch for sure). However - Chris always lamented that with Town being in play offs the club then lost several opportunities to sign formerly available players - and therefore Town were weeks behind other clubs regarding strengthening. So would the new regime not suffer similar play off dramas ???

29 minutes ago, havenhater said:

We have to aim for the sky and see what happens.

Time and time again, I will use the same comment, we simply cannot afford to languish in league 1.

Whilst I agree teams should always push for promotion, what we don't want, need or can afford is a repeat of last season where we went into the championship with a league 1 team. We have signed so far a young team that needs developed and added to strengthen. I would rather watch a competitive team in league 1 for a few seasons than get promoted to early and be the whipping boys we were last season.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

I base my question on the very much documented comments made by Chris Thorman following play off success in 2021. (two great matches to watch for sure). However - Chris always lamented that with Town being in play offs the club then lost several opportunities to sign formerly available players - and therefore Town were weeks behind other clubs regarding strengthening. So would the new regime not suffer similar play off dramas ???

Thats always true Shiny One. Buts its also a red herring, to explain last years monumental bad signings.

Plenty  and I mean loads! of decent players came up after the play offs . Thorman well and truly maffed it  marrow!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

I personally didn't buy that excuse. It was still getting used as an excuse 3/4 of the way through the season. Every team seemed to be able to recruit signings or loans far easier/quicker than we did. 

If we have a good season and are able to make the playoffs I'd hope we would have learnt our lesson

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Peter Winthorpe said:

We must aim for promotion to build up lost support and finances.

If we make it surely we have learned a lesson and won't play a pack of hookers.

Looking back I can't see what Chris was up too. We will see if he at Newcastle has learnt his lesson.

Shamrock has just left them for Toulouse 

1 hour ago, havenhater said:

We have to aim for the sky and see what happens.

Time and time again, I will use the same comment, we simply cannot afford to languish in league 1.

I see your point but do we really want to rush back to the championship before somethings been built to give us a good chance of staying there.  

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Bearintown said:

Thats always true Shiny One. Buts its also a red herring, to explain last years monumental bad signings.

Plenty  and I mean loads! of decent players came up after the play offs . Thorman well and truly maffed it  marrow!!

Yes Kevin us 'popular siders' saw the writing was on the wall very early in the season - mainly because of the Thorman idea that mobility was more worthwhile in the squad than a physical input.

I recall being in earshot when, not for the first time, he told us an overseas signing was imminent...........never got here did he.

So, despite 100% unreserved effort by the always too small pack, us 'keyboard warriors' tried in vain to give Chris some good advice, or so we thought it was. Given to him without knowing if he actually visited this forum - perhaps he should have. But it was deemed unwelcome advice in some quarters hence the warriors hint.

What we now know perhaps seems to have hindered his recruitment, as the painful financial level of the club became apparent, was that he wasn't able to buy his way out of trouble.

So yes marras Chris failed us somewhat badly....maybe not well and truly maffed it though?

On 18/11/2022 at 20:57, Spike said:

Price of Kids season tickets gone up to £25 from £10 👀

Love the new home shirt!!

Normally buy 3 kids season tickets and one for myself, but might have to give it a miss this year. 150% price hike for less games in a lower division is a bit much IMO. I know the club are desperate for any income, but I feel we have shot ourselves in the foot on this one. Getting the kids in to watch and hopefully get hooked on Town is vital for our future, we should just look at how many kids are watching the Reds compared to us. Like the shirt though. UTT.

• Like 2