Give Us A Proper WCC

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

Not true. As someone who is a Roosters member and I attend a few games each season and you will see how proud they are to hold the record of WCC wins - they call themselves the most successful team in the world and the record books back that up.

The likes of Penrith seem to be indifferent to is - is it because they got well beat the last time they played so are scared it will happen again??

No obviously not because no one would care, no one looks back at the 1991 & 2003 Premierships and think they are ruined because of the WCC. 

I would argue the farce in 1997 killed it for Penrith. Given we won all 6 games in that tournament and got knocked out by Bradford & St Helens neither of whom won any of their 6 matches and we beat both teams home and away.

If we are fortunate enough to beat Parramatta in the grand final. I would be happy for us to face St Helens. 

I like the WCC but it's probably never going to be more than what it is. It's basically the same as the intercontinental football cup where the South American teams see it as the true world championship where for European football teams and NRL teams, it would be nice to win but not the end of the world if we didn't. 

34 minutes ago, anjado said:

No obviously not because no one would care, no one looks back at the 1991 & 2003 Premierships and think they are ruined because of the WCC. 

I would argue the farce in 1997 killed it for Penrith. Given we won all 6 games in that tournament and got knocked out by Bradford & St Helens neither of whom won any of their 6 matches and we beat both teams home and away.

Looking at your last point that feels understandable but realistically the Bradford WCC loss should have taken some shine off the previous years NRL title as they didn’t just lose they were annihilated.

The Bradford Bulls team of that era was so dominant against the Aussies that they won all 3 clashes against the reigning Aussie premiers by more than a 2 score margin.

To not care about this match and losing it shows off a very insular mindset.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

I would actually be massive if saints beat Penrith in a WCC. I think it would change a lot of peoples view on the super league.

They haven't beaten Parramatta yet, don't count your chickens.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, arcticchris said:

Looking at your last point that feels understandable but realistically the Bradford WCC loss should have taken some shine off the previous years NRL title as they didn’t just lose they were annihilated.

The Bradford Bulls team of that era was so dominant against the Aussies that they won all 3 clashes against the reigning Aussie premiers by more than a 2 score margin.

To not care about this match and losing it shows off a very insular mindset.

It's not so much insular, I would argue the killing off of Kangaroo tours hurt the WCC too no one disputes Wigan being one of the best sides ever they used to prove it on those tours. Bradford were a very good side and I think the best English side since that Wigan side, They were the super league equivalent Brisbane 2000 style team. 

The game was played on the 13th February a month before the NRL kicked off we had a try ruled out for a double movement when our players whole upper body slid over the line. That was 0-0 and knocked the stuffing out of us Bradford scored 2 minutes later and that was it. 

Our 2003 season was one of the greatest upsets in sport this century. No one is going to care about losing a game 5 months later on the other side of the world. Like I say it would have been nice to win but no one cares because we won the NRL against the team who tried to have us thrown out of Rugby League when we were 101/1 after round 4. 

We won with 8 local juniors in our team 6 of which debuted after 2001, 2001 in which statistically we were the 3rd worst defensive team in history. 

It's genuinely one of the biggest upsets this century in any sport.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

everyone of yesterday's panthers' team was  under the age of 30 some well away from that age - what is the average age of a 1st choice  saints side? no, the panthers won't take saints seriously as they are an absolute machine with some of the world's best players in or approaching their prime - the gulf is huge 

• Sad 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

3 hours ago, Damien said:

Well no, not by the other team competing. It should be more equitable than that. If English clubs had the same attitude then even what we have seen to date would have never happened. 

I don't expect the other team to pay it. NRL/SL. Dare I say it... IRL.

1 hour ago, anjado said:

I would argue the 2004 game killed it for Penrith when Penrith were absolutely hammered by Bradford when Fielding, Pryce and Peacock ran rings round and through them- Since then Penrith have never been seen again.

At the end of the day the record books show Bradford were the best team in the world- facts always trump opinions. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

everyone of yesterday's panthers' team was  under the age of 30 some well away from that age - what is the average age of a 1st choice  saints side? no, the panthers won't take saints seriously as they are an absolute machine with some of the world's best players in or approaching their prime - the gulf is huge 

So they wouldn't take the likes of Makemson, Walmsley, Lomax and Roby seriously.... are you serious? - 3 world class players as well as Englands first choice half back?? - there are some people on here who really do hate SL for some reason. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

So they wouldn't take the likes of Makemson, Walmsley, Lomax and Roby seriously.... are you serious? - 3 world class players as well as Englands first choice half back?? - there are some people on here who really do hate SL for some reason. 

add to that list Hopoate and Hurrell 2 players who wouldn't get a contract even at lower positioned NRL clubs anymore - love all RL but am realistic 

Edited by graveyard johnny

10 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

I would argue the 2004 game killed it for Penrith when Penrith were absolutely hammered by Bradford when Fielding, Pryce and Peacock ran rings round and through them- Since then Penrith have never been seen again.

