Signings for 2023

Evs62

6 hours ago, DavidM said:

Interesting what’s going on at Rochdale . Struggling financially and just released a host of players including Rangi Chase , Worrincy ,McNally and Fui Fui 

Wouldn't take any of them, costly and ageing. 

Can't see us looking at that type of player for next year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, havenhater said:

Need some kind of expirence to go with these young ones even with forber 

I'd take Fui back as long as his demands weren't astronomical, he's a big character and a great mentor for the young lads and scores tries. Kirkup, Curwen, Thomson and Fui would be a good prop lineup.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, homeandawayer said:

I'd take Fui back as long as his demands weren't astronomical, he's a big character and a great mentor for the young lads and scores tries. Kirkup, Curwen, Thomson and Fui would be a good prop lineup.

These guys will want top dollar to play up here, they are at the end of their playing carriers, and we have been lucky that both Muz and Gary Murdock have been able to get the young local players back that Thorman chased, I would love to no what the full cost of what the club paid out for Thormans traveling army, but we will never no that will we. The club should just keep supporting both Muz and Gary and let them build on what has been a good start on the recruitment so far. 

• Like 2

Think Clubs in div 1 with hardly any meaningful funding will have had a wake up call and will cut their cloth accordingly .Players at the tail end of their career will also find a deal hard to come by as nearly all Clubs will stick to what they can afford .

1 hour ago, JMB said:

These guys will want top dollar to play up here, they are at the end of their playing carriers, and we have been lucky that both Muz and Gary Murdock have been able to get the young local players back that Thorman chased, I would love to no what the full cost of what the club paid out for Thormans traveling army, but we will never no that will we. The club should just keep supporting both Muz and Gary and let them build on what has been a good start on the recruitment so far. 

They might want it but can they demand it? It depends who's prepared to offer them a deal other than a champ 1 team and we know none of them have "top dollar".  Agreed on the amateurs , i thought we might have burned our bridges there.

46 minutes ago, homeandawayer said:

They might want it but can they demand it? It depends who's prepared to offer them a deal other than a champ 1 team and we know none of them have "top dollar".  Agreed on the amateurs , i thought we might have burned our bridges there.

I also thought we wouldn't get them back, but Muz is well respected in both amateur and pro game, he also has plenty of contacts in both the west and south of the county. 

1 hour ago, townie88 said:

If we want experience and local without paying top whack. I'd love either Mcavoy or Dawson back from down the road. That's if they aren't already tied down and willing to drop down a league. 

Think dawsons tied up for another year.

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

18 hours ago, JMB said:

and we have been lucky that both Muz and Gary Murdock have been able to get the young local players back that Thorman chased, ....

Oh come on....the ones who were setting the championship alight you mean? L1 is the place for them and their development now, let's move on.

Good luck to the lad, its a short career so play to the highest level you can - no point in being bitter about it, as the chances are he will be back at Town at some point in future, such is the nature of the West Cumbria player 'merry-go round' 

I agree with DocH's comments, we are where we are, and that's the very bottom step of a long rebuilding process.

These locals lads will get ensure we get a team on the field, time will tell as to how competitive they will be, but I'm sure there will be plenty of other coming and goings as the season progresses and I'm in no doubt that each new signing will offer something slightly better than what we have.

I would be happy with top half of the league and build from there. This new board seem to be a bit more business minded and look for longer term solutions rather than the usual 'quick fixes' which we know from experience are just sticking plasters that never really confront the real issues head on.

• Like 1

You need to be aiming for promotion in this league whatever the business plan. Who wants to travel down to Wales and cornwall for longer then in necessary?

Players want to play in the championship and a year's apprenticeship in league 1 will be fine, but with all the funding cuts, league 1 is no place you want to stay longer then is necessary.

The dave Clark era when we stabilised wasn't considered a success.

• Like 3

We can only push for promotion if we have  the finances in place , to go up and have nothing to spend is pointless , we don`t need another season like this one .As for the Dave Clark reference , well his man management skills were zero .If you remember we always chanted for Callum Phillips when he played , the more we did this , the more Clark took him off .He alienated both Phillips brothers , which then led to Jason Mossop , Shacks and a year later Kris Coward all leaving .

5 hours ago, havenhater said:

You need to be aiming for promotion in this league whatever the business plan. Who wants to travel down to Wales and cornwall for longer then in necessary?

Players want to play in the championship and a year's apprenticeship in league 1 will be fine, but with all the funding cuts, league 1 is no place you want to stay longer then is necessary.

The dave Clark era when we stabilised wasn't considered a success.

Yeah you have to have ambition  but you need to be able to match that ambition. We went up too early and look what happened. IMHO we need atleast 2 years if not 3 to build something capable of competing in the championship or you go around in circles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, town4me said:

Yeah you have to have ambition  but you need to be able to match that ambition. We went up too early and look what happened. IMHO we need atleast 2 years if not 3 to build something capable of competing in the championship or you go around in circles.

I don’t buy all this “we went up to early” stuff. Staying in L1 for a couple of years wouldn’t have made the squad any better prepared for the Championship. Our biggest issue was we had a coach who was convinced in his own mind that his philosophy was right and everyone else was wrong, and still refused to deviate from it when it was proven wrong. Yes we had a small budget but so did our neighbours and they did ok. Rubbish recruitment was our downfall, pure and simple.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

2 or 3 years in league 1 is unfortunately a business nightmare.

Dewsbury going all in with there signings but with 3 or 4 experienced heads I think we can mount a challenge.

Holyroyd, Hall or Jordan burns would give us that xfactor with mcnally also, now that would be something.

Obviously a big old Wilkes thackery type wouldn't go a miss either.

• Like 1

Finances will dictate the squad and so far our new signings show we don't have a pot to p##s in, agree we have to have a couple of seasons building/developing a young hungry squad capable of competing in the championship before we push for promotion unless someone comes forward with a heap of cash. Bringing in players on the verge of retirement looking for an easy pay day is not the answer for me. 

Edited by tbgfc
  • Like 3