North of England Military Team versus The Anzacs at Leeds Sat April 8th 1916.

A mate of mine was lucky enough to buy this photo off an internet auction site some time back. He's been in the RAF most of his life so it held a particular interest for him and he's had it reframed. He sent the following note with it :

"Here’s another piece of history for you, bought this large original photo a few years back and re-framed it.
WW1 relaxed the inter-code feud and led to ‘mixed RU/NU’ representatives playing together in military teams. This photo was taken at Headingley. Hull FC’s Jim Devereux is featured as well as Huddersfield & GB’s Harold Wagstaff. There are NU players on both teams."

So, some famous names amongst the gathering, anyone throw any more info about the game?

May be an image of 2 people

Edited by Old Frightful
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Can't see the image, sorry.

Looks like my IT "skills" have surfaced again, I'll see what I can do...apologies.

• Like 2

Any joy now?, god, I hate not knowing about this sort of stuff!

9 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Any joy now?, god, I hate not knowing about this sort of stuff!

I can see it now.

• Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

1467408652_historyofrlno21p2.jpg.38d6f842d45b62ed6c8676134ce7e610.jpgFrom the RKC archives......

Thanks Mark, much appreciated mate.

• Like 1