Australia PMXIII vs PNG PMXIII - Sky Sports

54 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Because it’s not the full Australian team maybe.

That doesn't stop other sports - England soccer will often cap new players when playing friendlies against 'weaker' nations. I just can't see why calling it a PMXIII makes it any more credible than just making it a full international. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Hence it isn’t a Test Match.

It could be though. England have played without any NRL based players in the team previously. Did that mean they weren’t Test matches? As an aside what exactly differentiates a “Test” match from an international match? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

That doesn't stop other sports - England soccer will often cap new players when playing friendlies against 'weaker' nations. I just can't see why calling it a PMXIII makes it any more credible than just making it a full international. 

Someone on Twitter actually called them the PM’s XIII Kangaroos! 

13 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

It could be though. England have played without any NRL based players in the team previously. Did that mean they weren’t Test matches? As an aside what exactly differentiates a “Test” match from an international match? 

If any international fixture has an extended bench the IRL don’t give it test status.

It is upto the NGB’s themselves whether they wish to recognise it for their own records and cap it for themselves.

Wales RL and the IRL have a long standing dispute over how many international caps Elliot Kear has. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

If any international fixture has an extended bench the IRL don’t give it test status.

It is upto the NGB’s themselves whether they wish to recognise it for their own records and cap it for themselves.

Wales RL and the IRL have a long standing dispute over how many international caps Elliot Kear has. 

How often do international matches have an extended bench when tier 1 countries are involved? Is England v Fiji with 17 named players per side an international or a “Test”.

Edited by Gomersall

17 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Ones a game involving 2 Test teams,the other isn’t. 👍

6 hours ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Why not just play it as Australia vs Papua New Guinea? Why does our sport seem to hate full internationals so much??!!

Because they play this game every season (except covid years) during or following closely on) the NRL play offs when players involved in those games are not available for selection.  

So no players selected from the top 4 teams this year…and they will make up the largest chunk of the Australian WC squad. This was Australia’s third team.

• Like 1

There has been political unrest in PNG recently. I think more than a few people don't realise how dangerous PNG is. 

I know people that have gone there for work. They get shuttled from their work and back to accommodation and under 24hr security. 

new rise.jpg

8 hours ago, Pulga said:

There has been political unrest in PNG recently. I think more than a few people don't realise how dangerous PNG is. 

I know people that have gone there for work. They get shuttled from their work and back to accommodation and under 24hr security. 

A bit like Bradford then.

• Haha 1

I really hope we get to see Xavier Coates, Alex Johnston, Nene McDonald, Lachlan Lam, Edwin Ipape, Justin Olam et al. added into the Kumuls squad.

I think at full strength they can challenge to win their pool and be a legitimate threat of making a SF.

16 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

I really hope we get to see Xavier Coates, Alex Johnston, Nene McDonald, Lachlan Lam, Edwin Ipape, Justin Olam et al. added into the Kumuls squad.

I think at full strength they can challenge to win their pool and be a legitimate threat of making a SF.

Coates may get an Australian spot if that’s his preference but hopefully the rest are good to play along with Biondi-Odo, Martin, Simbiken, Derby, Alick etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jim_57 said:

Looking forward to seeing what PNG can do in the World Cup at full strength. A handful of this side should make the final squad, hopefully their NRL & England based players are all set to play.

I think this is where other countries always struggle compared to Australia. Its all very well people saying this is a second or third choice Aussie team but that second or third choice really isn't that far off first choice. There just isn't much of a drop off there.

For PNG, and most if not all the other countries, once you strip out 10 players the quality plummets. No one comes close to the strength and depth of the Aussies. PNG's first choice team will therefore see a far greater leap in standard when they get all their players compared to the difference between Australia's first choice and PMXIII.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think this is where other countries always struggle compared to Australia. Its all very well people saying this is a second or third choice Aussie team but that second or third choice really isn't that far off first choice. There just isn't much of a drop off there.

For PNG, and most if not all the other countries, once you strip out 10 players the quality plummets. No one comes close to the strength and depth of the Aussies. PNG's first choice team will therefore see a far greater leap in standard when they get all their players compared to the difference between Australia's first choice and PMXIII.

Unfortunately this is still a problem, especially for 2nd tier nations. Even the Kiwis lack depth in certain positions as evidenced by players like Nikorima & CNK making the extended squad after spending the year as fringe NRL or on the bench.

Edited by jim_57