At the end of the day the record books show Bradford were the best team in the world- facts always trump opinions. 

what's that famous jethro tull song called?

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

add to that list Hopoate and Hurrell 2 players who wouldn't get a contract even at lower positioned NRL clubs anymore - love all RL but am realistic 

They may not be starters but they would easily make an extended squad for the Redcliffe Dolphins next year.

12 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Fielden was immense that day. As good as any front row single game performance as I can ever think of.

• Like 2

Just now, graveyard johnny said:

Yes, but in a salary capped sport you can't pay 20 playesr £200,000 a year.

The 4 I've mentioned would walk into most NRL teams - would you leave Walmsley out for a penrith prop?

Even Wayne Bennet says Makemson is an absolutely amazing player and would excell in the NRL - just check out the recent James Graham podcast with Bennet when he is still raving about Makemson.

Roby - best in his position- (alongside Cam smith) in the world for the past 20 years - no real argument there - if Hodgson is hot property in the NRL then Roby would walk it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, anjado said:

Penrith made plenty of excuses when Wigan beat them in 1991 at Anfield too. That was played after their Grand Final as well.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Alas, the respective seasons are not aligned and there seems to be little desire for the WCC from down under, let alone a proper one held immediately after the respective Grand Finals.

Disappointing thread so far SP. Why has nobody asked about the Fumble WCC? Or called you "champ".

Have the mods been busy?

Radical thinking cap on...

Winner of the regular season in NRL are the champions.

Have the NRL playoffs become the World Playoffs.

SL GF 2 weeks before the Worlds start. Both finalists enter, but at different stages depending on who wins. Winner of the playoffs is declared world champions.

Question would then be how you would structure the playoffs with 10 teams.

• Like 1
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

23 hours ago, Pulga said:

To Aussies the WCC is not much more than a gimmick. It seems the English take it much more seriously.

Yes the Aussies are way too much of an inward looking nation.  They have no ambition to see the game expand beyond their country. I think it’s because they know they would get left behind if it ever took off beyond around the world. 

19 minutes ago, redsi42 said:

Yes the Aussies are way too much of an inward looking nation.  They have no ambition to see the game expand beyond their country. I think it’s because they know they would get left behind if it ever took off beyond around the world. 

I think it's more "why bother playing against SL clubs with a geographical spread of the average dining room table?".

The NRL has done far and away more for spreading the game than England has. The rise of Tonga, PNG, Fiji and Samoa is off the back of the NRL. England still scoffs at playing France...

• Like 6

new rise.jpg

There's no tradition in the major Australian sports around International club championships, just as there is no tradition with P&R. There are a whole host of both geographical and cultural reasons why this is the case but it is not something that is likely to change.

RLs mere 2 professional leagues doesn't do a lot to endear the concept, the incompatibility of timezones further condemns its potential and the last 20 years of poor international performances by England has unfortunately caused significant damage to the perception of SL in the mind of the casual Australian/NZ fan.

Hardcore fans will always enjoy it and it will be well-attended wherever it is held because it is unique and provides variation that is often missed in both leagues. It will never become the pinnacle of the club game but should always be played and enjoyed for what it is, wins for SL teams shouldn't be marked down as NRL teams not taking it seriously because that simply isn't reality.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Welshleaguelover said:

Penrith and Parramatta would easily beat Saints.

The quality of our competition has nosedived over the last decade.

Makinson and Walmsley would be the only Saints players that would make Penrith's side.

Knowles and Lees would be hovering around both 17s but no guarantees they'd be starting.

The last time Saints played in the WCC we were well in the game, I think we lost by 8.

That Saints team had a left edge centre/wing partnership of James Bentley / Matty Costello (I think because we were missing Percy, Grace and Coote).  The bench also had Joseph Paulo and Aaron Smith who wouldn't get a game for us now.  It was the first game under Woolf and I would say we are now better quipped to cope with NRL intensity levels.

I don't think Saints would win but I think the talk of nosediving standards and getting battered is overdone also.

Players like Welsby, Makinson, Lomax, Dodd, Walmsley, Roby, Lees, Knowles etc would be excellent players in any generation IMO and constant referencing of poor standards is pretty disrespectful to them.  There arent many weak links in that Saints side but clearly nobody would argue Penrith aren't the best side in the world.

• Like 1